Tory Lies, Corruption and Hypocrisy- Add Them Here

HTG

23 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Time to look out another lettuce.  I reckon Sunak will summon up the courage to boot her sorry @rse out the door by the next PMQs. Even the Tories are struggling to support her ravings in public.

See, I think this is deliberately calculated to put Sunak in a difficult position. When I say "current right wing project", I mean Sunak's government, and I think Braverman knows damned fine that she can 1. Get away with spouting reprehensible right wing shite that the PM can't, and 2. It actually appeals to folk who would happily see Sunak out of office before the next GE is due, and so fans the flames of the argument that he's too wishy-washy and isn't willing to get his hands dirty.

You'll notice that Sunak is not just his usual evasive self when it comes to Braverman, he makes absolutely no reference to, or even acknowledges any of the shite she comes out with. Ordinarily I'd say that's just typical "useful idiot saying the things the PM can't to gauge how they'll go down", but while I think Braverman is sleekit enough to get that, Sunak isn't, and I honestly think this is a power-play to make him look incredibly weak to the moonhowlers, and incapable of controlling his own cabinet. They have Lee Anderson to act as that "c**t barometer", there's no need for the Home Secretary to do it when it's such a prominent position and so close to the PM. I genuinely believe Sunak is too fucking thick to realise this is meant to undermine him.

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Braverman doesn't believe in half the lunacy that comes out of her own mouth. It's just weaponising hate to pander to the absolute dregs of English society, so she can position herself as the preferred right-wing leadership candidate when the current right-wing project inevitably fails, and they then conclude that's because they weren't sufficiently right wing and repugnant enough and a lurch even further to the right is required. Also clear she's trying to cosy up to ultra-cons in the States for speaking tour dates etc.

Aye, folk are giving her far too much credit by saying she's an unhinged loon. She's a psychopath, sure, but most of them will be. She's just seen the way BRITTAN! is going and isn't afraid to build a support base from an increasingly fascist electorate.

She'll be planning to have escaped to one of the made-man island hideaways for the wealthy by the time her supporters become more concerned about her ethnic background than what she says and does.

Edit: also, this year's Prime Minister will be quietly satisfied to have a Home Secretary doling out controversial views which he can pretend not to support - it's been the tried and tested strategy of every Prime Minister in my lifetime (except possibly Fatch, who enjoyed doing that herself). It's quite amusing how someone like Jack Straw can seem to have a fairly liberal persona, only to become part of the hang-em-and-flog-em brigade once installed at the Home Office.

Edited by BFTD

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Aye, folk are giving her far too much credit by saying she's an unhinged loon. She's a psychopath, sure, but most of them will be. She's just seen the way BRITTAN! is going and isn't afraid to build a support base from an increasingly fascist electorate.

She'll be planning to have escaped to one of the made-man island hideaways for the wealthy by the time her supporters become more concerned about her ethnic background than what she says and does.

In a way I think the cynical nature of it makes her even more repellent. I won't go so far as to say "at least old fashioned racists just hated people out of ignorance" or similar as if that makes them any better, but at least people with convictions actually believe what they say and think, regardless of the rights and wrongs. She's just wholly cynical, and happy to stoke-up and exploit hate for her own furtherment with no care whatsoever for how that might impact upon peoples' lives, especially people who are already vulnerable and marginalised. That, I think, is why I find her fundamentally objectionable, more than just the actual shite that comes out of her mouth.

1 hour ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

It's getting genuinely dangerous. She is the one whipping up a frenzy of hate.

She's basically incited right-wingers to go out and confront the Palestinian march on Saturday and if it kicks off she can say, look at what the bad Palestinian march did, they got aggressive with our peaceful poppy wearing skinheads. 

Just ask yourself this:

Would Margaret Thatcher have any of the current Tory cabinet in her Government?

I suspect not. Braverman would be catapulted into the sea for undermining the police. Grant Schapps wouldn't be given the role of tea boy, never mind Defence Secretary. All down the list of the current crop, you'd have to say no. 

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Braverman doesn't believe in half the lunacy that comes out of her own mouth. It's just weaponising hate to pander to the absolute dregs of English society, so she can position herself as the preferred right-wing leadership candidate when the current right-wing project inevitably fails, and they then conclude that's because they weren't sufficiently right wing and repugnant enough and a lurch even further to the right is required. Also clear she's trying to cosy up to ultra-cons in the States for speaking tour dates etc.

I'd argue she knows exactly what she's doing and saying. She may well be positioning herself as the far right candidate as next PM (aye, let's stop and think about that for a minute) but she spouts this pish knowing full well it'll be reported and hit the mark of those she's pandering to. No doubt she is carving out a future on the talk circuit, though.

13 minutes ago, Dan Steele said:

I'd argue she knows exactly what she's doing and saying. She may well be positioning herself as the far right candidate as next PM (aye, let's stop and think about that for a minute) but she spouts this pish knowing full well it'll be reported and hit the mark of those she's pandering to. No doubt she is carving out a future on the talk circuit, though.

Yes she knows exactly the impact of what she’s saying, but I think @Boo Khaki’s point is that she doesn’t believe it herself and I think Boo Khaki is correct.

It’s like Trump claiming he won in 2020.  He knows it’s a lie but it serves his purpose.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

She's a member of some weird sect of Buddhism that has a pretty long line of accusations of sexual abuse. She's a nutter. 

29 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Just ask yourself this:

I suspect not. Braverman would be catapulted into the sea for undermining the police. Grant Schapps wouldn't be given the role of tea boy, never mind Defence Secretary. All down the list of the current crop, you'd have to say no. 

Yes.  If she thought she could get away with it.  

29 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Just ask yourself this:

Some people credit Thatcher with the creation of the European Single Market.

Johnson got rid of any candidate that thought it was something the UK should be part of.

Say it quietly but they are the very opposite of what she intended for her party. 

6 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Johnson got rid of any candidate that thought it was something the UK should be part of.

Say it quietly but they are the very opposite of what she intended for her party. 

Exactly my point. If you look at what Thatcher believed in, and thought was important, the current mob think the opposite. 

If her home secretary was inflaming tensions like this and undermining the police, he (and it would be a man) wouldn't last 5 minutes. 

4 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

What you’re implying is the the political conditions in the U.K. in 2023 are the same as they were in 1979.  They’re not.

Thatcher did as much as she thought she could get away with then, she’d do the same now.