Dons v Saints - The Jim Goodwin Audition For A Big Job

Guest Bob Mahelp

2 hours ago, Ric said:

If Kamberi doesn't even make the bench, I'll be a happier person. While he's not your only goal threat, he's clearly the person McInnes expects most of the goals to come from in the run in to the end of the season.

No idea what our team line-up to be, we've had a punishing schedule mixed with multiple injuries and the lingering effects of Covid. What was looking a good top 6 chance might end up being a rather "meh" 7th/8th. Which in the grand scheme of things wouldn't be dreadful, but if it ends up that way it would seem like a missed opportunity.

We are definitely better than the 0-4 scorelines suggests, the "penalty" was an aberration of referring but we let our heads drop (something that's not happened all season until now) and I'm sure Goodwin will have gotten tore into the squad explaining that isn't acceptable. Let's hope the Aberdeen players fall foul of complacency though and assume we're a busted flush.

We've beaten Aberdeen once this season, and really should have beaten them twice more, and it's quite clear (and I'm sure @kingjoey can confirm this) McInnes is under pressure to get results. A 2-1 away victory would be a very sweet result for us indeed.

You should have won two of the games. A draw may have been fairer in the first game.

35 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

You should have won two of the games. A draw may have been fairer in the first game.

Nonsense. We should have won the game where Ferguson was sent off, and you snatched victory from defeat with a late winner in the other.

Edited by Ric

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

What a great statement from Jim Goodwin today about diving. The first “football” person that has come out with what football fans have been saying for years. 

What did he say? Also did he have an opinion on kicking lumps out of other players? 

13 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

It will have at kick off anyway.

Aye, but where are the points at that moment?

In regard to the diving thing, he's right, and it's only because in general we've somehow managed to assemble a squad that doesn't seem to fall down at the slightest of touches that he can say that with a bit of conviction.

That said, I've noticed it more so recently. Erwin's against Motherwell, which resulted in a penalty, Obika against some other team I can't think of just now but he got carded for it and Brophy has fallen over a little too easily in the few appearances he's had for us. It's almost guaranteed that as soon as Goodwin makes a stand (no pun intended) someone in our squad will get caught not standing, as it were.

Edited by Ric

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Nonsense. We should have won the game where Ferguson was sent off, and you snatched victory from defeat with a late winner in the other.

Well aye, you should have won the game where Ferguson was sent off and your striker missed a sitter in the final seconds.

In the other game you pressed brilliantly for 75 minutes until some of your players could do no more than jog. Created no real chances and scored a screamer. A draw would have been fair but everybody in the match thread at the time seemed to accept the winning goal was coming.

22 minutes ago, coprolite said:

What did he say? Also did he have an opinion on kicking lumps out of other players? 

He said that divers should be named and shamed. He started it by naming Jamie Murphy. Among other things he said the opposite of Gerrard, in that he wants the Compliance Officer involved more, particularly for cheating.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Hibs game is off tomorrow, so the game at Pittodrie assumes more importance for us.....it's effectively our game in hand. 

Anything less than 3 points and we're just making it piss easy for Hibs. 

37 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

He said that divers should be named and shamed. He started it by naming Jamie Murphy. Among other things he said the opposite of Gerrard, in that he wants the Compliance Officer involved more, particularly for cheating.

First part's going to be a laugh and hopefully we don't get a talking point on it  from tomorrow's game. 

Agree with the second point. 

Think Aberdeen will win this. Whenever the pressure is mounting on McInnes he always seems to pull out a win and this is an ideal opportunity for him to do that.
Our record at Pittodrie is fairly awful, we haven’t won there in the league since Gareth Wardlaw’s over head kick in 2011.
Aberdeen had a midweek off while we played for the third midweek in a row. Our squad is clearly being stretched by the hectic schedule and we’ve picked up some injuries to key players.
I expect some rotation today given our next four games are home matches against teams around or below us.
Can see Obika being rested in favour of Erwin as he’s played a lot of minutes lately and probably MacPherson coming in too. Surely Aberdeen will have too much for us.
2-0

13 hours ago, Ric said:

In regard to the diving thing, he's right, and it's only because in general we've somehow managed to assemble a squad that doesn't seem to fall down at the slightest of touches that he can say that with a bit of conviction.

