Null & Void or an 18 Game Season?

Football is back in England by the end of March.

The first figures announced for the effect of the vaccines on covid are the Scottish ones and, as the SG often gives the impression of wanting to be different in order to justify itself (my view - others will differ!), the timescale for the return of organised outdoor activities will be different - whether earlier or later or whatever - who knows yet!

Hopefully common sense will prevail and football comes back even if subject to the previous protocols for a while.

The first figures announced for the effect of the vaccines on covid are the Scottish ones and, as the SG often gives the impression of wanting to be different in order to justify itself (my view - others will differ!), the timescale for the return of organised outdoor activities will be different - whether earlier or later or whatever - who knows yet!

Hopefully common sense will prevail and football comes back even if subject to the previous protocols for a while.

Starting playing at the beginning of April in Leagues 1 and 2 would allow enough time to complete an 18 game campaign by mid May, with playoffs in the latter part of the month.
However is it playing or training that has been announced?

1 hour ago, Dev said:

Can you give a link to that. It looks like you got it elsewhere? I'd like to know the source.

Eta. I see the quote from a Government source on BBC, @Devis being more specific, where is that from?

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

That's general outdoor sports. It will apply to games of fives and the like.

I'm not sure it has any relevance to Scottish League 1 and 2 teams, who could conceivably be allowed to start earlier given their previous exemption. I suppose it's a latest possible date if echoed in Scotland.

Fom the BBC -

No earlier than 17 May

• There will be a special provision for large, outdoor, seated venues where crowds can be safely distributed, allowing up to 10,000 people or 25% of total seated capacity, whichever is lower.

Would be ironic if our league was shut down with crowds allowed in stadiums. 

2 hours ago, David W said:

That's general outdoor sports. It will apply to games of fives and the like.

I'm not sure it has any relevance to Scottish League 1 and 2 teams, who could conceivably be allowed to start earlier given their previous exemption. I suppose it's a latest possible date if echoed in Scotland.

Correct. It's got doubly no relevance here. Firstly the Westminster Govt is not in charge of decisions on when Scotland can play and secondly this is about leisure exercise, kids clubs, etc. It's not particularly relevant to organised professional sport which should in theory be able to start a bit earlier.

EDITED to add - it's certainly an encouraging sign though.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Outdoor sports can return from 15th March. I sincerely hope that clubs/SFA/Government can come together here and find an agreement to let League 1 and 2 clubs start training from next week with a view to start playing games on March 15th, as opposed to starting training from that date. That would give us enough time to get an 18 game season and the play-offs done. If we can't start training until the 15th of March I'm not sure you have enough time to get things done. 

Outdoor sports can return from 15th March. I sincerely hope that clubs/SFA/Government can come together here and find an agreement to let League 1 and 2 clubs start training from next week with a view to start playing games on March 15th, as opposed to starting training from that date. That would give us enough time to get an 18 game season and the play-offs done. If we can't start training until the 15th of March I'm not sure you have enough time to get things done. 

It’s only non contact sport for ages 12-17. No contact adult sport until after end of April. That’s the season done now

13 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Only outdoor contact sports for 12-17 years old so that’s it season over now

18 minutes ago, football.fan said:

It’s only non contact sport for ages 12-17. No contact adult sport until after end of April. That’s the season done now

14 minutes ago, pollokfan1987 said:

Only outdoor contact sports for 12-17 years old so that’s it season over now

I'm struggling with the notion it'll be fine for thousands of kids to start playing boys club football but it wouldn't be possible for our senior league to continue in the controlled environment it already was?

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

I'm struggling with the notion it'll be fine for thousands of kids to start playing boys club football but it wouldn't be possible for our senior league to continue in the controlled environment it already was?

It specifically says "non-contact" so they won't be playing football. 

Posted at 14:4814:48

Numbers who can meet outdoors set to be increased next month

The first minister emphasises how she hopes more pupils will return to school in Scotland from 15 March.

This will involve getting the remainder of primary school pupils and more senior phase secondary pupils back into the classroom for at least part of their learning.

Ms Sturgeon adds that she also hopes to restart outdoors non contact group sports for 12-17 year olds in this phase.

