How Do We Solve a Problem Like Obesity?

On 16/03/2021 at 11:18, BFTD said:

Yeah, apparently there are folk who drive across the border regularly to stock up on the Mexican stuff, as they say it tastes much better.

I've also seen claims that corn syrup is worse for weight gain, but that sounds a bit like wishful thinking to me. They should just try a proper drink like Irn-Bru IMO.

I mind my cousin brought back some Mexican Coke (not that kind honest) and I think the difference was it felt like it quenched my thirst and I didn't feel heavy bagged up after drinking it.

Feel like the argument about different types of pizza is like saying "if you drive at 40mph towards the cliff instead of 80 you'll be fine." Still heading for a bad time.

Edited by NotThePars

3 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

This has nothing to do with you, as much as you'd like it to be. You're just wrong. 

For example, my current BMR is 1742 calories per day. If my intake is 3500 calories which includes a daily big f**k off pizza, and I reduce that by even 1000 calories a day, I will still put on weight, just more gradually because my net intake is still going to be 800 calories a day or so above my BMR. It's not that difficult a concept. 

Yes but your 1752 calories extra a day would not lead to a weight gain of only 42 pounds a year.

Just now, NotThePars said:

Feel like the argument about different types of pizza is like saying "if you drive at 40mph towards the cliff instead of 80 you'll be fine." Still heading for a bad time.

We're not arguing about any health issues that come from a poor diet, so your feelings are irrelevant. 

48 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

8 inch pizzas are less than half the size of 12 inch pizzas, though, so if going from a 12 to an 8 inch pizza is the only change, this guy would be absolutely starving.

Just slightly smaller, pi on a pizza. 

4/9ths, not obvious if you use a calculator. 

Edited by ayrmad

22 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

If you drive at 40mph instead of 80mph you will go backwards.

38 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I tried to warn them.

It would have been better if you'd just told them they were wrong, that would have been the decent thing to do. 

10 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

If you drive at 40mph instead of 80mph you will go backwards.

There is only two directions you can go: forwards or backwards. All that's required to do the latter is to go slightly slower than you were going. I'm a scientist.

7 minutes ago, Aufc said:

And people wonder why there is an obesity problem in this country when people think swapping pizza size will make someone lose 3 stone in a year emoji23.pngemoji23.png

Not quite what was said but they'll certainly lose plenty if they had a 600 calorie deficit. 

Next folk on here will be saying you can't put on weight if you only eat healthy foods. 

Someone with a BMR of 2100 eats 2500 calories a day, after a year in which they've put on 3 stone they decide to cut out the daily 1800 calorie12" pepperoni pizza and replace it with an 800 calorie 8" pepperoni pizza, will that person lose weight on their new calorie deficient diet? 

34 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Someone with a BMR of 2100 eats 2500 calories a day, after a year in which they've put on 3 stone they decide to cut out the daily 1800 calorie12" pepperoni pizza and replace it with an 800 calorie 8" pepperoni pizza, will that person lose weight on their new calorie deficient diet? 

Finally you’re getting it. That being said, a daily 400 calorie excess would not put on 3 stone over a year.

Anyway, if you take the example (the one that everyone else has been taking since you made the original nonsense post) and say someone with a BMR of 2000 and eats 3000 calories a day puts on weight, then changes their daily pizza size so starts to only eat 2500 calories a day instead, will they lose weight like you’ve said they would multiple times?

27 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Why is a pizza that's 2/3s the size only 4/9s the calories? 

The answer I believe is that with that 1 change, those questionable differences aside, then yes. The issue is that someone who considers eating a slightly smaller pizza every day to be an efficient weight loss tool is unlikely to keep all the other variables the same and will make up the caloric deficit through other, likely equally unhealthy, ways.