Energy Drinks

Does anyone on here indulge in energy drinks? I've found myself having them lately as a bit of a fad the past couple of months. Usually zero sugar Monster, sugar free Red Bull or sour apple flavour Reign, but have had others too. Never been a big one for energy drinks or even coffee or caffeine stimulants, but of late I've taken to having one in the afternoon a few times a week. Can't say I've noticed much effect from them, but I don't have more than one so that's possibly why. I did once try an "energy shot" and within about a minute had sweats, p***kled skin, hair standing on end and a horrible edgy feeling that took about 20 minutes to pass. It was some super high caffeine stuff designed for pre-workouts. Never made that mistake again.

I've seen quite a few anecdotal stories of people becoming "hooked" on energy drinks, getting heart palpitations or even liver problems from overuse.

Anyone on here ever overdone it on the Red Bull and ended up with a heart attack? Should these high caffeine stimulant drinks be regulated? Discuss.

There was a guy who worked at our place about 8 years ago, he brought in a 6 pack of Red Bull and worked his way through them every day. I don't ever remember seeing him eat anything and he was skinnier (and taller) than me (which I'm sure Pete will confirm is unhealthy/not human). No idea if he's still alive or not but he must've been a bawhair away from a heart attack/nervous breakdown at any given time. 

All drugs should be regulated IMO. Caffeine shouldn't be any different. 

Just now, The Moonster said:

There was a guy who worked at our place about 8 years ago, he brought in a 6 pack of Red Bull and worked his way through them every day. I don't ever remember seeing him eat anything and he was skinnier (and taller) than me (which I'm sure Pete will confirm is unhealthy/not human). No idea if he's still alive or not but he must've been a bawhair away from a heart attack/nervous breakdown at any given time. 

Can confirm that The Moonster is about 4' 8".

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Would someone drink 6 coffees in a day? My wife would, but she's a fuckign creep, so probably not the best basis for comparison. Doesn't seem to have any effect on her whatsoever.

Isn't there a load of other stuff in energy drinks as well? Stuff with made up sounding names. 6 a day seems excessive.

Once, and only once, I got drunk on vodka red bull and had a hangover the next day that was approaching existential.

3 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Zero sugar if having one, monster ultra a decent pre-workout.

Those who sit on the couch and consume the 39p ones will end up with worse than covid.

Is there a difference in the quality of the ingredients? How is one worse than the other?

I usually drink one a day but I also drink plenty of water and don't drink coffee but it's probably quite bad for me still. I can't say I notice much effect but I do like a cold wan in the morning. Red bull or original Relentless for me.

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I also had a guy that did a 6 pack a day, he would hyper actively laugh at everything anyone said and had massive long yellow teeth like a rat. Was in his 40s at the time too. 

Guest bernardblack

Is there not some crazy statistic along the lines of; for one Red Bull (other energy drinks are available) you have to have a few gallons of water to flush it out?

3 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Would someone drink 6 coffees in a day? My wife would, but she's a fuckign creep, so probably not the best basis for comparison. Doesn't seem to have any effect on her whatsoever.

Isn't there a load of other stuff in energy drinks as well? Stuff with made up sounding names. 6 a day seems excessive.

Once, and only once, I got drunk on vodka red bull and had a hangover the next day that was approaching existential.

I only have a maximum of 2 cups of tea a day and I never drink energy drinks or coffee, so it genuinely baffles me how folk can sink 6+ cups a day.  How do these folk get to sleep?

3 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I also had a guy that did a 6 pack a day, he would hyper actively laugh at everything anyone said and had massive long yellow teeth like a rat. Was in his 40s at the time too. 

Yeah, this guys teeth were absolutely rancid as well. He was a bit of an oddball from Garelochhead. I remember he phoned up on his first day to say his bus in was cancelled thinking he'd just get a day off and my boss sent a driver for him. He was gone within a few months. 

3 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Is there not some crazy statistic along the lines of; for one Red Bull (other energy drinks are available) you have to have a few gallons of water to flush it out?

That sounds suspiciously made up.

Used to work with a solicitor who was caffeine sensitive. He was only to have decaf and was a constant throughout the day coffee drinker. If the decaf ever ran out he'd demand to have normal coffee and then be a grumpy b*****d all day. In the same workplace was a woman from the other end of the scale who would have constant normal coffees throughout the day and if the normal coffee ran out and she had decaf she'd get a headache and start grumping.

The wired on caffeine feeling is skin crawlingly bad. Doesnt feel like "alertness" to me. Uf feels like some sort of misfiring of the nervous system. 

That said, I can be a wee bit buzzing after a strong coffee so my tolerance isnt great. Surprising for a former Buckfast aficianado...

Most of those drinks also taste stinking. Red bull especially tastes awful unless mixed with Jager. Quite like those. 

They can be quite nice to have outside on a nice day while on your lunchbreak from work.

In Thailand Red Bull comes in something resembling a medicine bottle and should be treated as such. Stuff is mental. A much nicer alternative is the iced coffee you get in Japan. Absolute rocket fuel and tastes quite good too.

28 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Is there a difference in the quality of the ingredients? How is one worse than the other?

I couldn’t tell you just going by experience of having a sip of one of them years ago. Absolutely rotten.