Null & Void or an 18 Game Season?

16 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

It's about levels of risk, not, as some are doing, shrieking that all risks should be treated the same. 

If folk still aren't getting that then they're either deliberately ignoring it to suit their arguments or are a bit of a moron.

I can't speak for others but I fully understand there's levels of risk. Where I disagree is that part time players playing football whilst being tested significantly increases that risk. I'm not sure how that makes me a moron.

18 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I can't speak for others but I fully understand there's levels of risk. Where I disagree is that part time players playing football whilst being tested significantly increases that risk. I'm not sure how that makes me a moron.

Did you miss the word SOME? Some doesn't mean everyone. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Testing will cost about £2,500 per round. 3 times a week that's £7,500. If League 1 and 2 clubs can afford that - as well as wages and seeing themselves through the off season then best of luck to them in their quest.

Why on earth would they be testing three times a week? Neither Dundee or anyone else are doing that.

Which doesn't change that fact that it's still, when combined with payroll to go play games behind closed doors, a bad economic decision for lower division clubs IMO. However, as I've said before, if they are daft enough to want to do so then they should be permitted to.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

The Championship are not testing 3 times a week, they're testing once on a Thursday.

They're not testing on a Thursday, that's for sure. Results have to be reported by noon on Thursday ahead of Saturday games. Almost everyone tests on either Monday or Tuesday as it covers the 7 days following.

53 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Why on earth would they be testing three times a week? Neither Dundee or anyone else are doing that.

I assumed (wrongly) that due to the increased risk of having other jobs away from football that they'd be wanting to be extra cautious. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

It's condescending to name three workforces, one of which I am part of? 

Wild take, that. Even for yourself. 

Apologies , no offence intended  to you or your workforce . It's just that the many  teachers, doctors , accountants , lawyers , business owners , university students etc  involved in football always get overlooked  because it somehow makes for a better media story if some tradesmen manage to get the better of their more illustrious opponents. 

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

The conversation between football and Scottish government should be about the management of risk.  It seems to me that SFA/SPFL's risk management policy is only in place to safeguard their revenue streams, not to safeguard Scottish football against Covid..

Given their pronouncements, SG doesn't appear to be attempting to manage risk from Covid either, rather they are hoping to abolish any risk by a continuous resetting of restrictions, with no long term strategy. The daily sound bites regularly tell us how well the country is doing fighting Covid but despite that there is no end in sight.

Among many other industries, almost all football in Scotland is at a standstill and unable to a find way ahead with neither football nor government apparently  capable of joined-up tthinking. 

Edited by AlbionMan

It's about levels of risk, not, as some are doing, shrieking that all risks should be treated the same. 
If folk still aren't getting that then they're either deliberately ignoring it to suit their arguments or are a bit of a moron.

You’re right, everything is about reducing the risk, which is why the decision on which leagues to play and which to stop should be evidence based not just on generalisations.

17 hours ago, AlbionMan said:

The conversation between football and Scottish government should be about the management of risk.  It seems to me that SFA/SPFL's risk management policy is only in place to safeguard their revenue streams, not to safeguard Scottish football against Covid..

Given their pronouncements, SG doesn't appear to be attempting to manage risk from Covid either, rather they are hoping to abolish any risk by a continuous resetting of restrictions, with no long term strategy. The daily sound bites regularly tell us how well the country is doing fighting Covid but despite that there is no end in sight.

Among many other industries, almost all football in Scotland is at a standstill and unable to a find way ahead with neither football nor government apparently  capable of joined-up tthinking. 

Try as I might to accept all the technical  info about the virus and all its mutations , I tend to agree with your view about the continual resetting of restrictions. The increasing  issues regarding people's mental health continue to be brought up and are continually brushed aside . To me this is as important as the virus itself . People need hope and a reason to carry on . 

I heard this morning that Westminster are going to be easing restrictions in care homes where one person can visit  and be able to hold hands but not hug their relative. What's that all about?   It has a feel of prison visits about it .  Holding hands carries as much risk as passing the virus as hugging in my mind anyway. 

In Scotland , the SG said that they are going to try to phase kids going back to school but that will mean further restrictions for the general public. 

I can't help feeling that the various governments are becoming accustomed to this feeling of power . The decisions seem to carry a sense of guilt and responsibility on the public despite the mistakes made by the governments in the past.   I just hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel and that this is not an indication of a future of restriction and control. 

As for the football side of things I am also struggling to comprehend the risk management between the authorities without the evidence of figures to back up their decisions to halt lower league football. 

Edited by theoriginalhedge

I'm really not sure which part of 'a national stay at home instruction applies as much to East of Scotland and League One football as any other non-essential activity' you lot are not grasping. You may not like that fact, but constantly whining about it not being a high risk activity is irrelevant to the actual decision-making process.

