P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

I'm really not happy with that (not at you, at myself) as I felt again I let this slip through my fingers. I'm seriously debating whether to genuinely f**k off to play Wick next season and resign from the league. Genuinely self seething right now. 

Good game.

13 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I'm really not happy with that (not at you, at myself) as I felt again I let this slip through my fingers. I'm seriously debating whether to genuinely f**k off to play Wick next season and resign from the league. Genuinely self seething right now. 

Good game.

I didn't genuinely believe I could win from that stupid pawn advance to let your queen in until about 2 moves from end.

If you had advanced your a file pawn at any point to give your king an out I probably would have jacked it but keep plugging away knowing I only had to get rook to back rank 

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

I didn't genuinely believe I could win from that stupid pawn advance to let your queen in until about 2 moves from end.

If you had advanced your a file pawn at any point to give your king an out I probably would have jacked it but keep plugging away knowing I only had to get rook to back rank 

Aye I thought about doing that early in the latter exchange but got so focused on attacking that I forgot all about it. Fucking stupid stuff. 

Entering the last couple of weeks of the season now and there are some absolute cracking fixtures coming out on Friday 
Proper season defining stuff across all divisions
Hope not too many league placings need to be settled on goal difference, then I have to look back on all that person’s victories and see who won their games in the fewest moves
Something I will definitely keep track of week to week next season [emoji38]
Would head to head not be an easier way of doing it? If that's even they normally then go to number of wins, and after that there's a formula which I think is something like the points total of the opponents you beat x3 + points total of the opponents you drew with. So if there are two folk tied at the bottom with only one win, the person who beat the higher ranked opponent would be above the other.

Edit: it's called the Sonneborn–Berger score, there's a Wikipedia page explaining it.

37 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Would head to head not be an easier way of doing it? If that's even they normally then go to number of wins, and after that there's a formula which I think is something like the points total of the opponents you beat x3 + points total of the opponents you drew with. So if there are two folk tied at the bottom with only one win, the person who beat the higher ranked opponent would be above the other.

Edit: it's called the Sonneborn–Berger score, there's a Wikipedia page explaining it.

That definitely would be easier :lol:

But I’d put the latter, more complicated way in the rules before the league kicked off (in the OP)

Wouldnt like to change it midway, seems a bit SPFL-y 

1 hour ago, Frank Grimes said:

Entering the last couple of weeks of the season now and there are some absolute cracking fixtures coming out on Friday 

Proper season defining stuff across all divisions

Hope not too many league placings need to be settled on goal difference, then I have to look back on all that person’s victories and see who won their games in the fewest moves

Something I will definitely keep track of week to week next season :lol:

A lot of chess to be played but if results in League B follow form, myself, el_scorgio and keptie could end up joint second all on the same points and all having won 2 and lost 2 games against each other.

Elrohana bears NotThePars - checkmate.

This lasted a lot longer than the first match - I was well ahead after move 10 - took his Rook for free as he had to castle to avoid checkmate. He was not helped by being overly aggressive with his Bishop early on and then not retreating it when I attacked it. Screenshot_20210316_145410_com.chess.jpegScreenshot_20210316_145403_com.chess.jpeg

Division C Round 14, GordonS496 beats Johnnydun418.

I went on a bit of a ill-advised early foray with my queen and tied up my kingside bishop, knight and rook for far too long as a result. I was reasonably sure I had just enough to keep my king safe from Johnny's heavy attack but it was a close-run thing, I had to sweat my defence for a while and pull my way back into it.

Good game and a tense affair.

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I won't give it away but White should be able to force a win with a few more moves.

Pressure is on now :lol:

Edited by 101

59 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Elrohana bears NotThePars - checkmate.

This lasted a lot longer than the first match - I was well ahead after move 10 - took his Rook for free as he had to castle to avoid checkmate. He was not helped by being overly aggressive with his Bishop early on and then not retreating it when I attacked it. Screenshot_20210316_145410_com.chess.jpegScreenshot_20210316_145403_com.chess.jpeg

Baby steps, mate. I'll beat you in 2040. Or you'll be dead. Either way,

this.jpg

Pressure off - did the analysis again - black should escape it if they are paying attention - black goes on to win.

One wrong move though and white could win - ironically by black following one of the basic rules of thumb.

FFS! [emoji2]

Not sure I'm cut out for the high pressure environment of a P&B Chess League Div B relegation battle!

Division B, Rd 13, el_scorgio beats Bri1962 by checkmate. One home win apiece, another good rumble this with all 4 knights torched inside 8 moves! Crucially managed to get hold of the centre with both bishops, and as soon as black castled the corner was pretty much covered and the slow lifting of the umpire's hand could begin. GG. 

Edited by Scorge

Best piece of chess advice I've been given - look at your opponent''s move.

Flip the board round and see it from their point of view - think about why they played the move they did. Look at how they might react - some of the best traps are those that trap by playing to the opponent's instincts.

4 minutes ago, Scorge said:

Division B, Rd 13, el_scorgio beats Bri1962 by checkmate. One home win apiece, another good rumble this with all 4 knights torched inside 8 moves! Crucially managed to get hold of the centre with both bishops, and as soon as black castled the corner was pretty much covered and the slow lifting of the umpire's hand could begin. GG. 

Another bad castling move by me should have just left it. I ended up with all my major players stranded on the bottom line unable to move but that was mostly due to your excellent moves which left me nowhere to go, it was a pretty comprehensive win.