Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

31 minutes ago, virginton said:

Have you actually read the manifesto outlining the policy, or are you tilting at windmills to differentiate it from your big mate Corbyn's idea?

As far as I can see money will be available to companies who want to pilot a 4 day week. I don't see many care home companies rushing to access it. 

The Labour proposal addressed the issue of hourly workers by increasing paid leave entitlement. 

10 minutes ago, GordonS said:

What you're saying is manifestly wrong. Between the two of them my kids have moved from non-denominational to denominational schools three times. Everyone has the choice. It's separate, but it's not segregated.

Famously, in the US southern states before Brown v Board of Education kids could hop from one school to another...

What’s the ‘separation’ based on?

3 minutes ago, sophia said:

I'm not accusing you of anything so pipe down.

Your reaction shows just why politicians can't go anywhere near this sky fairy nonsense.

I couldn't give a monkeys why sectarian policies became established in areas that and I'll be quite frank with you, I have pity for.

😂

By not caring about why Catholic schools were set up you're inadvertently providing an insight into why they were set up.

They were set up because of rampant anti-Catholic and anti-Irish hatred in mainstream Scottish schools, as there was throughout Scottish society at that time.

I can see why coming from elsewhere you don't understand this stuff, but if you choose not to understand it then it's really ignorant and offensive to criticise it.

Just now, GordonS said:

😂

By not caring about why Catholic schools were set up you're inadvertently providing an insight into why they were set up.

They were set up because of rampant anti-Catholic and anti-Irish hatred in mainstream Scottish schools, as there was throughout Scottish society at that time.

I can see why coming from elsewhere you don't understand this stuff, but if you choose not to understand it then it's really ignorant and offensive to criticise it.

Ach, I was provoking you and you've yet again demonstrated why there is a cohort rooted in tradition and for those of us that know our history that is to be pitied. 

Oh and by the way, ghetto areas in the self styled riviera and it's environs do not constitute the whole of Scotland.

I think it’s all about parental choice here.

I certainly can say that in my area, the ethos in RC schools is good and many non catholics send their  kids to them.

As long as it doesn’t cost the state any extra in overlapping or transport costs I’ve no problem.

Likewise private schools. I sent my kids to a great fee paying school in Clackmannanshire and was really pleased with the result.

No cost to the state and, in fact, saving the state paying for my kids education.
We just did without some luxuries which other families had.

Win, win for the state.

I have grandkids at both feepaying and non-denominational schools and, sadly, there is no comparison especially during this Covid period.
Just wish Nicola would deliver on her pledge to put education at the top of her priority list.

I was (genuinely) joking with my comment about ‘blaming the schools’ earlier. 

Whatever the system that gives kids an advantage, however it is  found (whether religion, single sex, private paid for) is - to my mind - a good thing.

Sorry to confound the current wisdom but we are not all equal and it is a competitive old world out there - and the sooner our offspring work that out the better.

Or, the other option is to drag us all down to to the lowest equal denominator. I’m sure you’ll work out how that ends up. (Spoiler alert: i don’t think it’s the dreamt  of equal winning outcome for everyone that the altruists believe). 

Edited by alta-pete
Splelling

Maybe it's because they've been the dominant religion in this country for near half a millennia now but prods don't seem to appreciate the manner in which religion still plays a part in people's lives either spiritually or culturally whereas Catholics (and Muslims, Jews, Sikhs, Hindus or whatever) have had to contend with their religion defining them whether they wanted it to or not. That's fine though as the Prods will get to burn in hell for eternity for their heathenry.

Edited by NotThePars

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

Maybe it's because they've been the dominant religion in this country for near half a millennia now but prods don't seem to appreciate the manner in which religion still plays a part in people's lives either spiritually or culturally. That's fine though as they'll get to burn in hell for eternity for their heathenry.

F77A21C5-0668-4003-BCFF-88C9684A02DC.gif

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I think it’s all about parental choice here.

I certainly can say that in my area, the ethos in RC schools is good and many non catholics send their  kids to them.

As long as it doesn’t cost the state any extra in overlapping or transport costs I’ve no problem.

