Dons v Saints - The Jim Goodwin Audition For A Big Job

Guest Bob Mahelp

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:
8 hours ago, GAD said:

The people of Aberdeen South actually elected Ross Thomson.
We know who the Tories are.

To be fair Aberdeen South does include some of the poshest parts of the entire country. Not much wonder its tory.

It also includes Torry and Ferryhill weirdly enough. Very anti-Tory. 

I reckon it's a perpetual tug of war between them and the millionaires in Milltimber and Cults. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Hard to believe this went to page 2. 

The Saints bois must be terrified to talk about the game tomorrow after Wednesday night...

My football mood is fairly polaric at the moment. Buoyant or despondent. Currently the latter.

I think a fully fit and firing Saints side would be completely capable of taking something from this game. Hell, we gave you a game much earlier in the season when we were still struggling. But injuries are spreading round our squad faster than... well, you can finish that sentence yourself. Its hard to see that it won't take its toll.

Looking forward to either scenario tomorrow:

A) we're shite again and lose/struggle to a draw, followed by another week of snotters and speculation about the manager or: 

B) a rejuvenated Aberdeen finally find their shooting boots, by reverting to the classic 4-2-3-1 with Andy Considine whipping in crosses masterfully as a bombing left back. McInnes tells everyone to get it up them

3 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Hard to believe this went to page 2. 

The Saints bois must be terrified to talk about the game tomorrow after Wednesday night...

I was happy with our 1st half performance on Wednesday, even after losing one of our best players to injury. 

The 2nd half was poor, but we were still in the game with just over 10 minutes to play.

The Celtic game will have no bearing on tomorrow's or any other game we still have play.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

Certainly a few hints that McGinn will start tomorrow.

Announce 4-2-3-1 please.

Lewis

McCrorie, Hoban, Taylor, Consi

Ferguson, McGeouch 

McGinn, McLennan, Hayes

Kamberi 

Hendry up front by the sounds of it. Kamberi is still MIA somewhere. 

If Kamberi doesn't even make the bench, I'll be a happier person. While he's not your only goal threat, he's clearly the person McInnes expects most of the goals to come from in the run in to the end of the season.

No idea what our team line-up to be, we've had a punishing schedule mixed with multiple injuries and the lingering effects of Covid. What was looking a good top 6 chance might end up being a rather "meh" 7th/8th. Which in the grand scheme of things wouldn't be dreadful, but if it ends up that way it would seem like a missed opportunity.

We are definitely better than the 0-4 scorelines suggests, the "penalty" was an aberration of referring but we let our heads drop (something that's not happened all season until now) and I'm sure Goodwin will have gotten tore into the squad explaining that isn't acceptable. Let's hope the Aberdeen players fall foul of complacency though and assume we're a busted flush.

We've beaten Aberdeen once this season, and really should have beaten them twice more, and it's quite clear (and I'm sure @kingjoey can confirm this) McInnes is under pressure to get results. A 2-1 away victory would be a very sweet result for us indeed.

1 hour ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

Certainly a few hints that McGinn will start tomorrow.

Announce 4-2-3-1 please.

Lewis

McCrorie, Hoban, Taylor, Consi

Ferguson, McGeouch 

McGinn, McLennan, Hayes

Kamberi 

I don't dislike this, but I'd be tempted to give Kennedy a chance as the #10 rather than McLennan. Probably have to reluctantly agree with moving McCrorie to right-back if it's a four; either that, or Hoban plays there with Campbell covering left-back, which is far from ideal but he has done it fleetingly in the past. Agree that McGinn should start. 

45 minutes ago, Ric said:

If Kamberi doesn't even make the bench, I'll be a happier person. While he's not your only goal threat, he's clearly the person McInnes expects most of the goals to come from in the run in to the end of the season.

No idea what our team line-up to be, we've had a punishing schedule mixed with multiple injuries and the lingering effects of Covid. What was looking a good top 6 chance might end up being a rather "meh" 7th/8th. Which in the grand scheme of things wouldn't be dreadful, but if it ends up that way it would seem like a missed opportunity.

