Are YOU Voting for the Alba Party?

NotThePars

Who's Voting for the Alba Party?  

385 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

42 minutes ago, Ayrshire Analytica said:

While I'm skeptical that the SNP/Green coalition will make any serious attempts to bring about independence, because I believe that they've grown complacent, comfortable, cowardly and in some cases, rich, under the status quo of devolution, that doesn't mean that demands for independence will go away.  

If the current elected representatives of Scotland aren't up to the task, a future generation of Scots, who are willing to act with the necessary resolve and determination to see it through, will be.  

Britain is, by no means, "off the hook" in Scotland.  Look at the polls.  Your government are utterly terrified of the prospect of indyref2.  Hence, the completely undemocratic stance of "not now, not ever."

I appreciate your work here, chap.  Few bother to take time for a reasoned reprise of the situation.

The part you fell down on, though, is to draw a distinction between Britain and Scotland.  We solved this dilemma in 1707, thankfully.

On 08/01/2022 at 12:14, Dawson Park Boy said:

Wow!!

Devestating stuff.

Love to hear the response from GD and the SNP cultists.

The CalMac situation is a failure of project governance. As a project matures the scope, cost and schedule need to be firmed up and then frozen. Making changes once the detail design is complete and construction is under way is a recipe for disaster. There are many, many examples of this around the world on everything up to and including mega projects.

It always makes me sigh when you see politicians of all parties ask why the cost of a project has increased significantly from the first cost estimate given. That is simply down to the level of definition at the "idea" stage. World class organizations recognize that the tolerance on an initial "idea" cost estimate can be in the -50% to +100% depending on the complexity and how much design work has been completed at that stage.

There are recognised norms in cost estimation which give typical ratios of design work required to develop a cost estimate. You need to spend money to go to from an idea, to conceptual design (identify realistic potential concepts), then feasibility design (to select your preferred option), Front end engineering design or FEED and sometimes pre-FEED design to firm up the scope and cost estimates on your selected option, then your into the detail design which is the final build design which should give your final cost estimate. More sophisticated estimates will include deterministic and probalistic elements which should allow for better risk management with funds to drawdown when risk become issues.

I have always been frustrated that many economists (and accountants) seem to thing the first valuation at the ideas stage is a reliable number. I'm not suggesting that is the case for Alf Baird and I seem to remember he had previously identified the potential benefits of Scottish independence to the maritime sector.

The CalMac situation was a shambles. I'm an SNP voter. I'm positive that lessons will be learnt. I'm also keen to see from the reviews if the (civil service) Major Projects Authority was involved in the governance here. I have met some of the senior managers in that organization and those principles, if applied, should demand appropriate governance. I'm not sure if ClaMac is independent of that approach, it shouldn't be in my opinion.

I'm certainly not a cultist, this one was a shambles. The costs will end up at over £200m (+100%) for two new ferries. They will be late and expensive, but will go into service. What value will come from the £156m spent by the party you support on useless PPE contracts? 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

The only tiny little smidgen of relevance Salmond has now is as a ludicrous distraction for the Tories when asked where their funds come from. 

Embarrassing. 

The howls of derision and finger pointing at Blackford and his colleagues, from what seemed like the entire Tory Party, at the PM's revelation that AS presents a programme on RT TV was the highlight of today's PMQs.

Presumably they all must believe Salmond is still, in some way connected with the SNP.

44 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

The howls of derision and finger pointing at Blackford and his colleagues, from what seemed like the entire Tory Party, at the PM's revelation that AS presents a programme on RT TV was the highlight of today's PMQs.

Presumably they all must believe Salmond is still, in some way connected with the SNP.

Europe is on the precipice of war, the ruling party of the UK is awash with Russian money and influence, London is widely regarded as the money laundering capital of the world but but but slavers about a chat show. 

Strong murdered MPs in England "BUT AN EGG" vibes here. 

2 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I believe the Speaker subsequently issued a clarification.

I believe the Speaker subsequently issued a clarification.
The speaker was an absolute joke today. His correction to this.Then way he allowed the disgraceful scenes from the Tory's towards Caroline Lucas before turning on her to hurry up her question, which was barely audible.
He seems to be more interested in making sure he doesn't become the next honourless speaker.

3 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

No, they just figure that their voter base in the Home Counties will think that Eck is still connected to the SNP.

And they'd be right.

The speaker was an absolute joke today. His correction to this.Then way he allowed the disgraceful scenes from the Tory's towards Caroline Lucas before turning on her to hurry up her question, which was barely audible.
He seems to be more interested in making sure he doesn't become the next honourless speaker.
Hoyle is an absolute shitebag of a speaker. Bercow did grandstand but he was strong and generally stood for a lot less nonsense. Hoyle repeats the same stock catchphrases threatening action against the boorish Tory front benches then sits on his hands as the behaviour continues. After the same ermine as his father.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hard Graft said:

Alec Salmond speaking at a meeting in the Dobbie Hall in Larbert tonight. For the pleasure of listening to him you will have to fork out an entry fee of just £27!

Tbf you get a 3 course meal for that and you can byob, I'd make it a litre of vodka to get you through it.

5 hours ago, Hard Graft said:

Alec Salmond speaking at a meeting in the Dobbie Hall in Larbert tonight. For the pleasure of listening to him you will have to fork out an entry fee of just £27!

Does that include a sleepy cuddle?

Asking for a ‘friend’.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Does that include a sleepy cuddle?

Asking for a ‘friend’.

I don't think it's compulsory, if that's what Mrs Danger is concerned about.