European Super League.

Lofarl

no doubt they had to expect a backlash, BUT I have got to think they couldn't have expected such a resounding push back from everyone.

• to the extent that UEFA are threatening players barred from competitions (which would no doubt be thrown out in court) 
  • That the useless BoJO would get involved and announce a special Govt committee on it..
  • That Mourinho would down tools : ) 
  • That people are calling for the clubs involved to be thrown out existing competitions.

By "they"  I mean the 3 American owners of the English clubs and the heavily indebted Spanish clubs.

As guilty as Man City and Chelsea are by association, you've got to think they only joined at the last minute through fear of losing out. They are not as desperate for the money as the above instigators.

6 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Have the Man Utd fans spoken yet? Will we see them walk away to set a new team to become rivals to FC United the other team set up the last time Glazier hung them all out to dry?

Yes there fans forum representative was on SSN earlier, spoke really well and was obviously dead against it.

Point that stuck out was he said the MU hierarchy referred to the current MU fans like him as "legacy fans" with the insinuation that the owners were prepared to burn there bridges with the local fanbase in search of the more new global  fans.

Great if they go and set up another "local" club or the fans find an alternative lower league club to support.

No-one mentions a Super league of any sort for the last 25 years. 

Then 90s cartoon the Hurricanes rocks up on STV player about 9 months back. The Hurricanes play in the World Soccer League of elite teams.

Next thing you know, all of a sudden this proposal lands.

I think it's time to take The Hurricanes off of the STV player. The damage done by this long forgotten 90s filler animation will be untold.

Ok as i much as i am not a fan of most of these clubs are they really the 12 biggest in Europe?

AC Milian - the 90's are calling

Arsenal - we're biggish when Hernry was playing but done nothing since, can't even get close to top 4 now

Atletico - ok i'll give you them decent deam and one of the best of the rest in Spain

Chelsea - becoming a better team now the cash has been turned back on.

Barcelona - yep one of the biggest in Europe but saddled with debt

Inter - big in Italy but poor outside it

Juvents - Yep, Italy's biggest club

Liverpool -yep i will give you them.

Man City - yep with the money flow coming from their owners.

Man U - not as good as they used to be but still up there.

Real - yep i will give you them

Spurs - WTF? they have won nothing in decades and only been close a couple of times.

I've got about 6 that i would say are the biggest in Europe and 2 absolute jokes (with Milian being close).  It all goes to show the over inflated ego's that there are 6 English teams in there

Where are Bayern, PSG, Seville - they own the Europa League.

57 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

We seem to just take for granted that these clubs are doing this for money but I'm not sure it's money per se that they are interested in. At the end of the day, the money they make will just be used to pay Kevin De Bruyne 700k a week, instead of 300k a week, for example. And noone gets involved in football to make money.

You think Kroenke spent a pile of money on Arsenal for any other reason than profit? He wants to make the kind of money that NFL owners make.

Clubs' second-biggest cost is transfer fees. These almost don't exist in American sports, so they will want to get rid of that. The biggest cost is wages, and they could significantly reduce that as a proportion of revenue if they can control the market and agree not to compete against each other. 

53 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Of course it is but this has been the direction of travel for a long time. The champions league has been tweaked and changed many times to guarantee that the competition is largely populated by certain teams. That is mutually beneficial for the clubs and uefa. They clearly don’t want the CL to be an actual competition made up of champions of each country. Someone already mentioned on the thread that the new proposed format has places for ‘historical achievement’. 

There's an enormous difference between a direction of travel and an end point like this. Directions of travel don't always continue in one direction for ever. In Scotland we had a direction of travel in favour of the OF spending tens of millions in transfer fees every year or two and that came to a resounding halt. Things change.

51 minutes ago, Detournement said:

If they could do that why don't they just start new clubs? Obviously because their entire brand is based on the intangible value created by real supporters. 

Barcelona have loads of tourist fans but the passion for the team in the city is extremely strong and the vast majority at every game are Catalans. Foreign spectators/viewers want the fan culture as much as the matches. 

