Binman decapitates snowman, loses job, refuses to apologise

ICTChris

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

None of them come out of it well - a simple apology from the binman would've probably kept him in the clear.  Probably more to it than meets the eye.  

No offence to any bin men reading but I don't expect much from them other than the previously mentioned avoiding damage to cars and getting the rubbish in the lorry.

I don't expect much insight into the impact of his attitude towards snowmen on the emotionally vulnerable.

Back in the day I thought bin men were all a bit mad and probably just out of jail, but it didn't matter as long as they emptied the bin.

3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

So would you if your kid's snowman had been decapitated in front of him.

That is true.  Installing personal CCTV must've been done to combat harassment from previous binmen and troublesome neighbours.  They must've suffered more than anyone on Earth lately.

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

No offence to any bin men reading but I don't expect much from them other than the previously mentioned avoiding damage to cars and getting the rubbish in the lorry.

I don't expect much insight into the impact of his attitude towards snowmen on the emotionally vulnerable.

Back in the day I thought bin men were all a bit mad and probably just out of jail, but it didn't matter as long as they emptied the bin.

2 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

That is true.  Installing personal CCTV must've been done to combat harassment from previous binmen and troublesome neighbours.  They must've suffered more than anyone on Earth lately.

But, surely the bin man understands that an apology would likely have defused the situation.  I suspect his firing may have been as much due to him being stubborn on that than kicking the snowman's heid in.  Or, there is more to this we know. 

5 minutes ago, hk blues said:

But, surely the bin man understands that an apology would likely have defused the situation.  I suspect his firing may have been as much due to him being stubborn on that than kicking the snowman's heid in.  Or, there is more to this we know. 

I doubt he does, he appears to have given it some thought from what I read.

I might apologise without meaning a word as a a quick way out of a situation and the quickest way of moving on with as little damage as possible to me.

I'm not sure he has that level of insight. I don't doubt he is a tube and his mates are glad to be rid of him.

Eta. He also might have thought, fūck that, who wants to be a bin man any way.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

23 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It's all about expectations.

Expect the binmen to get the lorry in and out without damaging cars and get most of the rubbish in to the back of it. Job done.

They seem to expect some kind of council Uncle Remus, whistling Zippity Doo Dah and chatting to the animate and inanimate creatures he encounters on his minimum wage round and God help him if he doesn't meet that expectation.

Minimum wage? Bin men are paid quite well for what they do.

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

I doubt he does, he appears to have given it some thought from what I read.

I might apologise without meaning a word as a a quick way out of a situation and the quickest way of moving on with as little damage as possible to me.

I'm not sure he has that level of insight. I don't doubt he is a tube and his mates are glad to be rid of him.

Yep, the apology needn't be genuine.   I suppose it's a sign of maturity to apologise even when you don't feel you are in the wrong for an easier life - as a married man I can subscribe to that line of thinking.

From other info not mentioned here , it seems you may be right that's he a bit of a tube anyway so I'm struggling to sympathise too much.  The couple are clearly dicks though.  

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Minimum wage? Bin men are paid quite well for what they do.

Aye, depends on the area 'n' all that, but I worked with a guy who left to lift the bins for the council, and he made sure to let us know he was getting a couple of quid per hour more than us. Better hours and conditions too. Seems like it's minimum wage for the private firms, of course.

I won't link to it, but one of the top hits for "bin man wage" appears to be an Express article absolutely frothing over how much the plebs get paid for taking away their rubbish  :lol: