How Do We Solve a Problem Like Obesity?

Taxation and bans are pathetic solutions and would fail. Education is absolutely critical for this topic, educate kids as young as possible about healthy living better. It doesn't cost a fortune to eat healthy, nor to stay active and at least in generally ok shape. 

47 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

We have done for dried pasta, not for fresh.  It’s a fallacy that salting water for any of these is a necessity, rather it’s a matter of personal taste.

We’re edging towards one of these P&B situations where people think that something’s right or wrong; it’s not, it’s a matter of personal preference.  Like I said earlier we’ve done this for years and are happy with the food we eat, our palates have probably adapted over time.

Salt used to be used to cure food so the palate adapted to that. Obviously we don't need to cure food since fridges and freezers came along. 

My folks salt everything and my sister chucks salt on before she tastes things. 

I stopped salting pasta/rice etc when I was weaning the kids as I just made one thing and served it to them. I do add a bit to sauces now but other than adding salt to chips I don't really have table salt. 

The acceptance of body beautiful message that big is beautiful has gone too far. Being a size 26/28 in your twenties is unhealthy no matter how pretty your face is.

We don’t add salt to our food when cooking or at the table, haven’t done so for years.  Only downside is when we go out for a meal it is noticeable how salty certain dishes are.
How do you remove moisture from your meat before browning it? You're not going to be able to get onions optimally without salt to help draw or the water either. Your roast chicken won't taste as nice without brining overnight. Not using salt in cooking is madness and probably not doing you many favours, the body needs salt.

7 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
20 hours ago, Granny Danger said:
We don’t add salt to our food when cooking or at the table, haven’t done so for years.  Only downside is when we go out for a meal it is noticeable how salty certain dishes are.

How do you remove moisture from your meat before browning it? You're not going to be able to get onions optimally without salt to help draw or the water either. Your roast chicken won't taste as nice without brining overnight. Not using salt in cooking is madness and probably not doing you many favours, the body needs salt.

Removing moisture from meat before browning? Brining chicken overnight? Not saying these are wrong but I’ve never heard of such things. I though the accepted wisdom was to not season meat until after cooking so that it retained its juices?

Not using salt while you’re cooking just means it will taste like shit. If your blood pressure is dangerously high then fair enough but otherwise it’s just overkill.

There’s a vast difference between using it in cooking and the people who lather it over their plate when they sit down to eat a prepared meal that’s already been seasoned.

Removing moisture from meat before browning? Brining chicken overnight? Not saying these are wrong but I’ve never heard of such things. I though the accepted wisdom was to not season meat until after cooking so that it retained its juices?
Salting won't drag out the juice from the centre of the meat but it will remove the moisture nearer the surface. That's the stuff that leaches out onto the pan and stops it from browning as the temperature never gets hot enough.

You see this most easily on cheap bacon. Take a rasher, wrap it in kitchen roll to remove some of the moisture, pat it dry once more, then fry it next to one straight from the packet and see the difference.

Brining a chicken overnight is a bit more complex in its action but it actually helps the juices remain where they should be, as well as conducting flavour. Requires a bit of extra foresight but makes a difference.

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

Would you season a steak after cooking? 

7 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Would you season a steak after cooking? 

I'd put pepper plus any herbs or marinade on and lightly oil it before cooking and I would salt it after cooking. i rest it for a bit first though. 

No idea if this is "right" but it works for me. 

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

Salting won't drag out the juice from the centre of the meat but it will remove the moisture nearer the surface. That's the stuff that leaches out onto the pan and stops it from browning as the temperature never gets hot enough.

You see this most easily on cheap bacon. Take a rasher, wrap it in kitchen roll to remove some of the moisture, pat it dry once more, then fry it next to one straight from the packet and see the difference.

Brining a chicken overnight is a bit more complex in its action but it actually helps the juices remain where they should be, as well as conducting flavour. Requires a bit of extra foresight but makes a difference.

Cheap bacon's about 30% water and chicken skin isn't it? Appetising stuff. 

Wouldn't know where to start brining a chicken. Is it just in a pan of salty water or is it more of a dry rub? Presumably needs to be in the fridge? 

"Brine the bird. Make a brine by bringing the water, salt, bay leaves, juniper and sugar to a boil. Cover and let cool to room temperature. When it cools, submerge your pheasant in the brine and keep it in the fridge for 4 to 8 hours. The longer you brine, the saltier the pheasant will become. I brine pen-raised birds for 4 hours, old roosters for 8 hours."

That's from Hunter Gardener Angler Cook, which is my absolute go to website when it comes to cooking. Loads of simple tips (like roasting a carcass before making stock with it: a game changer) but also long posts about things like how to best make flour from acorns. The writing is brilliant and somehow pretention-free despite often covering obscure topics. Very highly recommended.

BBC radio Scotland had a segment on obesity and shaming of obese people today. Guest was Jonathan Ross’ daughter and the stuff she was coming out with was wild. She was furious and called out the presenter for ‘shaming’ after he quoted the rise in obese children from 40 years ago (1-2%) to more recently (think it was 15-16%). Just quoting facts and making no comment on it is apparently shaming.

She then claimed that obese people were targeted by the public and accused of being “the cause of Covid” during the pandemic. When he refuted that and said that nobody had ever claimed that, and did she mean that people had said being obese put people at more risk of having bad outcomes she was raging and hit back claming it “definitely happened, and as a larger person I know this”, before she eventually caved and said he was “being pedantic with her words”. No, you made a ludicrous and blatantly false statement and were called out on it, tried to double down before realising you’d fucked it and now are trying to paint him as a bad guy for pulling you up on your lie.

Fatties really don’t like being told they aren’t healthy.

3 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

BBC radio Scotland had a segment on obesity and shaming of obese people today. Guest was Jonathan Ross’ daughter and the stuff she was coming out with was wild. She was furious and called out the presenter for ‘shaming’ after he quoted the rise in obese children from 40 years ago (1-2%) to more recently (think it was 15-16%). Just quoting facts and making no comment on it is apparently shaming.

She then claimed that obese people were targeted by the public and accused of being “the cause of Covid” during the pandemic. When he refuted that and said that nobody had ever claimed that, and did she mean that people had said being obese put people at more risk of having bad outcomes she was raging and hit back claming it “definitely happened, and as a larger person I know this”, before she eventually caved and said he was “being pedantic with her words”. No, you made a ludicrous and blatantly false statement and were called out on it, tried to double down before realising you’d fucked it and now are trying to paint him as a bad guy for pulling you up on your lie.

Johnathan Ross’ daughter is an absolute slug. 

Taxation and bans are pathetic solutions and would fail. Education is absolutely critical for this topic, educate kids as young as possible about healthy living better. It doesn't cost a fortune to eat healthy, nor to stay active and at least in generally ok shape. 
Pretty much. The Mrs and I went on a health kick a few months back and the eldest was keen on what we were eating (she's 4). It didn't take her long to rattle off what was healthy and what the products were. The downside is that any time we get a takeaway now she loves to tell us how unhealthy it is.

The point being it wouldn't take long to teach kids about healthy eating. The two main problems with this though are that if they are from a family of slobs then they will obviously be fed what's dished up and secondly, HE (Home Ec, or whatever it's called up the road) was mainly used as a skive at school so it would need to be brought in out with that probably.

This reminds me of the singer Lizzo who is morbidly obese and is basically telling people that it’s okay to be dangerously fat. “Body positivity” and all that. She’s absolutely massive. Jillian Michaels, a fitness expert and personal trainer, got called out for being “fatphobic” after suggesting Lizzo is dangerously overweight.

2 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

This reminds me of the singer Lizzo who is morbidly obese and is basically telling people that it’s okay to be dangerously fat. “Body positivity” and all that. She’s absolutely massive. Jillian Michaels, a fitness expert and personal trainer, got called out for being “fatphobic” after suggesting Lizzo is dangerously overweight.

Yeah she’s the size of a medium size semi-detached, but if you dare say the word obese in her presence then you are scum.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

They just want someone to help them justify their own laziness and bad choices to themselves. It takes a degree of effort and self-control not to be a fatty but most people don’t want to admit that. Sad.

Johnathan Ross’ daughter is an absolute slug. 
Yeah she’s the size of a medium size semi-detached, but if you dare say the word obese in her presence then you are scum.
I hadn't heard of either of them so made the absolute schoolboy error of using google. Fucking hell Ross's daughter is a pure state and Lizzo will prob have a massive heart attacks sometime in the next couple of years. Honey Ross is a "Body positivity activist", whatever the f**k that is. Ridiculous.