Scotland Vs Faroe Islands Weds 31st March

Gordopolis

10 minutes ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

Nobodies saying they're not shite. Just that they're not bottom of the barrel San Marino tier shite. We're not going to turn up and win 8-0 by default.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Paul Lambert on the radio this morning describing the Faroes as "a good team"

Well no, plenty people such as Paul Lambert and yourself seem intent on pointing out that the Faroes are a tricky opponent. They're not, they're shite regardless of them being less shite than 20 years ago. A Scotland canter is the only acceptable performance.

image.thumb.png.29ab9e6fd586d068faed47059e4c623c.png

Disappointed that the minimum defenders i could pick was 3. Could easy swap out McKenna for Hanley. On reflection would probably rather Armstrong than O'Donnell. 

We should regard anything less than 5 goals as a shit result and not care if we concede the odd goal. 

These are shite. 

Heid first. 

Well no, plenty people such as Paul Lambert and yourself seem intent on pointing out that the Faroes are a tricky opponent. They're not, they're shite regardless of them being less shite than 20 years ago. A Scotland canter is the only acceptable performance.
The faeros were not less shite 20 years ago . I Was at the home game we won 3-1 in that section and the reason we had that draw in toftir was a result of our own inadequacies nothing to do with the level of the faeroese players. They were still pretty awful. We were beyond awful in those pinstriped tops that day to the point half time (at 2-0 down) it was reported that there was almost an outbreak of fighting in the dressing room (i think this might be what lambert was talking about recently. He and ferguson single handedly got us a point that day. )

Felt like the end of the world at the time.

21 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

I can't help but think of the San Marino away game immediately after the Kazakhstan horsing. We lined up with Johnny Russell and McLean in the side (okay, McLean has gone on to be decent for us, but not amazing) and Callum Patterson either started or was brough on early IIRC. Total hoofers XI. Shambolic and horrible to watch game.

Russell scored that game I think - so did McLean (think it was a really good header in the first half?)

The Faroes are a Pot 5 team rather than a Pot 6 team for a reason - they're not very good but not absolutely terrible. They're in the same pot that Kazakhstan were in during the last group, and could give us the same sort of game that Kazakhstan did at Hampden, which is that they might frustrate us, might even get a goal, but ultimately we should have far too much quality for them. I am definitely not expecting a comfortable 5-0 or 6-0 or anything like that, something like 3-1 seems most likely to me.

Wouldn't risk anyone on yellows tonight (Hendry, Hanley, O'Donnell, Christie, Dykes) incase they pick up a stupid booking and miss Denmark away. Especially with the game after that being Moldova at home where we can probably afford to miss them if they get booked in Denmark. Right now you'd think all would start in Denmark with the one exception being Hendry if Jack's back available and McTominay moves back into that position. Granted that's a lot of if's and of course we could have other players in the fold by September time but just thought that was worthy of a mention. 

Anyway, 

image.png.9d09c737bd859506c6e62c88fa843d2b.png

Only Nisbet because I didn't want it to be McBurnie :lol: Could play Fraser there I suppose and have Palmer come in on the right. 

34 minutes ago, nessies long lost ghost said:

What's the problem with McLean?

I wouldn't start him but he has never let Scotland down

I like McLean, but he's a square peg for a square hole.  McLean/Fleck/McGregor/Jack/McArthur could all do exactly the same role in this match, which is to look reasonably comfortable on the ball and effectively create nothing.

That works fine when you're not expected to do a huge amount with the ball in the game (against Austria etc.), which is where Jack stands out, as he's the best CDM.  But none of these are playmakers.

I used to think McGregor could do it, as he has often done for Celtic.  However, at no point has he ever made the step up and ran a game for Scotland.  It just simply looks beyond his capability.  I have no idea why, but it has never happened.

That's the difference in class when you look at McTominay, and at some point, what we'll see with Gilmour.  They used to say that Xavi was two moves ahead of everyone else on the pitch.  McTominay and players at his level are a move ahead of McLean et al.

They'll do a job - but against teams like the Faroes you need creative types who can create something from nowhere.  That's why we should be favouring McGinn, Armstrong, Fraser, Adams, McTominay and Christie (ignoring current form, as clearly Christie is not at his best).

1 hour ago, SJP79 said:

Faroe Islands current record vs Scotland 

Played 9 , wins 0 , draws 2, defeats 7 GF 6 GA 26

It's comforting to know that the Faeroes only have a ⅔ chance of scoring against us tonight  :lol:

Expecting a 2-0 pedestrian, uninspiring win & move on 👍

The Faeroese are a bit better than they were a while back but were still seven minutes away from losing to Moldova's worst-ever side last week in Chisniau. Yes, they gave the Austrians a wee fright at the start in Vienna by taking the lead, but in the end they were comfortably beaten.

As long as the Scots are not complacent and there isn't some sort of junior tombola selection, it'll be fine.

Probably one for another thread, but since we're talking about international diddies - if we were to pick a Pie and Bovril XI, what do you reckon the highest ranked international team we could beat is? We'd surely scud San Marino?

Just now, TheScarf said:

San Marino aren't Sunday League standard ffs.

Everyone scuds San Marino though. And there's bound to be a few lads on here that played at a half-decent standard.

If you're shiteing it off San Marino, then the team above them, Anguilla, might be worth a shot. Population of 14,000 and their best player plays in something like the eleventh tier of English football. We'd horse them.

1 hour ago, greenockraver said:

The faeros were not less shite 20 years ago . I Was at the home game we won 3-1 in that section and the reason we had that draw in toftir was a result of our own inadequacies nothing to do with the level of the faeroese players. They were still pretty awful. We were beyond awful in those pinstriped tops that day to the point half time (at 2-0 down) it was reported that there was almost an outbreak of fighting in the dressing room (i think this might be what lambert was talking about recently. He and ferguson single handedly got us a point that day. )

Felt like the end of the world at the time.

Read what he said properly for Christ's sake.

Guest SJP79
1 hour ago, BFTD said:

It's comforting to know that the Faeroes only have a ⅔ chance of scoring against us tonight  :lol:

Here's another stat for you Scotland are 1 win ahead of the Shetland Football team who have 6 wins against the Faroe's , though they have played them 26 times with the last contest being way back in 1991, 24 games , 6 wins, 2 draws, and 16 defeats 

Faroe Islands have scored in 9 out the last 10 international matches.

Our defence is utterly honking.

Don't say you haven't been warned.

I think we'll win but I suspect it's going to be one of those games where we make it hard for ourselves.