P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

7 hours ago, Stellaboz said:
7 hours ago, Loki said:
GCarlos9 defeats Mackieboz by heart break.

I'm utterly distraught at that. I should have moved my queen out before she got fenced in? I dunno. I'm still new to this and feel like I'm at least putting up a fight in most of my games, maybe next season we'll see some progress.

I'm in absolutely no position to give out advice, I'm a rook down and with my backside hanging out against eindhovendee right now, but I'll say that I've found the lessons on Chess.com very helpful and have been working my way through them. I've also been doing a fair amount of puzzles. I'm definitely a lot better than I was in my first couple of matches because of this.

Another thing that's really useful is the analysis tool, the first button on the left under the notation. You can play through your planned moves during matches and see what they board looks like, take guesses at what you opponent could do. It's a good way of visualising two or three moves ahead. And someone on here suggested using the notes tab, I sometimes jot things down like WATCH BISHOP ON B2 so I don't forget when I come back to the board hours or a day later.

As I say, I'm pretty poor but as someone who's maybe just ahead of you I know what it's like to be in your shoes.

I'm in absolutely no position to give out advice, I'm a rook down and with my backside hanging out against eindhovendee right now, but I'll say that I've found the lessons on Chess.com very helpful and have been working my way through them. I've also been doing a fair amount of puzzles. I'm definitely a lot better than I was in my first couple of matches because of this.
Another thing that's really useful is the analysis tool, the first button on the left under the notation. You can play through your planned moves during matches and see what they board looks like, take guesses at what you opponent could do. It's a good way of visualising two or three moves ahead. And someone on here suggested using the notes tab, I sometimes jot things down like WATCH BISHOP ON B2 so I don't forget when I come back to the board hours or a day later.
As I say, I'm pretty poor but as someone who's maybe just ahead of you I know what it's like to be in your shoes.
Puzzles really are a good way to sharpen your play.

And just like that I make exactly the mistake that made me want to chuck this daily format - in the long gap between moves I forgot that I needed to take something before making the next move, blundered my other rook, hence...

Division C Round 11, Eindhovendee beats GordonS496 by stupidity. 

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

And just like that I make exactly the mistake that made me want to chuck this daily format - in the long gap between moves I forgot that I needed to take something before making the next move, blundered my other rook, hence...

Division C Round 11, Eindhovendee beats GordonS496 by stupidity. 

I get what you mean, if we had sat across a table I think I would have lost because of that fucking pawn sat on A3. 

As it was I could go through options and take my time, I think the delays suit you when you're under pressure and you definitely had the upper hand until you gave away the rook.

3 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

I get what you mean, if we had sat across a table I think I would have lost because of that fucking pawn sat on A3. 

As it was I could go through options and take my time, I think the delays suit you when you're under pressure and you definitely had the upper hand until you gave away the rook.

I'll be interested to see what the engine says but I'm too pissed off tonight to look.

I blundered that bishop at the start. When I'd castled kingside and you castled queenside I decided to ignore the centre and get wired in, so I peeled off your defending knight with a trade and took the weak pawn in the end. Combination of inexperience and lack of ability meant I didn't realise you would just move your b pawn forward one and I'd be stuck. But then I thought, well, if I'm losing it, let's wreck the place on the way out, so I flung that pawn up and took the b pawn with my bishop as he went down in a blaze of glory.

After that it was all about trying to exploit your under-defended king to make up for being a piece down and I was always a move or two from getting in. I had to move quickly before you brought your kingside pieces over too and it took you a while to extricate them. With the advanced pawn there it was always one move from a checkmate if you shifted your queen, so it tied that sucker down. If you'd taken my juicy rook with the bishop like I wanted you to, you were toast. But you saw through it and your manoeuvre to trade your white bishop for my rook with that check was a thing of beauty. My last hope was a rook trade on my back rank, protect the king with the knight and stick more pawns up that unguarded side, but I absolutely fked it by skipping a step. Playing on after that would have been an insult to you.

In both the games against you I've blown playable positions by moving something prematurely, which I never do in live games. Your clearly better than me but I'm annoyed I didn't make it tougher.

Well played, you were always one wrong move from losing because of that open king and you tidied up nicely. 

Two results from Division B:
Round 11: el_scorgio beats markf268 by checkmate.

A game that was edging along until I missed an upcoming trap of my bishop for return of a pawn at best. A quick follow up removal of my knight left me with no chance to bring it back.

Round 12: markf268 beats flamingalah01 by checkmate.

A win described as "sudden" by the analysis engine - one mistake that was capitalised on made the result inevitable in the end.

Division B, Round 11, elscorgio beats markf268 by checkmate. Another patient unpicking after a tentative early game, got a couple of pieces up and covered the corner, was tempted to strip pieces with the rook but saw a mate so just killed it there and then. GG.

Elrohana beats Bri1962 - resignation.

It looks like a thumping win but to be fair hinged on one mistake - Bri1962 castled leaving his Queen defending 2 pieces.

I took one and he took with his Queen leaving the other undefended.

He tried to trap my Rook that had taken the piece but I had a well-placed knight and Queen to support the Rook. Screenshot_20210309_183845_com.chess.jpegScreenshot_20210309_183009_com.huawei.android.launcher.jpeg

30 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Elrohana beats Bri1962 - resignation.

It looks like a thumping win but to be fair hinged on one mistake - Bri1962 castled leaving his Queen defending 2 pieces.

I took one and he took with his Queen leaving the other undefended.

He tried to trap my Rook that had taken the piece but I had a well-placed knight and Queen to support the Rook. Screenshot_20210309_183845_com.chess.jpegScreenshot_20210309_183009_com.huawei.android.launcher.jpeg

Err....it didn't just look like a thumping win it was. Castling was a bad move and at the time i did it was dubious about it and once you got that first piece it went from bad to worse. Bad day for the Lichties but we'll get our revenge at Dens on Saturday... 

Well played you though, you got a sniff and basically destroyed me.

Err....it didn't just look like a thumping win it was. Castling was a bad move and at the time i did it was dubious about it and once you got that first piece it went from bad to worse. Bad day for the Lichties but we'll get our revenge at Dens on Saturday... 
Well played you though, you got a sniff and basically destroyed me.
You are too hard on yourself - it was your only error.

You were playing a nice tight game till that point - probably the castle felt right at the time.

It would have been the right move one move later if you'd moved the bishop - your knight was fine where it was - I would never have taken it with the Bishop on a straight swap.

AH13STU beats madwullie. Somehow kept myself in it for ages, then handed out a simple fork for my last bishop and rook getting too clever and trying to move in for a cheeky (and pointless, ultimately), check. 

Gave the boys such a leathering after the match that I wouldn't be surprised to spend the weekend in the cells tbh. So. Angry.

Good game mate. By a mile the best account I've given myself against you. Playing in the league has definitely improved my game loads. Nowhere near as rusty now. Still fancy a championship berth next season for a bit less stress mind you

🤝

Edited by madwullie

Think I got away with one there. Got the piece early doors but your pieces were more active and your knight found some nice space on d3.

Had a few beers after work tonight with my knight which caused him to become disorientated to allow you to gain back the piece.

Fork wasn't nice but still not sure if you may have resigned too early. Not fully played through but after you possibly having to sacrifice the bish for passed pawn, don't know if you still have drawing opportunities even though I have the knight.

Certainly a tough game, well played.