European Super League.

Lofarl

The EPL clubs can avoid it if they want but they may not be needed in the end. 

Would be very interesting to see a super league with teams from Spain, Italy, Portugal, Holland and maybe Turkey competing against the EPL. I also think the other teams in these leagues (like ours) wouldn't be that sad to see the bigger clubs go.

15 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

There are a lot of pundits and fans confidently declaring that the Super League is still a non-starter, as the EPL clubs are too proud and steeped in the tradition of their 31 year old league to consider joining those evil foreigners.. They'll be in for a wee surprise once Saudi Arabia start pumping their billions into this.

A lot of pundits paid to cover the existing leagues and fans of the existing leagues...

Sky, TalkSport etc will be mobilising to protect the golden goose.

17 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

There are a lot of pundits and fans confidently declaring that the Super League is still a non-starter, as the EPL clubs are too proud and steeped in the tradition of their 31 year old league to consider joining those evil foreigners.. They'll be in for a wee surprise once Saudi Arabia start pumping their billions into this.

Would they need the EPL? I think a league consisting of say Real, Atletico, Barca, Valencia, AC, Inter, Roma, Lazio, Juventus, Napoli, Porto, Benfica, Sporting, Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord, PSG and Marseille would be the best league in the world with a huge domestic market. It would surpass the EPL once it was established.

27 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Yup. Could add in that when McIlroy pretty much says ‘fcuk LIV and keep the kunts out of the Ryder Cup’, to then say ‘If we think we need Rahm to win the Ryder Cup, then pick him’, the gemme’s a bogey.

Fitba’ will go the same way. I’ll vote with my feet and stay away from St Mirren’s games in the Super League. Fcuk um’.

Is that the Renfrewshire Super League?

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

I saw Dave Cormacks statement. He really does love the limelight and the sound of his own voice.

There may be a new European League but so far Bayern Munich and Man Utd have said NAH. So maybe the bold Dave is talking shite again…..

Still smarting from the 2-4 demolishment you received from Big Cormack's Top Reds, I see. 

image.thumb.png.f21c4e196050d5983fa2a4b9dfbf99c7.png

31 minutes ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

Still smarting from the 2-4 demolishment you received from Big Cormack's Top Reds, I see. 

image.thumb.png.f21c4e196050d5983fa2a4b9dfbf99c7.png

Nah. Just think the guys a bit of a dick ! 

I happily will stand corrected when there is a new European League as he clearly stated there will be. 

Really struggling to understand this statement from Barcelona ""Barcelona will try to promote methods to improve current European competitions in an open and fully meritocratic format, making football more sustainable for the club, much more supportive of amateur football, more attractive and affordable for fans around the world. This proposal aims to improve football as a whole."

How on earth does the super-league improve the likes of Monymusk v Auchnagatt Barons.....is there a route to the "Star League" from Aberdeenshire Amateurs?

16 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Really struggling to understand this statement from Barcelona ""Barcelona will try to promote methods to improve current European competitions in an open and fully meritocratic format, making football more sustainable for the club, much more supportive of amateur football, more attractive and affordable for fans around the world. This proposal aims to improve football as a whole."

How on earth does the super-league improve the likes of Monymusk v Auchnagatt Barons.....is there a route to the "Star League" from Aberdeenshire Amateurs?

It's because if they said "we are skint and this might keep the wolves from the door for another year or two" then it would be too close to the money.

2 hours ago, ahemps said:

Would they need the EPL? I think a league consisting of say Real, Atletico, Barca, Valencia, AC, Inter, Roma, Lazio, Juventus, Napoli, Porto, Benfica, Sporting, Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord, PSG and Marseille would be the best league in the world with a huge domestic market. It would surpass the EPL once it was established.

Would a Marseille fan be bothered going to see them play Benfica when they are in 12th and 14th in an 18 team league with no prospect of relegation? Could Real Madrid cope going maybe three or four years without winning something? 

3 hours ago, Dr Koop said:

The tendency to monopoly will eat the domestics leagues. If the ESL kicks off and is a success, I'll bet it won't want any of its teams - apart from the ones they shitcan ever year - playing in domestic leagues when those teams can be playing in another painfully contrived ESL competition.

Yeah, you would think so. Domestic league performance would become irrelevant under this proposal anyway.

Bit of a shame on the cohort of decent local fans of the big clubs for whom Liverpool, Real Madrid or Bayern are their teams but they have made their bed.

For most of us the big clubs fucking off, whether it's OF to England/Atlantic League or that lot to play Al Ahly then who cares?

3 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I think this is called wishful thinking. Sky Sports pundits in particular exist to sell the EPL and it'll be more difficult to sell Swindon vs Bolton than Man Utd vs Chelsea. 

The game being ruined by cash is fine as long as the EPL is doing it, after all.