When would you like to have lived?

Bairnardo

7 hours ago, Detournement said:

I was going to slag that but thinking about it Rage Against The Machine, Bjork and Cyrpess Hill in the Strathy Park is a high point in human history.

I was there. I was poor AF student so I couldn't afford a ticket, we watched from the hill that the mausoleum sits on. You could see clean over the fence and were closer to the stage than some of the paying punters. I was right into RATM then and seeing them on stage with Cypress Hill was unbelievable. Killing in the Name Of was everything you'd have wanted. I wish I'd been down the front with my pals rather than outside the fence with my girlfriend (now wife), but you can't have everything. Most folk didn't know that much about the first T in the Park, they did a shit job promoting it and before widespread internet it was hard to know what bands were even playing. If I'd known what it was going to be like I would have pawned something for a ticket.

Globally, I've always thought the best period was between the fall of the Berlin Wall and Iraq's invasion of Kuwait - about 9 months when everything seemed to be going the right way. Things were still pretty good until 9/11. Between global conflicts and financial shithousery, nothing has been quite the same since.

15 hours ago, Detournement said:

I was going to slag that but thinking about it Rage Against The Machine, Bjork and Cyrpess Hill in the Strathy Park is a high point in human history.

19 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

I was born in '91 but I'd like to have been old enough to really appreciate the 90s. You only ever hear people say good things about the 90s (except Celtic fans) and it sounds like it was just a decade long night oot.

I think the 2010s were arguably the strongest decade for dance music given its huge resurgence and proliferation but it must've been fucking class to experience its original heyday when it was the real counterculture unlike those Tory b*****ds doing Britpop. All the illegal raves these days feel like pale imitations of what went on 20+ years ago.

19 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

I was born in '91 but I'd like to have been old enough to really appreciate the 90s. You only ever hear people say good things about the 90s (except Celtic fans) and it sounds like it was just a decade long night oot.

The 90s were pretty decent, good music, good drugs and i had fantastic hair, or so I'm told its all a bit hazy... My memory that is not my hair. 

Would like to see Amsterdam during the Golden Age, maybe have a glass of genever with Rembrandt - i used to have an apartment a few doors down from one of his former abodes. 

1 hour ago, stevieKTID said:

The 90s were pretty decent, good music, good drugs and i had fantastic hair, or so I'm told its all a bit hazy... My memory that is not my hair. 

Would like to see Amsterdam during the Golden Age, maybe have a glass of genever with Rembrandt - i used to have an apartment a few doors down from one of his former abodes. 

You'd probably have had to buy it for him. Old Rembrandt wasn't very good with money.

Would love to have experienced 1960's London. Would also love to have just experienced Edinburgh and general life through the 80's and 90's. I was born 93, so my 90's memories are sadly quite vague.

Most of it comes from music. I'd have loved to have been in 1960's and 1970's London to see the Mods, and the early days of Reggae as well as the roots of multiculturalism in the UK. The 80's and New Wave scene would've been great, and I'd also have loved to have been around to enjoy the rave culture of the early 90's.

I'd love to have been going to games in the 80s too. My Dad was born in 1972 so went to a lot of games as a young one in the 80's and he could talk about it fondly for hours.

Seems as though back then, the younger generations had a lot of fun, despite being in more challenging conditions. Today, it seems to be the polar opposite. People my age and younger seem to be ****ing miserable all the time.

1 hour ago, Connor1874 said:

Would love to have experienced 1960's London. Would also love to have just experienced Edinburgh and general life through the 80's and 90's. I was born 93, so my 90's memories are sadly quite vague.

Most of it comes from music. I'd have loved to have been in 1960's and 1970's London to see the Mods, and the early days of Reggae as well as the roots of multiculturalism in the UK. The 80's and New Wave scene would've been great, and I'd also have loved to have been around to enjoy the rave culture of the early 90's.

I'd love to have been going to games in the 80s too. My Dad was born in 1972 so went to a lot of games as a young one in the 80's and he could talk about it fondly for hours.

Seems as though back then, the younger generations had a lot of fun, despite being in more challenging conditions. Today, it seems to be the polar opposite. People my age and younger seem to be ****ing miserable all the time.

No future. Mark Fisher calls it depressive hedonia.

Edited by NotThePars

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

If you want depressive try reading a thread where the years you grew up in are described as some kind of sepia tinged nostalgia festival.

You were at Menswear gigs giving it large we all know what it is

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

You'd probably have had to buy it for him. Old Rembrandt wasn't very good with money.

Oh yeah no doubt, jokes on him though as I'd sneak back with one of his works, assuming we're allowed to come back that is. 

Genghis Khan's army did alright out of horse milk, my good man.
Although to his enemies he was more of a Genghis Khant.
There's a great book called "Genghis Khan and the making of the modern world" which sets out his achievements......which were truly massive.

Sure he could be ruthless and brutal but he was an outstanding leader and military tactician who united the tribes and conquered huge walled cities in China through using different coloured tents !!
The Mongolians.....a great bunch of lads.

I'm slightly younger than you and I'd have to agree, everybody seems more miserable but can guarantee there is 100x more rules and regulations to abide by with our generation

26 minutes ago, Empty It said:
4 hours ago, Connor1874 said:

I'm slightly younger than you and I'd have to agree, everybody seems more miserable but can guarantee there is 100x more rules and regulations to abide by with our generation

Decent point, but do you think it's more rules as such, or more the case that we live our lives far more openly than previous generations? Social media and the likes, is responsible for most of these new rules, but is entirely optional.

By contrast, we live in an age where people are far more acceptant and open-minded about how people live their lives. The likes of the LGBT+ and BAME community for example, can thankfully live a far more normal life than say 50 years ago.

The Romans are absolutely fascinating but it's worth remembering that they were also supremacists who regularly indulged in genocide, kept and sold slaves and were war mongering fucks. They were pretty much the Nazis of their day.

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The Romans are absolutely fascinating but it's worth remembering that they were also supremacists who regularly indulged in genocide, kept and sold slaves and were war mongering fucks. They were pretty much the Nazis of their day.

Very much so - a lot of the good stuff we admire from classical civilisation is actually Greek...by and large the Romans were a much darker proposition. The Nazis took a lot of their iconography from Rome...the salute was a direct lift for example:

The Roman Salute | Military Amino Amino