How Do We Solve a Problem Like Obesity?

54 minutes ago, throbber said:

Humiliating people who have low self esteem and addiction issues will not encourage them to get into shape.

Nobody has an 'addiction' to the dessert end of a buffet table. And nobody has an addiction to sitting on a sofa instead of doing exercise either.

Edited by vikingTON

26 minutes ago, throbber said:

Considering 30-50% of all cancers are preventable through lifestyle choices and the likelihood of developing other major health problems like heart disease, strokes and diabetes can be hugely reduced by healthy living it’s still interesting to see it’s only fat people who get the whole “you brought his on yourself” attitude for their ill health.

Being overweight is the dominant lifestyle cause of the cancers, heart disease, strokes and diabetes that you mention. That is the absence of 'healthy living' that results in these burdens. It is also the biggest non-age cause of hospitalisation and death for Covid as well. 

So quite why you think that fat people are being unjustly singled out is utterly bizarre. 

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

Being overweight is the dominant lifestyle cause of the cancers, heart disease, strokes and diabetes that you mention. That is the absence of 'healthy living' that results in these burdens. It is also the biggest non-age cause of hospitalisation and death for Covid as well. 

So quite why you think that fat people are being unjustly singled out is utterly bizarre. 

Any chance you could take a day off from being a heartless p***k? 

Accelerating nicely into thread closure/time on the naughty step.

I'd post a popcorn GIF, but I'm on a diet, so just imagine me noshing on a courgette.

13 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Any chance you could take a day off from being a heartless p***k? 

I have no need to deal in mealy mouthed platitudes rather than hard facts. This isn't a support group. 

Accelerating nicely into thread closure/time on the naughty step.
I'd post a popcorn GIF, but I'm on a diet, so just imagine me noshing on a courgette.
HibsFan was bullish early on about how bombproof his threads, but let's not forget Clive, this is the first super sunday the current thread has faced, so it will be interesting to see how it copes..... Clive

46 minutes ago, throbber said:

Considering 30-50% of all cancers are preventable through lifestyle choices and the likelihood of developing other major health problems like heart disease, strokes and diabetes can be hugely reduced by healthy living it’s still interesting to see it’s only fat people who get the whole “you brought his on yourself” attitude for their ill health.

Obesity is one of the largest cancer risk factors, though. It is related with some of the other factors (poor diet, excessive consumption of certain types of food) but it is nevertheless a key factor. Not to mention the added risk of other illnesses (cardiovascular disease etc.). 

I posted the story earlier in this thread, but a poster pointing this out received a fair bit of backlash in some quarters for "fat shaming". Drinkers and smokers have been "shamed" for years about the health impacts of consumption for years and how this risks their health. I don't see why we need to trod on egg shells about the effects obesity carries as well. The vast majority of UK covid deaths are in people with underlying health conditions, with a significant proportion of this group also being obese. The damage obesity does to your health is all too apparent - it might be inconvenient or hard to hear, but it's a fact. 

We talk a lot about excercise, limiting alcohol consumption and having a balanced diet. This is all good and well, but we seem to shirk the obesity part of it. 

6 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It may not be much consolation but...wid. She'd probably rather have a steak pie supper tbf. It would certainly last longer.

You must be desperate. Even after ten pints there’s zero chance of me harpooning that whale. She’s got arms the size of a normal human’s thigh.

In what way are these people being "prioritised" by the NHS? Dont the NHS routinely tell folk to lose weight/get fitter before receiving surgery for example?

The NHS also spend money on smoking cessation as an example, should that also be removed? Smokers certainly arent prioritising themselves.

Maybe prioritised was the wrong word. However, it is a huge sum of money being spent on it.

Smoking is an addiction. The money should be spent on curing the addiction to stop money being spent on the effects. If people have no interest in having their addiction treated then it should follow that they dont get the effects treated. Obviously that wont happen though

Maybe prioritised was the wrong word. However, it is a huge sum of money being spent on it.

