Next Ayr United manager

3 minutes ago, Iain said:

41% win percentage at those two clubs combined. Defeated in more than 1 in 3 matches as well. "Fine" is probably the cap on how you could describe that record.

A 41% win rate gets you in to the playoffs more often than not. That is the level Ayr are aiming to operate at. "Fine" is a perfectly adequate description.

Should we be concerned that macIntyre was one of the leading candidates last time round but the board opted for a novice MarK Kerr over him?
TBH LC had form for promoting from within, either that was because he thought was Kerr the cheaper option and thought he was getting a player and manager in and and hence saving a wage or he really thought Kerr was the man for the job we will never know.

9 minutes ago, Iain said:

41% win percentage at those two clubs combined. Defeated in more than 1 in 3 matches as well. "Fine" is probably the cap on how you could describe that record.

He done very well at Dunfermline, took over us when we were eighth, improved us year on year, overhauled the squad and got us promoted. 

Dundee fans hate him but then they reckon Jocky Scott and Barry Smith are good managers so they are best ignored. 

When you look at the names he’s probably one of the better options. He was a disaster at Dundee aye but we’re unlikely to get anyone who doesn’t have a blot on their CV somewhere.

It doesn’t particularly excite me but we could do worse.

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

That cannot possibly be true. 🤣

Just me tbf.

After he'd broken our unbeaten record and went on a 23 game unbeaten run saving the club in the process.

Jocky Scott's shaven tache has had a better managerial career than Jim McIntyre.

Jocky's Scott shot of the lot – The Scottish Sun

You should be appointing a real manager like that tbh.

When you look at the names he’s probably one of the better options. He was a disaster at Dundee aye but we’re unlikely to get anyone who doesn’t have a blot on their CV somewhere.
It doesn’t particularly excite me but we could do worse.
He's the safe choice.

I just feel that if you're going to appoint a guy whose record is tainted by a significant association with Kilmarnock then it needs to be because he is the outstanding candidate. Maybe that is the case and I'd certainly give him the chance to show he's the right guy. It wouldn't be an exciting or invigorating hire though, IMO.

12 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Dundee fans hate him but then they reckon Jocky Scott and Barry Smith are good managers so they are best ignored. 

9 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

That cannot possibly be true. 🤣

Barry Smith did this when we were up shit creek in admin 2, having been reduced to a barebones squad with only junior players coming in as trialists as he couldn't sign new players. Think there's good reason for his better reputation at Dens.

image.png.be059dbda0b04c67f65d0f439ab7944a.png

Good luck seeing McIntyre do anything close to that tbf.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

I honestly don't get the attitude that because a manager once played/managed your rival team you then in turn must dislike them, absolute wee guy behaviour. 

If Scott Arfield and Tam Scoobie teamed up as a managerial duo at Dunfermline I couldn't give a f**k providing they done alright. 

McIntyre is a decent manager, has always done pretty well wherever he's been apart from Dundee when he was inheriting Neil McCann's mess and couldn't get his usual trusted assistant in to work with him. Feel like he'll do a good job for Ayr.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

McIntyre is a decent manager, has always done pretty well wherever he's been apart from Dundee when he was inheriting Neil McCann's mess and couldn't get his usual trusted assistant in to work with him. Feel like he'll do a good job for Ayr.

You mean the 'usual trusted assistant' that has been his assistant in 1 of his 4 managerial roles and was given a budget to sign 15 players in the January window, aye?

ETA: 13, not 15 upon double checking.

Edited by Ludo*1

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

His "usual trusted assistant" who was only with him at Ross County? He had a whole transfer window and certainly used it, and he made the team somehow worse. Some take.

Anyone who thinks that Barry Smith is a good manager needs sectioned. The man thought playing Lewis Vaughan as a holding midfielder was a great tactical move.

His career highlight is phoning Jim Goodwin to thank him for beating us to hand them the league. Only to then fumble the league to us the following week after failing to beat... you guessed it, Jim Goodwin.

10 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I honestly don't get the attitude that because a manager once played/managed your rival team you then in turn must dislike them, absolute wee guy behaviour. 

If Scott Arfield and Tam Scoobie teamed up as a managerial duo at Dunfermline I couldn't give a f**k providing they done alright. 

Who's disliking anyone. It's just an obstacle that he has to overcome. Plenty have managed it before now.

Rivalries and petty grudges are a key part of the sport's popularity. If they only thing we're allowed to care about is the results of the games we'd be as well just looking up scores in the papers on a Sunday. 

Edited by Iain

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Anyone who thinks that Barry Smith is a good manager needs sectioned.

Nobody said that tbf, he was just the right man in at our time of greatest need. McIntyre was the exact polar opposite of that, a human plane crash. Might be the complete opposite for Ayr, but I hope not. I wish that man no success anywhere.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

His career highlight is phoning Jim Goodwin to thank him for beating us to hand them the league. Only to then fumble the league to us the following week after failing to beat... you guessed it, Jim Goodwin.

Surely that didn’t actually happen?

I mean I hope it did, but surely not.

10 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Anyone who thinks that Barry Smith is a good manager needs sectioned. The man thought playing Lewis Vaughan as a holding midfielder was a great tactical move.

Barry Smith was a cracking manager for us for that first season alone, he's since proven to be an absolute disaster of a manager wherever he's went since. Stop muddying the waters to get away from discussing Mr 12% win record.

Edited by Ludo*1