P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

The P&B equivalent of Nelson is definitely [mention=25417]NotThePars[/mention].
Baws oot attack from move 1. I've definitely made a few mistakes already in our game just because I've been caught out by his aggressive moves.
He did that in our first match and got beat in 8 moves!!

I think he learned not to be so aggressive against me in the rematch - it lasted 34 moves - main reason he lost was he just could not curb that over-attacking style completely - it was death by a thousand cuts for him - just gradually ground him down and picked off his pieces.

madwullie draws with @Ziggy.

Despite being up early doors on material and looking (almost) comfortable, the lads were quickly pinned back in our own half for most of the game due to Ziggy's superior managerial skills and my players being a lazy collection of wage thieves.

Could have gret tears of joy when the offer of a draw came in. Possibly the fastest I've ever accepted any offer since I lost my virginity. 

Played mate, I really felt you were going to win that and it was only a matter of time before I fucked it. I suppose I could have gone with constantly checking your king with my queen to force a draw, but that's below even me I think. 

🤝

Edit: another meaningless achievement racked up. Bring it. 

Screenshot_20210317-092656_Chess.jpg

Edited by madwullie

6 minutes ago, madwullie said:

madwullie draws with @Ziggy.

Despite being up early doors on material and looking (almost) comfortable, the lads were quickly pinned back in our own half for most of the game due to Ziggy's superior managerial skills and my players being a lazy collection of wage thieves.

Could have gret tears of joy when the offer of a draw came in. Possibly the fastest I've ever accepted any offer since I lost my virginity. 

Played mate, I really felt you were going to win that and it was only a matter of time before I fucked it. I suppose I could have gone with constantly checking your king with my queen to force a draw, but that's below even me I think. 

🤝

Edit: another meaningless achievement racked up. Bring it. 

Screenshot_20210317-092656_Chess.jpg

Cheers Wullie, I was happy giving you the material early doors as it gave me an attack and a strong position.

I really didn’t think you would survive the opening but you defended brilliantly and in the end up I’m delighted with the draw.

if I was you I’d kept playing, you were the one with all the winning chances at the end. 

15 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Cheers Wullie, I was happy giving you the material early doors as it gave me an attack and a strong position.

I really didn’t think you would survive the opening but you defended brilliantly and in the end up I’m delighted with the draw.

if I was you I’d kept playing, you were the one with all the winning chances at the end. 

Yeah when I had to move my knight back into the backline it really suffocated me. Hats off to you if you deliberately gave up the material at the start for that position. 

I really find it difficult to put games to bed, so a draw is a great result for me

16 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Yeah when I had to move my knight back into the backline it really suffocated me. Hats off to you if you deliberately gave up the material at the start for that position. 

I really find it difficult to put games to bed, so a draw is a great result for me

I deliberately gave up the material. The two pawn sacrifice is book (ish). It’s similar to the Goring Gambit.

I think my mistake was getting carried away and sacrificing the knight as well. Pawn to h4 would have been more sensible.

17 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I deliberately gave up the material. The two pawn sacrifice is book (ish). It’s similar to the Goring Gambit.

I think my mistake was getting carried away and sacrificing the knight as well. Pawn to h4 would have been more sensible.

You guys put the fear of god into me with this terminology 😁

As myself and [mention=14593]true_rover[/mention] approach 70 moves things are looking sketchy

Screenshot_20210316-161023_4cac46ecbbfb7f8aa1c94b1ec321eb15.thumb.jpg.fb95adcb6faf3c258679af018f8cda11.jpg
And we finally come to an end with me taking the victory and a 6 point week after 80 moves.

Blunders and missed wins aplenty from both sides, including apparently a miss for me after only 11 moves that would have led to victory.

Biggest set of blunders came from my mistaken move with my rook giving the opportunity for mate in 2, it not being taken let me swap queens, take the advantage and eventually win through.

Enjoyable game, kept tense for days!

11 minutes ago, true_rover said:

And we finally come to an end with me taking the victory and a 6 point week after 80 moves.

Blunders and missed wins aplenty from both sides, including apparently a miss for me after only 11 moves that would have led to victory.

Biggest set of blunders came from my mistaken move with my rook giving the opportunity for mate in 2, it not being taken let me swap queens, take the advantage and eventually win through.

Enjoyable game, kept tense for days!

I didn't realise when you said you made a blunder it was that big s blunder! 

Very enjoyable I think having 5 pieces on the board testifies to that, utter carnage at points. Brilliant.

ETA: I ran the game report and had 5 missed winsconfused fuck me GIF

Edited by 101

I didn't realise when you said you made a blunder it was that big s blunder! 
Very enjoyable I think having 5 pieces on the board testifies to that, utter carnage at points. Brilliant.

ETA: I ran the game report and had 5 missed wins200.gif&key=f58135c00889191b25cdb5415424c1d2212a7c24151495a3d87557de1ef2a0e8
That was a different blunder not long afterwards where I moved my rook to let you fork both of them!

Not one for the purists!

10 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Yes, really enjoyed that game and well won by yourself.

I just couldn't get round to get to your King, well defended and you just slowly picked at my dying corpse.

I kept going over your possible attacks and thought I would have enough, but I did have an involuntary clench when you brought that bishop into the mix. The engine tells me I made mistakes in positioning my queen but if I had taken it off that white diagonal you'd have been able to overwhelm me into my king's face. I think we're both better than last time we played which is maybe making for more enjoyable games. In my other game this week @Stellaboz is much better than last time I played him too and we're currently in a mid-game slogfest that could go either way. 

11 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

The P&B equivalent of Nelson is definitely @NotThePars.

Baws oot attack from move 1. I've definitely made a few mistakes already in our game just because I've been caught out by his aggressive moves.

11 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

He did that in our first match and got beat in 8 moves!!

I think he learned not to be so aggressive against me in the rematch - it lasted 34 moves - main reason he lost was he just could not curb that over-attacking style completely - it was death by a thousand cuts for him - just gradually ground him down and picked off his pieces.

There's no pressure on the boys this week as nobody expects a victory so it's about entertaining the fans with some baws oot crunching play. One step back? No! Two steps forward (and off a cliff)

15 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I kept going over your possible attacks and thought I would have enough, but I did have an involuntary clench when you brought that bishop into the mix. The engine tells me I made mistakes in positioning my queen but if I had taken it off that white diagonal you'd have been able to overwhelm me into my king's face. I think we're both better than last time we played which is maybe making for more enjoyable games. In my other game this week @Stellaboz is much better than last time I played him too and we're currently in a mid-game slogfest that could go either way. 

You should resign, I've got you! 

Episode 1 Wink GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

My accuracy is absolutely horse shit compared to every one else, even when I win...

Screenshot_20210317-133455_Samsung Internet.jpg

Tbh, I wouldn't take much notice. I think the computer software just makes up the accuracy figures. I've even played through some of my matches on the game report and some of their move choices can at times seem a little baffling.

5 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

Tbh, I wouldn't take much notice. I think the computer software just makes up the accuracy figures. I've even played through some of my matches on the game report and some of their move choices can at times seem a little baffling.

Depends on the position. If it's a simple one-sided position where moves are easy to see for relatively low-level players, then you're likely to get high accuracy, even if you're not that good, because the crappy second-best moves you come up with end up with much the same result as the optimal ones found by stockfish.

If it's a more complex position, where there are bizarre lines that no human being would think to play that escape from a trap or make the end result non-obvious, then you get low accuracy. The result is that accuracy isn't something to worry too much about. It's the obvious issues of 'throwing away your pieces' and 'blundering into forks' that most folks need to work on.

Edited by Aim Here