Smoking is an addiction. The money should be spent on curing the addiction to stop money being spent on the effects. If people have no interest in having their addiction treated then it should follow that they dont get the effects treated. Obviously that wont happen though
It's still a choice to start doing it in the face of all public advice and knowledge.

The point here is, where do you draw the line in terms of who inflicted what on themselves?

It's already been covered, but do we pubt sports injuries to the back of the queue because they didnt need to be doing sports?

The obesity epidemic needs to be addressed. Thats clear as day. However, if it was the simple, easy fix to a simple problem that some folk seem oddly determined to push, then it wouldnt actually be a problem on the scale that it is.

2 hours ago, Aufc said:

I do all of the above. I realise not everyone is like that and i am not trying to come across and all high and mighty. However, for the majority of people, getting 30-45 minutes of exercise a day/most day is completely manageable.

Again I am sounding harsh here but if people dont prioritise themselves and stay healthy then why should the NHS prioritise them at great expense?

I completely agree that's probably the case for most people. If you want to ignore the minority who might be struggling for all sorts of reasons, then that's up to you. 

The NHS treats sick people and isn't as judgemental as an institute as you appear to be. 

I completely agree that's probably the case for most people. If you want to ignore the minority who might be struggling for all sorts of reasons, then that's up to you. 
 The NHS treats sick people and isn't as judgemental as an institute as you appear to be. 

I am not ignoring those people. I have said all along that these people should get the help they require.

It is clear that whatever they are doing currently is not working. Coronavirus has absolutely highlighted this and made it worse. If this doesnt open peoples eyes then i am not quite sure what will. The only thing that i can think of is hitting them in their pocket

1 minute ago, Aufc said:

I am not ignoring those people. I have said all along that these people should get the help they require.

It is clear that whatever they are doing currently is not working. Coronavirus has absolutely highlighted this and made it worse. If this doesnt open peoples eyes then i am not quite sure what will. The only thing that i can think of is hitting them in their pocket

Have you researched the demographics enough to say that "hitting them in the pocket" is an effective way to deal with the problem though? Have you enough info on both causes and effects of obesity/poor diet and health to know that actually that wont make the problem significantly worse?

That strikes me as more Daily Mail style lashing out, than any sort of sensible suggestion tbh. 

35 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Obesity is one of the largest cancer risk factors, though. It is related with some of the other factors (poor diet, excessive consumption of certain types of food) but it is nevertheless a key factor. Not to mention the added risk of other illnesses (cardiovascular disease etc.). 

I posted the story earlier in this thread, but a poster pointing this out received a fair bit of backlash in some quarters for "fat shaming". Drinkers and smokers have been "shamed" for years about the health impacts of consumption for years and how this risks their health. I don't see why we need to trod on egg shells about the effects obesity carries as well. The vast majority of UK covid deaths are in people with underlying health conditions, with a significant proportion of this group also being obese. The damage obesity does to your health is all too apparent - it might be inconvenient or hard to hear, but it's a fact. 

We talk a lot about excercise, limiting alcohol consumption and having a balanced diet. This is all good and well, but we seem to shirk the obesity part of it. 

I agree with you that people should be able to have a frank and open discussion about the issues and causes of obesity. 

I disagree with your last paragraph because i think there has been plenty in the media etc about the negative effects of obesity. I guess that's a question if perception and maybe also where you get your news from.

A number of participants on this thread aren't interested in understanding any of the complex  underlying issues or in offering anything constructive. 

If we can all agree that obesity is a problem, i don't see what anyone gains from slinging blame around and being dickish about it (not you). It's this arseholery that is preventing the grown up conversation, not some tiny fatties rights movement. 

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Have you researched the demographics enough to say that "hitting them in the pocket" is an effective way to deal with the problem though? Have you enough info on both causes and effects of obesity/poor diet and health to know that actually that wont make the problem significantly worse?

That strikes me as more Daily Mail style lashing out, than any sort of sensible suggestion tbh. 

Do you normally demand that posters on the General Nonsense section of a Scottish football forum publish their own scientific literature review to accompany every post?