P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

I think anyone can make conditional moves, but members can set multiple lines. I've started using it recently, it saves time. https://support.chess.com/article/333-how-do-i-make-conditional-moves 

It's a real mind f**k as well 

I think it was @craigkillie that was using them against me and I started looking for unusual moves to play just to get it up him. 

35 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I wasn't trying to get wide or take the piss or anything, it was just to save us both time. If I take a piece and I know you're going to take it back then I might as well start thinking about my next move.

No I understand that mate. It just got a bit "so you think that's going to be my move do you?" and it felt like you were capable of some Beth harman like predictions of future moves. 

Definitely made me play some sub-optimal moves 😁

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

It's a real mind f**k as well 

I think it was @craigkillie that was using them against me and I started looking for unusual moves to play just to get it up him. 

😂 One of my reasons for using them is to try to reduce the number of mistakes I make. A couple of times I've blown games because I've had a number of plans in mind depending on what my opponent did, then forgotten them or got the steps mixed up by the time it was my turn so it should reduce that. It's most handy for exchanges or checks when there are only a small number of options.

I never thought what it would be like to play against it, I would probably be like "oh you think you're clever ya pr*ck?"

52 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I never thought what it would be like to play against it, I would probably be like "oh you think you're clever ya pr*ck?"

haha yeah that's exactly how it feels. AM I THAT TRANSPARENT?

Edited by madwullie

Division B, Rd 14, el_scorgio beats arabjoe by a very sneaky backdoor checkmate that I nearly missed because I was setting up the other side of the board! GG.

All eyes on the derby now...

League B round 10

GordonEF beats Bri1962 by resignation

Really good game with way more mistakes on both sides than I'd have guessed going by the post-game analysis. The game got fairly fraught early on with @keptie getting a lot of pieces into my half. But my defence held firm and there was never more than a pawn or so in it. The piece exchanges left me with my bishop pair versus a knight pair and I used them to give him two sets of doubled pawns going into the end game. Still wasn't sure that would be enough but in the end the lack of pawn movement options meant I could force the king into moving away from squares it wanted to be on which left it pretty inevitable that I could promote at least one pawn.

Edited by Gordon EF

53 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Anyone else starting to have chess dreams?

Nightmares you mean with you in it😀

GordonEF defeats Bri1962 in round 11 Division B.

Down to a pawn race but you always had the edge with my doubled up pawns, Well played bud.

43 minutes ago, Scorge said:

Division B, Rd 14, el_scorgio beats arabjoe by a very sneaky backdoor checkmate that I nearly missed because I was setting up the other side of the board! GG.

Yeah and you've got the home advantage along with that plastic board of yours, it's gonna be tough to beat you.

Kinda on the back foot so far.

3 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

A single blunder from @gkneil was enough to hand Cardinal Richelieu a rare victory.

A single, colossal blunder she was too. Winning to Lost just like that

12 hours ago, Scorge said:

Yep, I didn't see that coming at all - well played.  After 3 defeats in a day, I may well be facing automatic relegation from Division B...

Entering the last couple of weeks of the season now and there are some absolute cracking fixtures coming out on Friday 

Proper season defining stuff across all divisions

Hope not too many league placings need to be settled on goal difference, then I have to look back on all that person’s victories and see who won their games in the fewest moves

Something I will definitely keep track of week to week next season :lol: