Celtic and Hearts B Teams in Lowland League?

falski

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

The OF are the only ones constantly pushing for this. If you think anyone against colts would soften their views if it was Hibs, Hearts, and Aberdeen instead, you're deluded.

It's not that there aren't any. There's just far fewer of them. Football outside the top league tends to be far better supported and far stronger in Scotland (and England) than most other countries. Pollock Juniors would be something ridiculous like the 11th best supported team in Croatia, for example.

And that's a team who don't even exist 🤣

The OF are the only ones constantly pushing for this. If you think anyone against colts would soften their views if it was Hibs, Hearts, and Aberdeen instead, you're deluded.
It's not that there aren't any. There's just far fewer of them. Football outside the top league tends to be far better supported and far stronger in Scotland (and England) than most other countries. Pollock Juniors would be something ridiculous like the 11th best supported team in Croatia, for example.
This. It's not just because it's the OF. Would Dundee B and Dundee United B join the Midlands League, I'd be unhappy. Would Aberdeen B join the Highland League, I'd be fuming. That would just take the p!ss after a pyramid has just been established up here and piss on all the efforts we (and others) have been putting in so far to hopefully get promoted to the HL within the next few seasons.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Has he really even played for the B team this season?

Either way i'm sure it's another example that the Official Catch Up podcast can claim as a benefit to the Colts.

"Official Catch up" though is the twat in the hat and other Broomhill lickspittles.

I just think that fans are too hung up over the OF.
You would think that there were no passionate supporters of lower levels of football in any other country (OK, an exaggeration).
You don't go to Arbroath vs Queen of the South and see dozens of adults in the stand wearing Old Firm shirts or scarves, or celebrating when Sevco go one nil up at Ross County.

The equivalent of that was the norm at lower league football when I lived in Turkey and Italy. Even when pressed as who my Serie A team were the reply was usually "But who's your big Serie A team?". Even a lot of the lower league ultras have big teams.

3 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

The English clubs weren't mentioned earlier in this thread. The comparison was with Scottish clubs below the SPFL.

Pollok are  very well supported by Scottish standards but there are so many other clubs which have nowhere near the same level of support. Also  even Pollok don't rank very highly against many English non-league clubs. This can be checked out: There are lots of attendances figures available on the Non League Matters web site for anyone interested in attendances figures. 

Didn't mention the others besides the OF but my opinion on others are that they are welcome if the rules and regs are satisfactory to deal with any potential issues.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

You don't go to Arbroath vs Queen of the South and see dozens of adults in the stand wearing Old Firm shirts or scarves, or celebrating when Sevco go one nil up at Ross County.

The equivalent of that was the norm at lower league football when I lived in Turkey and Italy. Even when pressed as who my Serie A team were the reply was usually "But who's your big Serie A team?". Even a lot of the lower league ultras have big teams.

Fair enough but at least they were also supporting their local club. Presumably they paid to get in and for their pie. They could have gone to their Big team instead or just not turned up to support their local club at all.

How many times do you go into the local club's clubhouse for a beer and have good banter with others who support Big clubs? It's part of the game.

3 minutes ago, Dev said:

How many times do you go into the local club's clubhouse for a beer and have good banter with others who support Big clubs? It's part of the game.

Genuinely, never.  We chat and wind each other up about each other’s clubs,  I have never had a conversation result in finding out someone actually prefers another side.

37 minutes ago, Dev said:

The English clubs weren't mentioned earlier in this thread. The comparison was with Scottish clubs below the SPFL.

Well... aye. I just added them to point out that it's not a uniquely Scottish thing.

Pollok are  very well supported by Scottish standards but there are so many other clubs which have nowhere near the same level of support..

Obviously. If you don't see the significance of that stat then I'm not sure how much more I can help you out here. Scotland and Croatia have similar populations. Pollok are nowhere near the 11th best supported club in Scotland but would be almost one of the top 10 biggest supports in Croatia. Which suggests that, compared to Scotland, support absolutely drops off a cliff in the Croatian league once you get outside the top flight. Unlike Scotland, where clubs right down to the 6th tier get healthy supports.

Also  even Pollok don't rank very highly against many English non-league clubs. This can be checked out: There are lots of attendances figures available on the Non League Matters web site for anyone interested in attendances figures. 

Right.... And how many times bigger than Scotland is England? The fact that England have some very well supported clubs outside the EPL is absolutely in line with what I'm saying! At the 6th tier of English football, you have clubs from towns like Darlington, which would be the 5th largest place in Scotland. It's silly to compare the two like for like. 

Didn't mention the others besides the OF but my opinion on others are that they are welcome if the rules and regs are satisfactory to deal with any potential issues.

I'm not disputing that you'd think that. What I'd saying is that opposition to colts does not equal simple opposition to the old firm. It's a silly point that has been made and dismissed over and over again.

On 25/03/2022 at 12:57, Gordon EF said:

We're Pollok FC

No "c" and no "Juniors" in the name. Never has been.

Thank You

#notafish

On 24/03/2022 at 18:23, Marten said:

Yes, it's quite messy really but there are now 4 B-teams out of 20 in the 2nd tier and 2 out of 18 in the 3rd tier and these numbers are fixed. Then there is a separate 4th tier B-team division from which teams can get promoted to the 3rd tier.

Promotion/relegation is complicated but it works like this between the 2nd and 3rd tier:

• If the lowest B-team finishes in the top 10 in tier 2 and/or the highest tier 3 B-team doesn't finish in the top 2, there is no promotion/relegation
  • If the lowest B-team finishes 11-18 in tier 2 and the tier 3 champion is a B-team, both teams will play a play-off for a tier 2 spot
  • If the lowest B-team finishes 11-18 in tier 2 and the tier 3 runner-up is a B-team, there is no play-off
  • If the lowest B-team finishes 19th or 20th in tier 2 and a B-team finishes 1st or 2nd in tier 3, they will swap places

Promotion/relegation between the 3rd tier and the B-team 4th tier is as follows:

• If the lowest B-team finishes in the top 9 in tier 3, there is no promotion/relegation
  • If the lowest B-team finishes 10-16 and the B-team 4th tier champion is eligible*, there is a play-off between both sides for a tier 3 spot, if the 4th tier champion isn't eligible, there is no play-off
  • If the lowest B-team finishes 17-18, they will get relegated and be replaced by the tier 4 champion if they are eligible, if they aren't, then the runners-up will get promoted, if they are also ineligible, there is no promotion/relegation

*to be eligible to get promoted to the 3rd tier, a team needs to apply for a license at the start of the season. There are various demands like coaching structure and a suitable ground for the B-team to meet before getting a license. Also, the vast majority of pro-clubs don't even want a B-team in the regular pyramid so most will simply not bother applying.

A B-team can't be at the same level as their 1st team, so if a B-team would normally get promoted to the division their 1st team is in, there is no promotion/relegation. If a 1st team gets relegated to the division their B-team is in, the B-team automatically gets relegated. This season, Sparta B still have a chance to reach the top 2 of tier 3 which could see them promoted if FC Utrecht B finish in the bottom 2 (where they currently are). But Sparta's first team currently occupy a relegation spot in the top flight so if they get relegated, Sparta B won't get promoted and FC Utrecht B will get a reprieve.

Compared to the mess in The Netherlands (not just around B-teams, but the pyramid in general), the pyramid in Scotland & route to get where it is now has been rather straightforward and logical...

I like pointing out to the crayon munchers who support B teams in the pyramid and use Netherlands as an example that theres a correlation between the decline of their national team and B teams in their league system. 

I like pointing out to the crayon munchers who support B teams in the pyramid and use Netherlands as an example that theres a correlation between the decline of their national team and B teams in their league system. 
Yep, I actually regularly point that out too. None of the big Dutch stars in history came through B-teams. Also none of the current best Dutch players did btw, guys who are good enough tend to get straight into the first team or first go on loan to a decent side.

So what's the Dutch version of P&B?
Bitterballen en bier?
De Voetbalkantine, meaning "the football canteen" (pretty much all non-league clubs have a canteen that serves drinks and food, accessible to everyone).

So like a Social Club then?
Similar yes, although it's also where you'd go for food and drinks during the game or at HT, rather than a pie hut like in Scottish grounds for example. You can often see the pitch from inside.