Scotland v Czech

GW34

This is a must win game IMO because I find it tough to see us taking more than 1 point from our last 2 games. 4 is likely needed to qualify (or 3 to be in a GD tiebreaker)

Looking at the Czech lineup, I don’t think we really need to have 3 CBs picking up one man in Schick so I’d give Tierney a licence to push up and help in the midfield. McTominay will need to neutralise the threat of Soucek’s runs. They also look weak at CB if Celustka and Kalas miss out so I think a front 2 with plenty of crosses into the box is the smart move here.

Vladimir Coufal at RB is their best defender so I’d assign Andy Robertson to neutralise him while O’Donnell will have a key role in the attacking play as a lot of our outballs will come from the right. If we are struggling to execute this strategy then Clarke must be prepared to give Patterson the last half hour or utilise the attacking threat of Forrest or Fraser at wing back.

Marshall

Hendry-Hanley-Tierney

O’Donnell-McTominay-Gilmour-Robertson

McGinn

Dykes-Adams

- I’ve picked Hendry and Hanley as my two centre halves but I genuinely have no idea which two from four Clarke will pick. Gallagher and Cooper have every chance of featuring too.

- O’Donnell will be a huge player going forward for us as Robertson will be needed to neutralise Coufal and Tierney will need to push forward and prevent us getting overrun in the midfield. This means a lot of attacks will need to come down the right. If SOD isn’t cutting it then we will need to change to Pattersson/Forrest/Fraser

- If we are chasing the game then I’d also give Nisbet the last 25 minutes in place of one of Dykes/Adams 

- If defending a lead then sacrifice one of the front 2 in favour of Callum McGregor to make more of a true 5-4-1 formation. McGinn would be the main support. 

I don't agree that it's a must win. It would be nice to start with a win - but it's not all or nothing for me. 
It's more a must not lose but if we want to qualify this is our best chance of 3 points, which would give us 1 foot through to the knockout stages. For that reason and with it being Scotland we are talking about, it won't be as simple as that.

Can see us taking the lead and losing a late equaliser.

“Must win” might be a bit strong but more appropriately, it’s by far our best chance to win a game and we almost certainly need a win to progress. I’m a bit concerned Clarke might set up to play for 3 draws (with the fallback that we can try and beat Croatia if need be) 

There’s basically two strategies we can employ to try and get through:

- Play for a draw in game 1 and at Wembley. If we get both we can try and play for 3 draws. If we only get 1, then need to go out and beat Croatia.

- Try and go out and beat the Czechs and if we manage it, then one draw from the last two is likely enough (and even two narrow defeats gives us a chance)

Personally I don’t think getting anything at Wembley is all that likely, anything we do get there should be considered a bonus, so it’s imperative that we win one of the games at Hampden. For me, the Croats are a better side than the Czechs so we should go for the first approach of going all out to get 3 points in the bag and then try and sneak a point elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Vladimir Coufal at RB is their best defender so I’d assign Andy Robertson to neutralise him 

Coufal has done well against both Robertson and Tierney this season, he isn't a particularly flash defender but will run up and down the wing for 90 minutes. His crossing is strange, it never looks particularly great, but he had seven assists this season. 

Soucek is a threat from any set piece, and is a surprisingly decent finisher. His weakness is passing, if he could do that then he would be at a top club. I imagine Clarke will tell one of the midfield to press him hard and hope to pick up loose passes. 

They got a pumping off the Italians but seemed to have bit of a mixed side out, they play Albania tomorrow night and I would imagine they will play a similar side of that we will face. 

I can see Dykes starting, just as he will put himself about and can compete with the height that they have, both defensively and attacking wise. 

Starting to get really excited for it now, got the day off on Monday, probably the worst thing that I could have done. 

34 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

image.png.a1f0792ad311833dbf2e92e07c46e684.png

--------

• Subs: Gordon, Taylor, Patterson, Gallagher, McKenna, Hanley, McGregor, McTominay, Turnbull, Christie, Fraser, Nisbet.
  • Not Involved: McLaughlin, Fleck, O'Donnell.

I'd have McTominay in for Henry if we're taking him out the midfield to fit Gilmour in.

Star Trek GIF

There's not a chance, nada, zilch, bupkis, that McTominay doesn't start in midfield if fit!

Forrest as wing back other than if we're chasing a game or both Paterson and SOD have been decapitated is pure mental too.

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

image.png.a1f0792ad311833dbf2e92e07c46e684.png

--------

• Subs: Gordon, Taylor, Patterson, Gallagher, McKenna, Hanley, McGregor, McTominay, Turnbull, Christie, Fraser, Nisbet.
  • Not Involved: McLaughlin, Fleck, O'Donnell.

Edited by ArabFC

33 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Could genuinely make 7 changes and I wouldn't be upset. Some amount of depth tbf

LINEUP111623247589130.png

I think that's what's giving me most optimism, is that we do have some good depth for the first time in a while.

My team:

20210609_164245.thumb.jpeg.c8e473081ecbb13e1ed692474a55ee3a.jpeg

I think McGregor and Christie or Dykes will play instead of Gilmour and Fraser, but I'm at a loss regarding RCB. Surely the Hanley-Gallagher-Tierney thing was just an experiment? Hendry did better than Hanley in the position and has the right attributes for it, but maybe Clarke sees Hanley and Gallagher as better options against CR's aerial threat. Hendry's huge but his struggles in the air against big Austrian and Dutch strikers could be fresh in the mind.

I have a feeling that Clarke will stick with the flat midfield three, too.

15 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

My team:

20210609_164245.thumb.jpeg.c8e473081ecbb13e1ed692474a55ee3a.jpeg

I think McGregor and Christie or Dykes will play instead of Gilmour and Fraser, but I'm at a loss regarding RCB. Surely the Hanley-Gallagher-Tierney thing was just an experiment? Hendry did better than Hanley in the position and has the right attributes for it, but maybe Clarke sees Hanley and Gallagher as better options against CR's aerial threat. Hendry's huge but his struggles in the air against big Austrian and Dutch strikers could be fresh in the mind.

I have a feeling that Clarke will stick with the flat midfield three, too.

This would be my team too.

Almost get the sense that Clarke wants to play 352 though and Gilmour won't start, so McGregor and Dykes in for Fraser and Gilmour is my guess.

Hendry is a 50/50 too. Wouldn't surprise me to see any of the other CBs getting the nod there.