That said, I've noticed it more so recently. Erwin's against Motherwell, which resulted in a penalty, Obika against some other team I can't think of just now but he got carded for it and Brophy has fallen over a little too easily in the few appearances he's had for us. It's almost guaranteed that as soon as Goodwin makes a stand (no pun intended) someone in our squad will get caught not standing, as it were.

Im not being funny, but doesnt that kinda prove that your first paragraph is horseshite?

Maybe Goodwin (clearly reeling from the rogering off Celtic) should have kept his gob shut and should certainly not have been calling out Murphy as a "diver"?

As I mentioned on your thread, Fraser got booked for the one for v Hibs, didnt complain and neither did any other St M player or your manager post match.

The one against Aberdeen? While the ball was away, Ferguson stood on his foot. That the ref gave a pen for us was hardly due to Murphy "diving" in either instance.

Another Saturday morning full of optimism and hope. I wonder what the dons will do today to try and kill my soul. 
Yous will be fine. No wins for weeks just wait untill St mirren role up we are the gift that keeps on giving when someone needs a lift. 3-0 Dons

14 minutes ago, elvis said:
1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:
Another Saturday morning full of optimism and hope. I wonder what the dons will do today to try and kill my soul. 

Yous will be fine. No wins for weeks just wait untill St mirren role up we are the gift that keeps on giving when someone needs a lift. 3-0 Dons

When was the last time we gave a lift to a team in terrible form? Genuine question.

20 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Im not being funny, but doesnt that kinda prove that your first paragraph is horseshite?

Maybe Goodwin (clearly reeling from the rogering off Celtic) should have kept his gob shut and should certainly not have been calling out Murphy as a "diver"?

As I mentioned on your thread, Fraser got booked for the one for v Hibs, didnt complain and neither did any other St M player or your manager post match.

The one against Aberdeen? While the ball was away, Ferguson stood on his foot. That the ref gave a pen for us was hardly due to Murphy "diving" in either instance.

Two points there, one is regarding my post with the other somehow trying to defend Murphy for diving. Let's deal with them separately.

In regard to my post, you might have missed the narrative I was aiming for. The idea was that up until a couple of recent incidents, Goodwin has not had to defend his players. It's the very fact that I can point to so few occasions that highlights how rare they are and is the reason I said he had assembled a squad that doesn't seem to. Obika is a player who is well known for being solid, so when he went down in the box it was very much out of character. Granted there was more contact there than there was with Taylor, but that's a different argument. Goodwin was right to call out Murphy and Taylor because both absolutely cheated the referee.

As for Murphy, if he didn't dive he certainly went down very very easily. It wasn't as blatant as Taylor, mind, but unless Murphy's centre of gravity happens to be in his shoulder then contact there shouldn't make his legs collapse beneath him. The less charitable amongst us may even suggest he'd run out of space and decided to go down because he had no other options left for him. Feel free to review it here. Goodwin was entirely right to call him out.

Perhaps the laws of the game have changed, maybe we should all accept that the merest contact justifies people tumbling to the surface. If that's the case I look forward to a litany of stupid penalty awards.

12 minutes ago, Ric said:

Two points there, one is regarding my post with the other somehow trying to defend Murphy for diving. Let's deal with them separately.

In regard to my post, you might have missed the narrative I was aiming for. The idea was that up until a couple of recent incidents, Goodwin has not had to defend his players. It's the very fact that I can point to so few occasions that highlights how rare they are and is the reason I said he had assembled a squad that doesn't seem to. Obika is a player who is well known for being solid, so when he went down in the box it was very much out of character. Granted there was more contact there than there was with Taylor, but that's a different argument. Goodwin was right to call out Murphy and Taylor because both absolutely cheated the referee.

As for Murphy, if he didn't dive he certainly went down very very easily. It wasn't as blatant as Taylor, mind, but unless Murphy's centre of gravity happens to be in his shoulder then contact there shouldn't make his legs collapse beneath him. The less charitable amongst us may even suggest he'd run out of space and decided to go down because he had no other options left for him. Feel free to review it here. Goodwin was entirely right to call him out.

Perhaps the laws of the game have changed, maybe we should all accept that the merest contact justifies people tumbling to the surface. If that's the case I look forward to a litany of stupid penalty awards.

We are clearly not going to agree on this. All I will say is that no commentator in either of the matches involving Hibs penalties was even close to suggesting that Murphy dived.

You are slavering the same mince on the St Mirren thread, so I will leave you to it.

Lets hope there are no suspected dives in todays match from your "solid, honest players".