Barcelona obviously wouldn't be going anywhere, but they could still look to play some "home" games in Qatar, the US or even Latin America. Look the Spanish supercup being played in Morocco and Saudi Arabia lately. I'd definitely expect a lot of games in this thing being played in odd places and maybe some clubs having second homes.

39 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

It's interesting that Mr Neville has been vociferous in his championing of the non greed cause yet his silence in there being 4 or 5 English clubs in the Champions league hoovering up revenue (un-available to the rest of the league/leagues) was deafening, talk about crying wolf when it suits.

That's not true, he's talked about it and he's been one of the people calling for a football regulator to make the game fairer.

3 minutes ago, Dylangt7 said:

Yes there fans forum representative was on SSN earlier, spoke really well and was obviously dead against it.

Point that stuck out was he said the MU hierarchy referred to the current MU fans like him as "legacy fans" with the insinuation that the owners were prepared to burn there bridges with the local fanbase in search of the more new global  fans.

Great if they go and set up another "local" club or the fans find an alternative lower league club to support.

Can see the hot new derby being peak viewing on Granada TV - MU Blacklegs 2021 v MU Told Yeahs 2005

4 minutes ago, steelmen said:

Ok as i much as i am not a fan of most of these clubs are they really the 12 biggest in Europe?

Arsenal - we're biggish when Hernry was playing but done nothing since, can't even get close to top 4 now

Atletico - ok i'll give you them decent deam and one of the best of the rest in Spain

Spurs - WTF? they have won nothing in decades and only been close a couple of times.

I've got about 6 that i would say are the biggest in Europe and 2 absolute jokes (with Milian being close).  It all goes to show the over inflated ego's that there are 6 English teams in there

Atletico Madrid were a laughing stock for years under Jesus Gil, firing managers every few months. Twenty years ago they were in the second division.

I remember watching Kerry Dixon banging in the goals for Chelsea in the second division on a sandpit pitch at Stamford Bridge in front of one massive modern stand and three sides of crap.

More recently, I remember watching Man City playing a league derby against Macclesfield.

I also remember Aston Villa winning the league and European Cup and Nottingham Forest winning two of them. I remember Everton storming to the league title with a team that might have been good enough to win the European Cup the following season, had it not been for Heysel. I remember Lyon dominating France and Valencia in two Champions League finals. And I remember seeing Steaua Bucharest and Red Star Belgrade beat the best Western Europe could offer.

13 minutes ago, steelmen said:

Tbf it's a collection of what's effectively the two OF sides in Real/Barca, and a clutch of sides who have regularly missed out on the Champions League over the past decade. The whole point of this is to benefit the second group, as it means they'll never miss out on that windfall again.

Tottenham and Atletico probably only got invited so they can have "derbies" in the schedule (Arsenal have always been big players behind the scenes of Europe I think).

Real/Barca will be quite happy keeping PSG/Bayern out this, as it likely allows them to dominate. Neither could bring any "derbies" either.

Wouldn't be stunned if shite from America is invited along/the "qualifying" stages include 4/5 sides from the Americas (Boca/Miami etc.).

Edited by RandomGuy.

29 minutes ago, steelmen said:

AC Milan won the CL in 2003 and 2007 and were runners-up in 2005. They've won the second highest number of European Cups/CL's of any club. They're a massive club.

31 minutes ago, steelmen said:

Atletico...ok I'll give you them?

Their nickname is the mattresses as they spent most of their history propping up the rest of the division

I see the govt are saying they are going to try and stop this.  It would be ridiculously easy for them to do it, if they really wanted to.

Reject foreign Super League teams work visas to play in Britain would put an immediate halt to it.

Remove all future visas for ESL clubs so they can no longer sign foreign players.

Just now, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I see the govt are saying they are going to try and stop this.  It would be ridiculously easy for them to do it, if they really wanted to.

Reject foreign Super League teams work visas to play in Britain would put an immediate halt to it.

Remove all future visas for ESL clubs so they can no longer sign foreign players.

Even local councils could surely revoke the safety certificates of the clubs involved if they wished to?