How Do We Solve a Problem Like Obesity?

12 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Articles like this, which come across as trying to excuse / normalise being absolutely enormous, are unlikely to help.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10024793/Tess-Holliday-cools-ice-lolly-enjoying-day-Disneyland.html

While i'll probably crack one off later to those delightful pictures, i did find "recovering anorexic" quite funny. 

(before realising i have next to no understanding of the condition so it might be a genuine thing that i'm being crass and insensitive about but still, funny.)

On 08/08/2021 at 10:00, BFTD said:

Just checked the scales today and, having lost four stone since February, apparently I've officially crossed the line from 'obese' into 'overweight'.

So, these obese c***s, eh? Bunch of wallopers. Grr.

Just get VT to head round your way and give you some abuse every morning, the rest will fall off you. 

On 08/08/2021 at 10:07, Thorongil said:

Adults just need to be moderately active and not eat to excess. That’s it. 

Don’t stay at home and sit on the couch all day long and, when you are full, stop eating. 

I wonder if anyone has ever forwarded this advice to the general public? Sounds like it would solve all our problems. 

27 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Articles like this, which come across as trying to excuse / normalise being absolutely enormous, are unlikely to help.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10024793/Tess-Holliday-cools-ice-lolly-enjoying-day-Disneyland.html

It's the Daily Mail, of course it's unlikely to be helpful. It's literally there to spark outrage from the gammons that read the paper. 

59 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Curry night at Wetherspoons might still be an expensive affair with her in tow.

@Bert Raccoon

On 08/08/2021 at 10:32, BFTD said:

This BMI thing is a bit of an oddity. Pretty sure I'd need to lose muscle mass too in order to hit the middle of the "healthy" weight range.

Guess I'll find out.

I'd say that's almost certainly wrong. 

If your body fat gets down below 15% but your still not below 24 you'll be in great shape.  

Edited by Detournement

32 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I'd say that's almost certainly wrong. 

If your body fat gets down below 15% but your still not below 24 you'll be in great shape.  

No idea. No doubt it'll take a good long while to find out.

Definitely been putting more muscle on lately and I'm still shedding fat, but the needle hasn't moved in a while. Could have a tapeworm, right enough.

• 7 months later...

I read something horrifying today on the topic of obesity. They want to take away our meal deals.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/calls-ban-meal-deals-tesco-23947171

Interesting article in the Guardian. Not as fat as the Maltese:

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2022/may/03/obesity-epidemic-proportions-across-europe-world-health-organization-who

9 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I do like the idea of calling a calorie packed sandwich, a bag of crisps and a can of coke a "meal". 🤣

Erm, it quite clearly is. 

Colour me shocked though that once again the losers in the public health brigade want to target the poor with regressive restrictions on consumption, instead of encouraging healthy behaviour through outcomes instead. 

There is a fairly objective measurement of obesity. It's time that this was used as the basis of a fat tax/'health credit' rather than trying to keep cakes behind a hidden counter or whatever these gimps will think of next.

1525828938_wpXTrvfKTCB4(1).gif.d696e6f9e833f01134b5de13e35c5b0f.gif

33 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I read something horrifying today on the topic of obesity. They want to take away our meal deals.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/calls-ban-meal-deals-tesco-23947171

P&B doesn't do many petitions, but this may just cross the line!

4 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

First it were sugar tax, now they are taking are meal deals.

Responsible adults are being punished because of greedy fatties.

Tell me that was deliberate!

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Judging by the downvotes to this post of mine, I'm beginning to understand why we have such a deep-rooted obesity crisis in the country.

People actually think this constitutes a meal. 🤣

What do you have for lunch?

1 hour ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Interesting article in the Guardian. Not as fat as the Maltese:

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2022/may/03/obesity-epidemic-proportions-across-europe-world-health-organization-who

It looks like the Manchester evening news has picked up a story from Ireland (which does have a Dr O'Shea as a clinical lead at its HSE).  

I understand that Irish meal deals are mainly potatoes and guiness so i can see his point. 

I don't have a "problem" with it. I'm simply chuckling at the idea that anyone could normalise a high fat, high sugar meal containing almost no nutrients by pretending it qualifies as a "meal".
Today I'm having some cold meat with a splash of mayo.
On another day I might have a freshly cooked lamb chop with some veg.
If I'm going to have a sandwich, I definitely prefer to make one from scratch at home.
On a personal note, I don't drink fizzy drinks now at all and I can't remember the last time I ever ate something like crisps - been many years. There's no getting away from the fact that those foodstuffs are pretty shite for you and certainly contribute to obesity.
Banning them though? That's a problem because I hate seeing control freakery at the best of times. Unfortunately our nation of fatties is literally crushing our health service and if people won't take some personal responsibility for protecting it by simply looking after themselves then it gives those control freaks an open goal to interfere in our lives and IMO that is not necessarily a good thing at all.
A "splash of mayo"?

In a way, I tend to agree with what your man is saying. The sandwiches from the shops can sometimes be about 500-600 calories. Add in a packet of crisps and a can of fizzy juice and it is not overly nutritious. That’s about 800 calories for your lunch. Obviously fine if you are doing it once in a blue moon as you are rushing for time. However, doing that every day is not overly healthy. Although this would need to looked at in the wider context of the persons lifestyle

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

I don't have a "problem" with it. I'm simply chuckling at the idea that anyone could normalise a high fat, high sugar meal containing almost no nutrients by pretending it qualifies as a "meal".

Today I'm having some cold meat with a splash of mayo.

On another day I might have a freshly cooked lamb chop with some veg.

If I'm going to have a sandwich, I definitely prefer to make one from scratch at home.

On a personal note, I don't drink fizzy drinks now at all and I can't remember the last time I ever ate something like crisps - been many years. There's no getting away from the fact that those foodstuffs are pretty shite for you and certainly contribute to obesity.

Banning them though? That's a problem because I hate seeing control freakery at the best of times. Unfortunately our nation of fatties is literally crushing our health service and if people won't take some personal responsibility for protecting it by simply looking after themselves then it gives those control freaks an open goal to interfere in our lives and IMO that is not necessarily a good thing at all.

See you can make a decent point when you avoid the crying laughing emoji's and trying to be cutting. I don't disagree that these supermarket sandwiches are unhealthy, but I also don't think taxing them more heavily solves the issue (it certainly hasn't solved our tobacco or drinking problems). It'll make government more money, that's it.