And it is hoped the limit on outdoor mixing between households will be increased from four people from a maximum of two households.

On 22/02/2021 at 12:56, Ranaldo Bairn said:

If N+V, do the results, appearances and goalscoring stats get expunged from the records?

This is of tremendous importance to me sad jammie wearing stattos.

I actually spoke to our club historian about this last week, and aye they would be expunged. This season never happened. Calumn Morrison hasn't scored a single goal for Falkirk and Kevin Dabrowski never played for us.

10 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

It specifically says "non-contact" so they won't be playing football. 

Posted at 14:4814:48

Numbers who can meet outdoors set to be increased next month

The first minister emphasises how she hopes more pupils will return to school in Scotland from 15 March.

This will involve getting the remainder of primary school pupils and more senior phase secondary pupils back into the classroom for at least part of their learning.

Ms Sturgeon adds that she also hopes to restart outdoors non contact group sports for 12-17 year olds in this phase.

And it is hoped the limit on outdoor mixing between households will be increased from four people from a maximum of two households.

They can train, but won't be playing games.

As Moonster says though, I'd like to think that an exception will be made for tested part-time players in League One and League Two. In England you could have amateur games taking place at the end of March. It would be crazy if tested professional players weren't able to play up here.

Guest The Phoenix
30 minutes ago, David W said:

There's still people that don't realise the lower leagues were operating under an exception:blink:

This. 

Nothing that the FM said todayhas any bearing on the SG determining on whether SPFL1 & 2 can resume playiing. 

15 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I actually spoke to our club historian about this last week, and aye they would be expunged. This season never happened. Calumn Morrison hasn't scored a single goal for Falkirk and Kevin Dabrowski never played for us.

They can train, but won't be playing games.

As Moonster says though, I'd like to think that an exception will be made for tested part-time players in League One and League Two. In England you could have amateur games taking place at the end of March. It would be crazy if tested professional players weren't able to play up here.

Thanks

6 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

In England you could have amateur games taking place at the end of March. It would be crazy if tested professional players weren't able to play up here.

I agree with you but I think it's irrelevant. Craziness happens. 

For example, it would be crazy if an English club could train at the Oriam but the Scottish club who were based there weren't allowed to. 

Hull City train at Oriam in Edinburgh as Hearts told not to - BBC Sport

The SFA will decide whether League One games can resume or not. But the government evidently have an input, though I don't know if they have a veto. 

Suspension of Football Update | 9 February | Scottish FA

The problem is that I don't see the SFA allowing us back at a time when our goverment are taking a "not just yet" stance with the rest of society. .I don't think they have the balls for it. 

If there's no prospect of training until the end of April then they may as well cancel the season now. It would still be a huge challenge if training was allowed from the start of April when some restrictions are due to be eased. If football couldn't start back before the expected non-essential retail easement at the end of April then finishing even a 18 game season would be nigh on impossible. Even starting games around 20/04 with a midweek card would still mean getting 9/10 fixtures played in a little over 4 weeks, assuming some time build in at the end of May for play-offs if they were still going to happen.

5 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I agree with you but I think it's irrelevant. Craziness happens. 

For example, it would be crazy if an English club could train at the Oriam but the Scottish club who were based there weren't allowed to. 

Hull City train at Oriam in Edinburgh as Hearts told not to - BBC Sport

The SFA will decide whether League One games can resume or not. But the government evidently have an input, though I don't know if they have a veto. 

Suspension of Football Update | 9 February | Scottish FA

The problem is that I don't see the SFA allowing us back at a time when our goverment are taking a "not just yet" stance with the rest of society. .I don't think they have the balls for it. 

I mean I'm not getting my hopes up at all. I thought if we were going to return then it should've been after the last review.

Our season being over whilst the Dog and Duck can play the Royal Oak down south would be a pretty poor look. It'll no doubt happen though.

What I would say is that there's a real change of mood from clubs and players towards this latest suspension. The first time around I think everyone accepted the situation for what it was. In January there was a wee bit of dissent, but rates were sky-high, so I don't think anyone could seriously disagree. The SFA and SPFL will be under a bit of pressure from their members; especially given they all committed to weekly testing.