We are definitely better than the 0-4 scorelines suggests, the "penalty" was an aberration of referring but we let our heads drop (something that's not happened all season until now) and I'm sure Goodwin will have gotten tore into the squad explaining that isn't acceptable. Let's hope the Aberdeen players fall foul of complacency though and assume we're a busted flush.

We've beaten Aberdeen once this season, and really should have beaten them twice more, and it's quite clear (and I'm sure @kingjoey can confirm this) McInnes is under pressure to get results. A 2-1 away victory would be a very sweet result for us indeed.

Yep, Derek is under pressure, particularly from a number of our fanbase. You’re hoping that our players  fall foul of complacency? Well that’s nae happening.

23 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I don't dislike this, but I'd be tempted to give Kennedy a chance as the #10 rather than McLennan. Probably have to reluctantly agree with moving McCrorie to right-back if it's a four; either that, or Hoban plays there with Campbell covering left-back, which is far from ideal but he has done it fleetingly in the past. Agree that McGinn should start. 

Kennedy and McLennan are pretty similar with their contributions too. Not enough from either of them and we really need one of them to step up. 

Probably unpopular opinion but McCrorie is wasted in midfield. He doesn't have the same level of ball retention as he did at the start of the season. 5th best in the league with tackles won so for me, he's got to play either RB or CB.

3 minutes ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

Kennedy and McLennan are pretty similar with their contributions too. Not enough from either of them and we really need one of them to step up. 

Probably unpopular opinion but McCrorie is wasted in midfield. He doesn't have the same level of ball retention as he did at the start of the season. 5th best in the league with tackles won so for me, he's got to play either RB or CB.

I think Kennedy is better technically than McLennan, but I agree that we are not currently getting enough from either of them. St Johnstone fans on here, if I remember correctly, said that some of Kennedy's most impressive performances for them were as a #10, so hopefully we might get more out of him there; McInnes seems wedded to using him wide, though. 

McCrorie is a difficult one. Ferguson is much better, but he and McCrorie have fairly similar attributes; I think moving McCrorie into defence, where we are currently short, and partnering Ferguson with McGeouch might give us more balance - but, to be honest, I still don't know where McCrorie's best position is after the best part of a full season watching him now. 

Assuming our only fit striker starts up front-I thought McGinn and Kennedy linked up well last week. If one is on the wing and the other behind the striker we might actually be able to unlock a defence. I'd have Kennedy on the wing for pace. Hayes has been poor the last couple of weeks and McLennan has offered little but Hayes looks more likely to do something positive, through sheer effort. So he gets the other side. That leaves us three midfielders and three centre backs, so 352 or 3511 it is. I'd like to see Ferguson most advanced of the three with McCrorie bombing past. 

Then all changing after 5 minutes due to someone dislocating their pelvis. 

51 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I think Kennedy is better technically than McLennan, but I agree that we are not currently getting enough from either of them. St Johnstone fans on here, if I remember correctly, said that some of Kennedy's most impressive performances for them were as a #10, so hopefully we might get more out of him there; McInnes seems wedded to using him wide, though. 

McCrorie is a difficult one. Ferguson is much better, but he and McCrorie have fairly similar attributes; I think moving McCrorie into defence, where we are currently short, and partnering Ferguson with McGeouch might give us more balance - but, to be honest, I still don't know where McCrorie's best position is after the best part of a full season watching him now. 

He’s not got enough football in him to play midfield in reality, he plays in defence for Scotland u21s and Rangers let him go for a reason. Also along with Ferguson he fouls too often when not necessary.

Energy and defensive qualities are his assets so defence it is. 

10 minutes ago, big al said:

He’s not got enough football in him to play midfield in reality, he plays in defence for Scotland u21s and Rangers let him go for a reason. Also along with Ferguson he fouls too often when not necessary.

Energy and defensive qualities are his assets so defence it is. 

I agree that he is limited and I probably don't rate him quite as highly as most Aberdeen fans, but I think it's a bit too much to say he doesn't have enough football in him to play midfield - he is still one of the better central midfielders in the league and was an important factor in making the 3-4-3 work earlier in the season.