World Cup qualifiers - Qatar 2022

Denmark pretty comfortable, despite only being one up. Israel's passing has been poor, but they started to improve towards the end of the half. Will still be surprised if they get anything from the game, though.

20 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Denmark don't look too comfortable. I'm not too impressed. We could certainly hurt them. I'm hoping for a draw here in this game.

They certainly haven't been so far this half  :lol:

Edit: couldn't take anything from their pressure, and 2-0 down through a terrible defensive f**k-up.

Edited by BFTD

Pros: Denmark are decent, but not so good that we couldn't take points from them, if things go well.
Cons: Israel haven't got any worse, and could take points from us again if we're not careful. They're welcome to f**k about at the back as much as they like, though. Couple of real shockers there tonight.

4 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Fucking crisp shagger with yet another horrendous take.

I normally like Linekar, but not this take.

Meanwhile, due to historical ineptitude, Canada are still stuck in the first round of qualifying, against what you Scots would call the diddy countries.  We started with a 5-1 win over Bermuda, a team that historically would have given us a game.  Cyle Larin got a hat trick and 18 year old Theo Corbeanu got a goal on his international debut.  It also cap-ties him to Canada (I think), he's also eligible to play for Romania.

Next up is Cayman Islands on Sunday so hopefully we can get another win, just need to get through this part of the competition so we can have a legit shot at making it through the final round group stage and into the World Cup. 

23 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

I normally like Linekar, but not this take.

Meanwhile, due to historical ineptitude, Canada are still stuck in the first round of qualifying, against what you Scots would call the diddy countries.  We started with a 5-1 win over Bermuda, a team that historically would have given us a game.  Cyle Larin got a hat trick and 18 year old Theo Corbeanu got a goal on his international debut.  It also cap-ties him to Canada (I think), he's also eligible to play for Romania.

Next up is Cayman Islands on Sunday so hopefully we can get another win, just need to get through this part of the competition so we can have a legit shot at making it through the final round group stage and into the World Cup. 

If Wiki is to be believed, if (when) Canada win their first round group, you’ll face the Group E winner (likely Haiti or Nicaragua) in the playoff.

Surely got to fancy Canada to make it through to the final group stage with players like Davies, Larin & Hutchison against these wee island mobs and then one final game against someone like Haiti.

Edited by Nightmare

4 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

If Wiki is to be believed, if (when) Canada win their first round group, you’ll face the Group E winner (likely Haiti or Nicaragua) in the playoff.

Surely got to fancy Canada to make it through to the final group stage with players like Davies, Larin & Hutchison against these wee island mobs.

In theory yes, but I am not going to celebrate until we actually get the job done.  Maybe it's just PTSD from 20+ years of watching our MNT completely shit the bed when it matters most but I am still nervous about that playoff round.  

Edited by senorsoupe

I've been wanting to see Canada qualify again as I was too young to realise how awesome the group stage is in 1986, so it would feel like they were a new qualifier. Love watching countries who've made it for the first time (for me, at least).

It'll be interesting to see how they do against Suriname, judging by what was being said a day or two back. Sounds like they might be trickier opposition than (presumably) Haiti in the next round.

9 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Fucking crisp shagger with yet another horrendous take.

I swear an English pundit makes this point on something like a bi-yearly basis. Clearly still salty about that 1993 goal by Davide Gaulteri.

4 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

I swear an English pundit makes this point on something like a bi-yearly basis. Clearly still salty about that 1993 goal by Davide Gaulteri.

I think in their last 2 campaigns before this one they’ve had a minnow in their group. Andorra for definite. Didn’t they have Liechtenstein too? 

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

I think in their last 2 campaigns before this one they’ve had a minnow in their group. Andorra for definite. Didn’t they have Liechtenstein too? 

Euro 2020 qualifying they were in one of the five team groups so never got a pot 6 team. Pot 5 team was Kosovo.

WC 2018 qualifying Pot 6 was Malta.

Euro 2016 qualifying was San Marino.

San Marino go beyond minnow status & are uber minnows of sorts currently languishing bottom of the FIFA rankings in 209th & it's unlikely they'll replicate similarly sized Andorra who are currently in the lofty heights of 135th & ended up in pot 5 for WC 2022 qualifying. In the same group as San Marino coincidentally.

It's the old FA Cup argument of a player who knows they've nothing to gain against a team considered so poor. You win 20-0, and people say, "well, so they should". You concede an eight-second goal in a 7-1 victory, and almost thirty years later, all people want to talk about is how embarrassing it must have been. If you somehow contrive to lose, that could be a career-ender, especially for a manager. Unfortunately for them, their mindset is entirely at odds with why people love the game.

Personally, I don't get why any fan of a national team would get bored of watching their side administer a kicking once every year or two; it's not like England are good enough that they'll be bodying everybody else on a regular basis. Nothing but rank arrogance.