Likewise private schools. I sent my kids to a great fee paying school in Clackmannanshire and was really pleased with the result.

No cost to the state and, in fact, saving the state paying for my kids education.
We just did without some luxuries which other families had.

Win, win for the state.

I have grandkids at both feepaying and non-denominational schools and, sadly, there is no comparison especially during this Covid period.
Just wish Nicola would deliver on her pledge to put education at the top of her priority list.

Wow.  That must be the first time I've ever seen someone justify sending their offspring to a fee-paying school as some sort of altruistic gesture to relieve the burden on the state.  Why don't you just admit that like all the rest you were intent on buying privilege, masquerading as doing the best for your kids ?  And to add insult to injury these 'independent' schools disgracefully benefit from charitable status whilst embedding social inequity.  Just wish Nicola would take a hatchet to it.

You mention the state.  That will be same state which is obliged to provide an education to everyone irrespective of the ability to pay, their postcode, their family background or whatever other criteria assists in attempting to hoist certain children up the educational ladder.  Win, win for those of us with a firm belief in democracy and fairness in society.  

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

50 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Maybe it's because they've been the dominant religion in this country for near half a millennia now but prods don't seem to appreciate the manner in which religion still plays a part in people's lives either spiritually or culturally whereas Catholics (and Muslims, Jews, Sikhs, Hindus or whatever) have had to contend with their religion defining them whether they wanted it to or not. That's fine though as the Prods will get to burn in hell for eternity for their heathenry.

Not all Prods are the same, my eldest is a prod who'd battle anyone to uphold his daughters right to attend her school. 

11 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Wow.  That must be the first time I've ever seen someone justify sending their offspring to a fee-paying school as some sort of altruistic gesture to relieve the burden on the state.  Why don't you just admit that like all the rest you were intent on buying privilege, masquerading as doing the best for your kids ?  And to add insult to injury these 'independent' schools disgracefully benefit from charitable status whilst embedding social inequity.  Just wish Nicola would take a hatchet to it.

You mention the state.  That will be same state which is obliged to provide an education to everyone irrespective of the ability to pay, their postcode, their family background or whatever other criteria assists in attempting to hoist certain children up the educational ladder.  Win, win for those of us with a firm belief in democracy and fairness in society.  

The state system in general is poor in comparison, why the f**k shouldn't someone send their kids to a fee paying school if they can afford it. 

7 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Wow.  That must be the first time I've ever seen someone justify sending their offspring to a fee-paying school as some sort of altruistic gesture to relieve the burden on the state.

It's quite common. You hear it from the private healthcare crowd too.

Quite liked the sneering "we just didn't indulge in luxuries" bit, as though being on a high income isn't the important factor in the equation  :lol:

9 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Just curious.... what do you think Sarwar's motivation is for his kids going to a fee paying school? Are you suggesting that he is 'buying privilege'?  The Leader of Scottish Labour? 

7 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Just curious.... what do you think Sarwar's motivation is for his kids going to a fee paying school? Are you suggesting that he is 'buying privilege'?  The Leader of Scottish Labour? 

He probably wants his kids to mix with a ‘better class’ of children.

It’s one thing to (pretend to) represent the interests of the house polloi it doesn’t mean you want your precious offspring to mix with their brood.

18 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

He probably wants his kids to mix with a ‘better class’ of children.

It’s one thing to (pretend to) represent the interests of the house polloi it doesn’t mean you want your precious offspring to mix with their brood.

Nothing worse than mixing with the house polloi.  I think we can all agree with that.  (I hate autocorrect as well 😒

To separate children on a religious basis is, in this day and age, wholly out of step in a modern forward looking society, it creates divisions at a young age and it can lead to biased opinions and in some cases dangerous.

For me all children should start out in education on a level basis free of religious persuasion.

Religion should be taught in Churches, Mosques and Synagogues etc

15 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Nothing worse than mixing with the house polloi.  I think we can all agree with that.  (I hate autocorrect as well 😒

Corrected polloi, didn’t notice hoi.

Think the “house” polloi must be the cool kids.