Midlands League

Marten

14 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Has the ERJFA cup been renamed the East of Scotland Cup or is it something different?

It's a bit confusing with the East of Scotland Football League and East of Scotland Qualifying Cup.

As far as I'm aware, it's always been called the East of Scotland Cup but at times it had a sponsor name. In recent years it was the Thornton's Property Cup, that sponsorship ended so it reverted to the original name.

1 hour ago, Marten said:

As far as I'm aware, it's always been called the East of Scotland Cup but at times it had a sponsor name. In recent years it was the Thornton's Property Cup, that sponsorship ended so it reverted to the original name.

The reason for why there might be some confusion is this:

https://www.ultrasoft2.co.uk/ersjfa/default.asp

image.png.c5f5914c51d17b01c9de043f0b312851.png

So its "Is this the League Cup or the East of Scotland Cup?" Since they were only running one of those the last couple of years due to so many league fixtures.

In 2018 before the exodus it was the DJ Laing East of Scotland (Junior) Cup - won by Penicuik - then a year later it was the DJ Laing East Region Cup - won by Broughty pictured below. http://sfha.org.uk/lothianjrcups.htm The final edition with clubs from south of the Tay was cut short by Covid.

With fewer clubs there was also a League Cup and Consolation Cup played, after 2020-21 the East of Scotland Cup doesn't appear to have been competed for - there's no results listed on the SJFA ER website and the last (Thornton's Property) Midlands League Cup winners in 2023 were presented with a different trophy (Lochee pictured below in 2022).

62489713_2094252040697047_81506913661296

final-scaled-1.jpg

Edited by Ginaro

5 hours ago, bobbydazzler said:

pretty stinking Scottish Cup draw for both Tayport and Dundee North End. 

Yeah, no fun to draw a team from your own league. I'm happy with our draw. Home v Hawick Royal Albert. I never want to take anyone lightly so I won't this time, but it's one of the best draws we could have had. 

Wrong thread, but I feel sorry for Invergordon being one of only 4 sides having to play in preliminary round 1 and then drawing Culter. 

Edited by welshbairn

On 23/07/2024 at 12:38, bobbydazzler said:

pretty stinking Scottish Cup draw for both Tayport and Dundee North End. 

A bit boring but a good chance to progress. Have heard there’s some trouble behind the scenes at North End so Tayport might have a better chance than you’d think. Again the wrong thread, but you’d think Amateur champs Cupar Hearts also have a decent chance of making it through at home to Wigtown. 

38 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

A bit boring but a good chance to progress. Have heard there’s some trouble behind the scenes at North End so Tayport might have a better chance than you’d think. Again the wrong thread, but you’d think Amateur champs Cupar Hearts also have a decent chance of making it through at home to Wigtown. 

Not heard about the trouble behind the scenes at North End, but they now have the very people where the trouble behind the scenes at ours about 1 1/2 years ago was around so I wouldn't be surprised. 

Cupar Hearts looked good against Kirrie last night, I went along to that one. I'd be shocked if they don't go through against Wigtown. 

3 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

Cupar beat Abbey Vale 5-0 away from home last season, so they'd have to be strong favourites.

2 hours ago, Marten said:

Not heard about the trouble behind the scenes at North End, but they now have the very people where the trouble behind the scenes at ours about 1 1/2 years ago was around so I wouldn't be surprised. 

Cupar Hearts looked good against Kirrie last night, I went along to that one. I'd be shocked if they don't go through against Wigtown. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Anyone know why the Juniors website still doesn't have the fixtures up? 

They don't have the Junior Cup or North fixtures up either. I don't know if possibly has something to do with the passing of John Reilly?

https://scottishfootballfixtures.wordpress.com/tier-6-7-north-midlands-24-25/midlands-league-24-25/ has the first few weeks.

2 hours ago, Ginaro said:

possibly has something to do with the passing of John Reilly?

When did that occur? At many games he would be at and he would always go out his way to have a chat, so sad. 

On 25/07/2024 at 18:24, Aidan said:

Craig Batchelor rocked up anywhere yet? Seemed like a good lad but the step up to league 1 was just a bit too much for him. 

Scored for Kirrie Thistle at the weekend cant see anywhere on their page if he has signed or not,heard Callum Grant is away to Kirrie too,

1 hour ago, mo83 said:

Scored for Kirrie Thistle at the weekend cant see anywhere on their page if he has signed or not,heard Callum Grant is away to Kirrie too,

I thought he might have come to the Glebe but we signed Dayle Robertson from Jeanfield Swifts and he looks pretty decent. Don't expect him to be as prolific as Grady but his work rate is superb

50 minutes ago, Kev8122 said:

I thought he might have come to the Glebe but we signed Dayle Robertson from Jeanfield Swifts and he looks pretty decent. Don't expect him to be as prolific as Grady but his work rate is superb

That's good the new lad is doing well for you, Craig Batchelor is okay but junior is probably his level.

Took in a couple of games at the weekend. Friday night was Forfar United Vs North End, which went about as expected given the gulf between the two teams. Craig Thomson should be a superb signing for North End in addition to their already impressive squad. Then attended Carnoustie Vs Lochee on the Saturday, where after an even start that saw Carnoustie have a good chance and a clear cut penalty denied, Lochee were really comfortable. Callum Moore was the clear MOTM, seen him play loads and that’s the best I’ve ever seen him. Had a hand in all 4 goals. Great to see Arbroath Vics getting off to a winning start too, still a young squad but they’ve signed a couple of the best amateur players in town and should fancy making it 2 in 2 vs Forfar United next week.