World Cup qualifiers - Qatar 2022

A comfortable Nations League A team and European Championship quarter-finalists versus a team that has been relegated from League B twice in a row and didn't even qualify. Very hard to say there's anything other than a massive gulf in class. It would be roughly equivalent to Scotland saying there wasn't a gulf in class between us and Spain or someone like that.

I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise, but that's ze Germans first to qualify for Qatar. Bit disappointed by how that group's turning out, considering the early running from Armenia and Macedonia. Romania surely won't f**k up second place now either.

Just noticed that, on FIFA's shitshow of a website, they currently don't have all of the African qualifying fixtures listed, and I don't trust their tables either considering I've been on there before and noticed that their CONCACAF table was out-of-date despite listing the more recent results  :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

A comfortable Nations League A team and European Championship quarter-finalists versus a team that has been relegated from League B twice in a row and didn't even qualify. Very hard to say there's anything other than a massive gulf in class. It would be roughly equivalent to Scotland saying there wasn't a gulf in class between us and Spain or someone like that.

USA ?

5 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Eni Alouko already talking about England in the world cup final 🤢

Well, it makes a change from her having a go at people who are on furlough or spouting any of her vile political views. 

Regards England, I don't think tonight matters but we could do with them beating Albania next up as it would increase our, admittedly slim, chance of finishing among the best six runners-up and earning seeding and home advantage in the first round of the playoffs.

14 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Well, it makes a change from her having a go at people who are on furlough or spouting any of her vile political views. 

Regards England, I don't think tonight matters but we could do with them beating Albania next up as it would increase our, admittedly slim, chance of finishing among the best six runners-up and earning seeding and home advantage in the first round of the playoffs.

I dont follow her on Twitter and havent heard of her views outside football. If they're on a par with already having England in the world cup final then aye shes mental

10 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I dont follow her on Twitter and havent heard of her views outside football. If they're on a par with already having England in the world cup final then aye shes mental

She was employed by Villa at the same time as John Terry and still managed to be our most objectionable ex-Chelsea and England player.

On 11/10/2021 at 19:37, Clockwork said:

A gulf in class, hmmm? emoji848.png
Even with the award of a really soft penalty (missed), the spoils were shared in Belfast in September. A deja vu moment in itself as Northern Ireland were controversially beaten in a 2017 play-off by the Swiss with an outrageous penalty decision resulting in a solitary goal defeat over two legs.
Gifted the lead the lead on Saturday night, and held for over 50 minutes by 10 men until they squeezed a late 2nd. They’ve hardly steamrolled the Northern Irish in recent contests.

Northern Ireland now have 5 points from 6 games, Switzerland have 14.

8 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

Must be a reasonable chance Qatar could put in one of the worst performances as a host nation after being thrashed 4-0 by Ireland. Unless it was a B team they put out for some reason.

I said the exact same thing in the pub last night. Checked and saw South Ireland had cuffed them and said to my mate that they’ll easily concede 10+ goals over their 3 group games. 

11 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I don’t think Wembley is fit to host big games as there is almost always trouble there.

Apparently a Hungarian fan racially abused a steward and when the police went in to arrest him the rest of the Hungary fans started attacking them. 

I for one am shocked that a police force that couldn't deal with Fat Dave from Slough after ten cans of Stella got sent packing by the professional hooligans of the Carpathian Brigade. Always good to see the pigs being put back in their box after they start laying into people with truncheons to 'make their message clear' as well.

I'm sure that FIFA will be taking the English FA's outraged and self-righteous reporting on the incidents very seriously, what with there not being any footage of the nick that the, err, English FA made of hosting an international final with their own fans present. 

10 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

Must be a reasonable chance Qatar could put in one of the worst performances as a host nation after being thrashed 4-0 by Ireland. Unless it was a B team they put out for some reason.

I think they're a decent enough team, they're fairly competitive in Asia, albeit that's amongst some utter shite teams. They played in the second round of qualifying (because it doubled as Asia Cup qualifiers) and comfortably finished ahead of Oman, who are currently occupying a play-off place in the third round. My prediction is that they'll be a bit like South Africa - probably lose their games but won't be pumped in any of them.