Someone meeting a single friend in a park is a less significant risk than a bunch of players and officials playing a semi-professional football game: but this absolutely basic, everyday interaction is also off the agenda. Until the stay at home order is lifted then there is no credible basis for lower and non-league football to restart. It's really that straightforward.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

I'm really not sure which part of 'a national stay at home instruction applies as much to East of Scotland and League One football as any other non-essential activity' you lot are not grasping. You may not like that fact, but constantly whining about it not being a high risk activity is irrelevant to the actual decision-making process.

Someone meeting a single friend in a park is a less significant risk than a bunch of players and officials playing a semi-professional football game: but this absolutely basic, everyday interaction is also off the agenda. Until the stay at home order is lifted then there is no credible basis for lower and non-league football to restart. It's really that straightforward.

Here was me thinking this was a forum for open discussion . 

Seems not. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

I think you are missing some of the points that are being made. We are all living under restrictions imposed by dictat rather than our parliaments and have to live within these restrictions.

I read that the BMA has now called for the near elimination of Covid before any significant easing of restrictions. The world lives with tolerated exposure to other infectious killer diseases. We will have to do the same with Covid.

Our governments and others around the world are like rabbits caught in headlights, unable to move, waiting fearfully for the Covid truck to ether miss them or run them over.

This might have already been raised, I was under the impression that the Premier league and the championship were the only leagues allowed to train and play under strict testing and mitigation protocols.....   All other football lower leagues, down the pyramid, women's football etc were not allowed to train or play until given the unlikely go ahead to start back....

Why were the Scotland women's team allowed to play a friendly in Cyprus when there level is shut down and have been apparently unable to meet up and train and was this game essential ,  have I missed something ....

5 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Why were the Scotland women's team allowed to play a friendly in Cyprus when there level is shut down and have been apparently unable to meet up and train and was this game essential ,  have I missed something ....

The Cyprus vs Scotland game was a EURO 2022 Qualifying game carried over from last year albeit both teams were already unable to qualify.

5 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Here was me thinking this was a forum for open discussion . 

Seems not. 

It has already been pointed out time and time again why you are wrong, so the 'open discussion' part is over.

You just continue yelling at a cloud about the injustice of it all then and I'll keep mocking you. 

4 hours ago, AlbionMan said:

I think you are missing some of the points that are being made. We are all living under restrictions imposed by dictat rather than our parliaments and have to live within these restrictions.

I read that the BMA has now called for the near elimination of Covid before any significant easing of restrictions. The world lives with tolerated exposure to other infectious killer diseases. We will have to do the same with Covid.

Our governments and others around the world are like rabbits caught in headlights, unable to move, waiting fearfully for the Covid truck to ether miss them or run them over.

None of these points are even remotely relevant to the decision to stop playing Scottish lower league football. If you want to discuss how the entire system of restrictions should be binned then there's a thread for that on General Nonsense. The current restrictions on football are in no way disproportionate to what is going on in any other sector of the economy or part of everyday life.

I understand why lower league fans might be unhappy about that, but drawing comparisons between risks of outdoor activities or trying to get testing on the go doesn't address the reason why it has been suspended. It's all pointless bellyaching.

Given that we're hurtling towards March with no resumption of training never mind matches, it's quite clear that this suspension will now mean either a substantial change to the campaign or it being declared null and void. That's the problem that lower league clubs should be concerned with now, as I'd be surprised if there's any consensus on a plan going forward once the 27-game plan is accepted as dead. 

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

None of these points are even remotely relevant to the decision to stop playing Scottish lower league football. If you want to discuss how the entire system of restrictions should be binned then there's a thread for that on General Nonsense. The current restrictions on football are in no way disproportionate to what is going on in any other sector of the economy or part of everyday life.

I understand why lower league fans might be unhappy about that, but drawing comparisons between risks of outdoor activities or trying to get testing on the go doesn't address the reason why it has been suspended. It's all pointless bellyaching.

Given that we're hurtling towards March with no resumption of training never mind matches, it's quite clear that this suspension will now mean either a substantial change to the campaign or it being declared null and void. That's the problem that lower league clubs should be concerned with now, as I'd be surprised if there's any consensus on a plan going forward once the 27-game plan is accepted as dead. 

I mean, you do know the thread title is literally “null and void or an 18 game season”?

It has already been pointed out time and time again why you are wrong, so the 'open discussion' part is over.
You just continue yelling at a cloud about the injustice of it all then and I'll keep mocking you. 

Surprising, isn’t it, that a poster supporting a team in the Championship, not adversely affected by the suspension, but otherwise could find itself in relegation trouble this campaign, would mock posters of lower division clubs and write-off their opinion, as it suits his own and his clubs needs?....