Do Rangers get a "free pass" from referees?

Does Rangers get a "free pass" from referees?  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Not sure about the current one (is there even one at the moment?) but the previous two compliance officers reviewed the full live coverage of every game. 

Which then makes you ask the question: do you think it is reasonable to believe that only 5 teams have had incidents worth being retrospectively punished for since 2010. Absolutely not, in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, bennett said:

Highlighted by a partisan media while other teams get a free pass, very interesting. 

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

I think it points to the opposite in my opinion. It suggests that teams are getting away with offences during games and are then not picked up afterwards by the compliance officer due to comparatively low media scrutiny.

Both of these would be rational explanations in a world where every premiership  match was not covered and dissected to make them seem vaguely interesting on Sportscene.

If there were so many non-Rangers offences that went unpunished during the match, the likes of Stewart and "Thommo" would pick them up for the edit.

What actually tends to happen is that stamps like Morelos one on Porteous are punished at the time, discussed and we move on. You guys simply get more latitude from the match ref.

3 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Not sure about the current one (is there even one at the moment?) but the previous two compliance officers reviewed the full live coverage of every game. 

come on man. If you believe this, you'll believe anything.

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

Both of these would be rational explanations in a world where every premiership  match was not covered and dissected to make them seem vaguely interesting on Sportscene.

If there were so many non-Rangers offences that went unpunished during the match, the likes of Stewart and "Thommo" would pick them up for the edit.

What actually tends to happen is that stamps like Morelos one on Porteous are punished at the time, discussed and we move on. You guys simply get more latitude from the match ref.

Which then goes back to my previous point - there are numerous examples of almost identical incidents going unpunished compared to the most recent Morelos ban. For example, McNulty for Hibs when he stamped on Sean Clare. That went unpunished. If it's not due to media coverage as you suggest, then why the disparity?

1 hour ago, CCB19035 said:

It's the same with Celtic. Scott Brown has been able to flail arms and kick folk for years. 

It's the way Scottish football is. For me, it's not some widespread conspiracy, rather it's totally weak refereeing. You have these two huge fish in a smaller pond, with supporters up and down the country, and any decision a referee makes to the detriment of either side of the divide will be labelled as a supporter of either of, and the media will go into overdrive. f**k me, folk even obsess over the fact Collum was a Catholic school teacher, or that Bobby Madden frequented a specific pub.  

You see last night, Roofe makes a terrible tackle, earlier that day Rangers were bemoaning consistency, and he gets away with a yellow. It's not a surprise. Its the same in every country, English sides couldn't get a penalty at Old Trafford for ages. It's not conspiratorial, it's just terrible, weak and shameful refereeing. The same with the Morelos stamp, the ref is looking right at it, and decides it's a yellow, the only reason he can give for that, is he's either incompetent, or totally terrified to make a decision.

Its the same with Scott Browns elbow the other night, he got away with one.   

Whenever you watch an Old Firm game on sky, and there's a bad tackle in the first 10 mins or so, worthy of a yellow, you'll notice the lack of booking, commentators will say "good, the ref needs to let that go for the sake of the occasion." When actually, referees should be applying a consistent standard across all games, no matter the magnitude. 

The influence and stronghold the old firm have over our game, is largely the reason why referees appear to give Rangers or Celtic questionable decisions. I don't believe these men lack integrity, as in they are cheats, rather they lack the stomach to make big decisions against the two biggest clubs. 

Just my opinion. I'm sure there's evidence out there. 

Absolutely this.

I don't think the referees are consciously bias. I think they're shit scared of all the flak that comes with it afterwards. It must be a nightmare seeing your name in the paper, hearing it on the radio questioning how good you are at your job because you've made a mistake.

I couldn't tell you who the ref was that made the mistake last night but you certainly know who it was when it is a decision that goes against either of the Old Firm.

In regards to the overall quality of referees, I thought the ref for the Aberdeen v Livi game on Tuesday was awful. Almost every 50/50 decision for throw ins went in our favour when you could see from a mile away that it was a Livi throw. You then have the other extreme of Lewis Ferguson collecting a booking for being second to the ball for a header. It was absolutely a foul but never a yellow. It was nowhere near as bad as the 'challenge' on GMS in the league cup final a few years ago and there was no mention that we should have had a pen there. Lewis then made a late challenge later in to the game where he was lucky to escape a second booking and the referee didn't bother to have a word with him.

1 hour ago, G51 said:

If you think I'm going to go to bat for the Conservative Party you haven't spent much time in the politics forum.

PS: how on earth did you manage to spell indiscretions like that lmao

Aye. Seen this levelled at you a few times when you've been very honest and opinion about your support for independence.

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

Which then goes back to my previous point - there are numerous examples of almost identical incidents going unpunished compared to the most recent Morelos ban. For example, McNulty for Hibs when he stamped on Sean Clare. That went unpunished. If it's not due to media coverage as you suggest, then why the disparity?

Mcnulty got a 2 match ban................

5 minutes ago, AJF said:

It does suggest that, but that doesn't take into account the discrepancies in decision making. If we use the most recent Morelos incident as an example, there are 3 other almost identical incidents that spring to mind that went unpunished.

I can think of the mcgregor one but the other two weren't on the highlights. The McGregor one probably was a stamp but was really arguable and could have been accidental. Morelos was absolutely blatant. If you're claiming those as almost identical incidents then i doubt your objectivity. 

3 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

If Gillian Anderson tells me there is other life out there (or anything else she wants me to do), I’m in.

Seriously though. Is the inference that the Compliance Officer watched all 6 Premiership games every week, or all 21 League games every week?

Cos one of those is a problem and the other is impossible.

4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I can think of the mcgregor one but the other two weren't on the highlights. The McGregor one probably was a stamp but was really arguable and could have been accidental. Morelos was absolutely blatant. If you're claiming those as almost identical incidents then i doubt your objectivity. 

No, I never meant the McGregor incident that same game (I also believe that was accidental). The incidents I had in mind were McNulty v Hearts, Naismith v Celtic and Griffiths v Hamilton.

9 minutes ago, AJF said:

No, I never meant the McGregor incident that same game (I also believe that was accidental). The incidents I had in mind were McNulty v Hearts, Naismith v Celtic and Griffiths v Hamilton.

Fair enough, i've not seen them and have no case for doubting your objectivity. 

They get as much of a free pass as Celtic do, that is to say that referees officiate their games in the knowledge that making a game-changing decision against either of those clubs which turns out to be wrong will see them subjected to intense media scrutiny and probable abuse/threats. If they f**k up and cost Accies a game, well, who cares apart from a few hundred fans?

Edited by HibsFan