Tory Lies, Corruption and Hypocrisy- Add Them Here

HTG

12 hours ago, Left Back said:

I tend to stick to, and discuss, a topic rather than lump every issue into an over-riding opinion.  I think it’s rational but you feel free to bash on however you like.

If you want my opinion I’m quite happy to say outplacement is a load of w**k and no taxpayer (or private company money imo but it’s up to them) should be spent on it, by any organisation.

That’s not why I commented though.  I was commenting on the hypocrisy of those (like yourself) saying it is grift at Westminster while not saying it’s the same elsewhere.

Calling Johnson a c**t (which I think he is for many reasons) doesn’t make you any less a hypocrit.

Keep digging if it pleases you.

Aye, myself and the rest of the hypocrites will get to work on a BBC-style "other troughers are also available" disclaimer just for you*  :lol:

* other contrarian pedants are available

Fury as UK climate change minister leaves conference

Climate campaigners and politicians have reacted with fury to the news that the UK climate change minister, Graham Stuart, has returned to London from Cop28, my colleagues Fiona Harvey, Patrick Greenfield and Helena Horton tell me.

Rebecca Newsom, of Greenpeace, told the Guardian: “This is an outrageous dereliction of leadership at the most critical point during this conference. This is the moment when we need to see bold political commitments to unlock the gridlock on the text.

“Instead of fleeing Dubai, Stuart should be here to broker the compromises really needed to act upon developing countries’ urgent demands for more public finance to deliver a full fossil fuel phase-out. And he should be making clear that the UK, as a rich historically polluting country, is prepared to lead the way on delivering the renewable transition way from fossil fuels. The world is watching, and the Conservative government’s failure to lead at Cop28 is becoming increasingly obvious.”

Chris Skidmore, the Tory MP who wrote a review of the government’s net zero policies, said: “The decisions taken at this Cop are far more important and vital for the future of all nations than the outcome of a vote tonight that will have little or no impact in the long term. Politics is about priorities and our priorities should be demonstrating clear UK leadership on climate action, but you have to actually be in the room to lead.”

The Green MP Caroline Lucas said: “The government’s last shred of moral authority in tackling the climate emergency has been obliterated by this scandalous decision to leave Cop28 negotiations at the most critical moment. Adding insult to injury, if true that the minister is leaving the summit in order to vote in favour of the utterly immoral Rwanda deal, it shows that Rishi Sunak prioritises saving his own skin over saving the planet.”

Francesca Rhodes, of Care International UK, said: “If the reports are accurate, it is staggering that the UK government has no ministers attending the final critical days of Cop28. These negotiations will decide the fate of millions of people facing floods, fires and famine due to the climate crisis. The UK has played a productive role in the talks so far but leaving early is simply shameful. Time and again, wealthy countries have let down low-income countries. The latest text was deeply disappointing and does not keep 1.5C alive. When the UK should be standing up for marginalised communities, including women and girls, Rishi Sunak’s government has gone awol.”

10 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Fury as UK climate change minister leaves conference

Climate campaigners and politicians have reacted with fury to the news that the UK climate change minister, Graham Stuart, has returned to London from Cop28, my colleagues Fiona Harvey, Patrick Greenfield and Helena Horton tell me.

Rebecca Newsom, of Greenpeace, told the Guardian: “This is an outrageous dereliction of leadership at the most critical point during this conference. This is the moment when we need to see bold political commitments to unlock the gridlock on the text.

“Instead of fleeing Dubai, Stuart should be here to broker the compromises really needed to act upon developing countries’ urgent demands for more public finance to deliver a full fossil fuel phase-out. And he should be making clear that the UK, as a rich historically polluting country, is prepared to lead the way on delivering the renewable transition way from fossil fuels. The world is watching, and the Conservative government’s failure to lead at Cop28 is becoming increasingly obvious.”

Chris Skidmore, the Tory MP who wrote a review of the government’s net zero policies, said: “The decisions taken at this Cop are far more important and vital for the future of all nations than the outcome of a vote tonight that will have little or no impact in the long term. Politics is about priorities and our priorities should be demonstrating clear UK leadership on climate action, but you have to actually be in the room to lead.”

The Green MP Caroline Lucas said: “The government’s last shred of moral authority in tackling the climate emergency has been obliterated by this scandalous decision to leave Cop28 negotiations at the most critical moment. Adding insult to injury, if true that the minister is leaving the summit in order to vote in favour of the utterly immoral Rwanda deal, it shows that Rishi Sunak prioritises saving his own skin over saving the planet.”

Francesca Rhodes, of Care International UK, said: “If the reports are accurate, it is staggering that the UK government has no ministers attending the final critical days of Cop28. These negotiations will decide the fate of millions of people facing floods, fires and famine due to the climate crisis. The UK has played a productive role in the talks so far but leaving early is simply shameful. Time and again, wealthy countries have let down low-income countries. The latest text was deeply disappointing and does not keep 1.5C alive. When the UK should be standing up for marginalised communities, including women and girls, Rishi Sunak’s government has gone awol.”

BBC reporting he has been ordered back as he is pro Sunaks Rwanda deal and hence is required to vote tonight.

Surely there is a proxy type thing for that ?

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

And the Tories away on a Caribbean "fact finding mission" have been recalled as well. 

Tonight could be fun - here's hoping Sunak loses. Then calls an election. 

Caribbean "fact finding mission" as England are touring the West Indies (cricket). Sure it's merely coincidence 🙄

12 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

BBC reporting he has been ordered back as he is pro Sunaks Rwanda deal and hence is required to vote tonight.

Surely there is a proxy type thing for that ?

Nope.  To vote you have to go through the lobbies.  I believe there was an electronic system in place during covid but it's now been reverted back to the prehistoric system it was before.

2 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

If the Rwanda vote goes against them the Government has Plan B to stop the boats

dasboot.jpg.7c565d05af9c1fd13a73288216833cc0.jpg

The same govt who at the same time as running with the Stop the Boats slogan are in the process of putting somewhere in the  region of £70m worth of contracts out to tender to handle the whole small boat migrants processing up to 2030. Wonder who will win these contracts  🤔

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

The same govt who at the same time as running with the Stop the Boats slogan are in the process of putting somewhere in the  region of £70m worth of contracts out to tender to handle the whole small boat migrants processing up to 2030. Wonder who will win these contracts  🤔

Ticketus

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

PPE Medpro.

2 hours ago, EvilScotsman said:

I think he probably means 'pairing'.

2 hours ago, Left Back said:

Doubt the opposition would entertain pairing on a vote that Sunak is staking his government on.

They usually approve pairing on both sides. Always someone unavailable on both sides, trips, illnesses, hospital, emergencies to match up a few non voters either side.

There have been cases in the past of MPS taken from hospital beds in taxis to get taken through lobbies in wheelchairs.

If they all getting recalled they cannot be sure of pairing to match up and they know voting is going to be very tight, might not be in end but when decision made they were worried enough.

22 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

The bill passing tonight will be hailed by Sunak and Co, but that may be the easy bit.  It will face a stormy passage in the Lord's and there will be future opportunities for amendments which will hinder it's passage.

Hopefully it will never see the light of day.

It's still unlikely to see a single flight take off before they are ousted even if it passes both chambers. The legal challenges will then resume. It's a total smokescreen.