How Do We Solve a Problem Like Obesity?

43 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Pastry? Where do you get your pizza?

I would define anything based with a flour, yeast and water mixture as pastry so yes. I've been to Naples as well, and these are the key ingredients 

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Is bread pastry then?

Acht, pizza base is bread of sorts. We're getting into semantics. The point I'm making is that pizza isn't necessarily a bad food. There are far, far worse products that are responsible for obesity

23 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Is there a direct calculable correlation between the figures? I don't think you can say that excess of 400 calories means you will definitely gain a specific amount of weight. It'll vary from person to person.

Of course it will but it accepted as a guideline that 3500 calories equates to a pound, my figures won't be spot on as they're just calculated in my head but they'll be near enough to prove the point. 

3 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Acht, pizza base is bread of sorts. We're getting into semantics. The point I'm making is that pizza isn't necessarily a bad food. There are far, far worse products that are responsible for obesity

I've seen variations on pizza recipes using pastry and always meant to try one, but I would say traditional pizza base is bread. I sometimes use nan bread as a base.

19 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Interested to see your workings for this calculation?

Do you not earn your cask out of figures? 

I could let you into my head but it can be pretty messy in there. 

1 minute ago, ayrmad said:

Of course it will but it accepted as a guideline that 3500 calories equates to a pound, my figures won't be spot on as they're just calculated in my head but they'll be near enough to prove the point. 

Aye to you. 

https://www.today.com/health/how-many-calories-pound-3-things-about-calories-you-may-t33986

It has been believed that there are 3,500 calories in a pound, so therefore it would seem that if you reduce your diet by 500 calories a day, or exercise and burn off 500 calories a day (or any combo of the two), that you would lose a pound a week.

This is not, however, an exact science. When it comes to weight loss, there are many different variables to take into consideration including one’s metabolism.

4 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Do you not earn your cask out of figures? 

I could let you into my head but it can be pretty messy in there. 

If you’re asking if my job heavily involves numbers then no, a little bit but not much tbh, just basic finance.

Even if it was, it wouldn’t give me any help in terms of why 3 stone gained in a year somehow equals 400 calorie excess per day.

2 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Pizzas seem to be getting a disproportionate amount of shit here, given that they're a bit of pastry oven-cooked, brushed with olive oil and topped with tomatoes and vegetables. 

It's the deep-fried unsaturated fat stuff, together with sugar-filled and other artificial additives that are causing the obesity

Aye and chocolate is just a few plants thrown together with a bit of milk. Whats the fuss all about?

Even your boring fresh Neapolitan pizza is objectively a terrible choice if you are looking at a healthy meal. Its still cheese, salt, sugar, bread and oil.

3 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Aye and chocolate is just a few plants thrown together with a bit of milk. Whats the fuss all about?

Even your boring fresh Neapolitan pizza is objectively a terrible choice if you are looking at a healthy meal. Its still cheese, salt, sugar, bread and oil.

And tomatoes 

5 hours ago, ayrmad said:

Someone who has gained 3 stone in the previous year having eaten a 12" pepperoni pizza everyday would lose weight if they changed it for an 8" one. 

Well this is just utter bollocks

50 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Is there a direct calculable correlation between the figures? I don't think you can say that excess of 400 calories means you will definitely gain a specific amount of weight. It'll vary from person to person.

I gave a specific example, I didn't pluck the figures from my arse, in the example the person would lose weight easily. 

2 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I gave a specific example, I didn't pluck the figures from my arse, in the example the person would lose weight easily. 

I think you're putting too much emphasis on the figures and not taking account of the variables.