Null & Void or an 18 Game Season?

4 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

We have had this conversation already.
The REAL issue is that it’s with the clubs to decide at all.
As long as this remains the case Scottish Football will struggle to progress because what’s best for the game will be stifled due to individual self interest...

Why do you think this is why "Scottish Football will struggle to progress" The EPL is run by the clubs, and they seem to do all right. Ditto Spain, Italy, Germany, etc., AFAIK.

There's a parallel sitution with Covid, Brexit, etc. Maybe we should abolish democracy and go back to having an absolute monarch.

Why do you think this is why "Scottish Football will struggle to progress" The EPL is run by the clubs, and they seem to do all right. Ditto Spain, Italy, Germany, etc., AFAIK.
There's a parallel sitution with Covid, Brexit, etc. Maybe we should abolish democracy and go back to having an absolute monarch.

I actually think in this case, “democracy” has been proven time and time again to be the wrong answer.....

4 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

I think if the government had balls, they would have voided the Championship, L1 and L2 from Boxing Day and the cash handed out would have been explicitly to help clubs hibernate. 

And yes, I think Sturgeon's got the balls to do it. 

Govt would take the bigger picture into account and the public health message in late December was to shut up shop.   

I'm not sure that getting Scotland banned from the Euros due to government interference with the national FA and leagues would really be a big electoral winner for the SNP.

Edited by craigkillie

47 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'm not sure that getting Scotland banned from the Euros due to government interference with the national FA and leagues would really be a big electoral winner for the SNP.

Pffft, save us three drubbings. A blessing in disguise. 

22 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

No doubt infighting would continue, but at least the decisions taken would not be solely for the interest of bigger clubs if it was run fairly.
It would be the responsibility of whoever that body was to listen to the differing views of individual clubs to come to the fairest conclusion, so clubs would have input, but would not have any say in the decisions reached.....

What happens with this independent panel decide that colt teams in the lower leagues are the best thing for the game and every single club from Championship downwards disagrees? 

What happens with this independent panel decide that colt teams in the lower leagues are the best thing for the game and every single club from Championship downwards disagrees? 

I don’t think anyone should be expecting every decision to be something we are all happy about.
However it’s only speculation on your part that that is the conclusion that would be reached.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

His theory to resolve the incompetent, unaccountable boards is to bring in a body that is further removed and less accountable.

In my original  post I stated that they would need plans for multiple scenarios. You disagreed but now you are stating precisely the same. I'm struggling with this 'debate'.

A Plan “B” at least in my mind is where the original plan doesn’t pan out and you need to make a revised plan. I took your post to mean that we couldn’t have foreseen possible outcomes.Having another season where we don’t know how the season is going to end is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

I don’t think anyone should be expecting every decision to be something we are all happy about.
However it’s only speculation on your part that that is the conclusion that would be reached.

I'm trying to give you a hypothetical situation that displays just how ridiculous it would be for the member clubs not to make the decisions. 

There is every possibility that an independent panel sides with the top clubs on colt teams. If you're happy to have decisions like that thrust upon your club whilst you have no say in the matter then I'm not sure we're looking for the same end result here.

I'm trying to give you a hypothetical situation that displays just how ridiculous it would be for the member clubs not to make the decisions. 
There is every possibility that an independent panel sides with the top clubs on colt teams. If you're happy to have decisions like that thrust upon your club whilst you have no say in the matter then I'm not sure we're looking for the same end result here.

The current situation doesn’t work and self interest certainly doesn’t allow decisions to be taken for the good of Scottish football as a while.
Sergeant clot seems to think we can come up with a solution that will keep everyone happy.
Obviously whatever solution will have its elements that will not satisfy small clubs at times.
Whatever anyone comes up with, self interest NEEDS to be removed from the equation as its doing the game and the clubs a disservice....

21 hours ago, Rbon said:

I'd be happy with an 18 game season though it's got the point where if it was nil & void i would struggle to muster up the energy to care. 

Kind of where I am at. Obviously the streams are somewhat of a distraction from the apocalypse but right now this current streaming set up feels like a long term relationship without sex. Struggling to take much joy from it.

2 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

The current situation doesn’t work and self interest certainly doesn’t allow decisions to be taken for the good of Scottish football as a while.
Sergeant clot seems to think we can come up with a solution that will keep everyone happy.
Obviously whatever solution will have its elements that will not satisfy small clubs at times.
Whatever anyone comes up with, self interest NEEDS to be removed from the equation as its doing the game and the clubs a disservice....

Put an @ and use my user name if making personal remarks if you don't mind.

I haven't said anything of the sort. Can you point out where I did? I've recognised the limitations of how the structure works now and mentioned how we arrived at it. 

6 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

An independent panel doesn't need to answer to fans, if your clubs vote disappears so does your voice.

On 13/02/2021 at 20:36, rockson said:

Not necessarily. The situation was different, more games played, no-one knowing if the season could finish or when a restart would be. There is now more likelihood of things being more "normal"  come July (when the 2021-2022 season would start in non-Covid circumstances)  so better chance of getting things going again then. In the meantime we have no idea when restrictions will be lifted and the 2020-2021 season resume. 18 game is still the best option if it can happen but if not why not consider roll-over?

I completely agree. My point was that, saddo as I undoubtedly am, I'm still holding onto a kernel of bitterness at how last season ended and I know hindsight is a low bar, last season could have waited to be completed too, but that's old ground 

My point is that we/they should try all they can to complete this s4ason to restore some integrity? If not 18 games, truncated as you suggest. There is always a solution, just sometimes there's always one who for their own reasons don't want a solution.