Scotland squad euro 2020

Gauld the only real complaint, but other than that i can't really remember being as content with a squad announcement - usually there are a few contentious omissions/selections.

Wouldn't have been against having Griffiths there in some fashion but no real surprise that he isn't. He's known since November that he would have the chance to play in a major tournament this summer - never mind how much this/last season meant to Celtic - and has still been unable to get himself anywhere near full fitness. Don't want to go down the "he's only got himself to blame'' route given his well known issues, but there's no real injustice to him being left out here. Think Nisbit has taken his place as the player you chuck on and hope a chance falls to. 

55 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I'm talking about the quality of the player Craig. I don't think he's ready to potentially be thrown in at RWB if anything happened to SOD.

I'd rather have an inexperienced but talented player than an experienced one who isn't good enough. From what I've seen from Patterson on the pitch he has a good mentality and won't be caught out by nerves or anything like that - he's already played in the knockout stages of European competition too, which is more than you'll ever be able to say for Palmer.

In terms of how we end up playing, I would not be at all surprised if Gilmour ends up starting the tournament for us after showing up well in the friendlies.

Guest TheJTS98
9 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

Aye i'm certain they're told in advance, think that video might've just been him seeing his name up there officially for the first time. Isn't there some sort of form that's sent to clubs a couple of days before hand to release them/say they're fit to play? might be wrong there.

It's also extremely unlikely in terms of future relationships that the players who miss out find out through the media.

They'll all know a bit before. I think one of the Belgian players tweeted that he was in the squad before it was actually announced.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

I'd rather have an inexperienced but talented player than an experienced one who isn't good enough. From what I've seen from Patterson on the pitch he has a good mentality and won't be caught out by nerves or anything like that - he's already played in the knockout stages of European competition too, which is more than you'll ever be able to say for Palmer.

In terms of how we end up playing, I would not be at all surprised if Gilmour ends up starting the tournament for us after showing up well in the friendlies.

Your opinion is measured and fair. I don't take issue with it. I'm just not comfortable with a relatively untested player being thrown in if anything happened to SOD.

Gilmour is a generational talent IMO. Although I've been quite vocal that I wouldn't put him in just because of his potential, he was a nailed on squad player for me once it was announced you can take 26 boys with you. With McLean being out I expect him to move further up the pecking order. Really hope he impresses when given a chance.

5 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

@HalfCutNinja and @Baptiste Bourgeois

Could you two please start a thread where just the two of you exchange opinions on Scottish football, no one else allowed to comment.

I think it would be great entertainment watching you two dribbling morons smash each other in the face with verbal frying pans every 10 seconds.

Do it.  Do it.

Takes longer than ten seconds to log out then back in again.

happy with the squad. happy that Palmer aint going, and dont see what palmer offers to be honest, and at least w ith Patterson, we are looking to the future. taylor i see no reason as to why hes going, unless hes rooming with steve Clarke, and is providing the late night entertainment. gauld and griffiths are the two mentions, that everyone thinks we should take. Griffiths is a last 15 mins player at best. snap shot or a free kick, is he going to offer more than nisbet? gauld,who do you take out? Forrest? gauld has played well, but hes not exactly banging on the door to the squad with any conviction as yet,his time will probably come in wcq. 

Guest TheJTS98
3 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Can't believe after all the times Griffiths has come off the bench when Scotland are chasing a game and saved us, that he hasn't been included.

I don't think anyone is saying they 'can't believe' he's not been included. Just that in a 26-man squad he might have been worth a punt.

Most folk seem quite happy anyway. It's a good squad.

16 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

Aye i'm certain they're told in advance, think that video might've just been him seeing his name up there officially for the first time. Isn't there some sort of form that's sent to clubs a couple of days before hand to release them/say they're fit to play? might be wrong there.

Good management by Tuchel to leave him out of the Chelsea side completely last night so he doesn't get injured.

3 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

I don't think anyone is saying they 'can't believe' he's not been included. Just that in a 26-man squad he might have been worth a punt.

Most folk seem quite happy anyway. It's a good squad.

I made the mistake of going on Twitter. I don't have any complaints. Would like to have seen Gauld but that's because I'm a fanboy and I can't make a case for Shankland 

59 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Don't know why we're taking Fleck and 3 left backs but aside from that it's as strong a squad as we could manage

Because Tiernay is going to the tournament as a centre half. If required he can fill in at left back. Taylor is clearly just there as a complete back up.

48 minutes ago, drs said:

14 games, like I said - daft to take the Sevco reserve goalie.

Mclaughlin is the third choice goalie so hardly likely to play. He has actually been doing well when called upon for rangers plus is pretty experienced so will be good to have in the camp. Not sure how this can be debated

24 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I'm really disappointed for Lawrence Shankland. I think he chose poorly going to Dundee United. Had he gone south , I believe he'd have progresed more. Both Neilson and Mellon have squandered a genuine talent. I hope he gets a move soon where he'd be better deployed and get back into future squads.

Shanklands inital move to Dundee utd was the correct one as seen by him scoring so many goals. The step up hasnt worked for him due to United looking to shitfest to safety. He moved to a big club too soon previously and it didnt work out.

On the topic of Gauld, clearly he has been on form but who are you dropping him for? He is an attacking midfielder and he is not starting in front of Armstrong, Mcginn or Fraser. Doubt he would be starting in front of Christie. Christie has been shite for Celtic but generally has been excellent for Scotland and you are not going to leave him at home. That leaves James Forrest and, again, i cant see him being left at home. 

4 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Good management by Tuchel to leave him out of the Chelsea side completely last night so he doesn't get injured.

Be a nightmare if he scores the winner in the Champions League final and then gets injured.....maybe best he is rested from that game too

Guest TheJTS98
3 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I made the mistake of going on Twitter. I don't have any complaints. Would like to have seen Gauld but that's because I'm a fanboy and I can't make a case for Shankland 

Frankly, I'm seething that John Colquhoun has missed out, but that's fitba.

39 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Would agree with that if he'd taken another player in as second choice. 

As it stands if SOD is injured then we've got to throw in a young boy who (as far as I am aware) hasn't played wing back at senior level. If he's not ready we're then stuck with James Forrest who hasn't played much football.

I'm also in agreement that technically Patterson is ahead of both SOD and Palmer as a footballer.

That shouldn't be the case IMO. O'Donnell is a limited player. Patterson has shown in his few Rangers appearances that he can perform, he has arguably played at a higher level than O'Donnell already. I would have him in ahead of O'Donnell every single time. Put him in at wing back in the friendlies that will help get him up to speed. 

Or Clarke should grow a set and stop trying to shoehorn Robertson into the team go 4 at the back with Tierney at left back, as he is the superior player. Patterson can then play at his natural right back position too. 

5 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

That shouldn't be the case IMO. O'Donnell is a limited player. Patterson has shown in his few Rangers appearances that he can perform, he has arguably played at a higher level than O'Donnell already. I would have him in ahead of O'Donnell every single time. Put him in at wing back in the friendlies that will help get him up to speed. 

Or Clarke should grow a set and stop trying to shoehorn Robertson into the team go 4 at the back with Tierney at left back, as he is the superior player. Patterson can then play at his natural right back position too. 

Dropping Robertson to play a relatively untested kid from Rangers is mental mate.

Patterson has done well in some games for Rangers, ok in others. He's also playing for a team that have most of the ball in almost every game they play.

Wing back is an incredibly hard position to play. I think it's asking far too much of him to get up to speed in a couple of friendlies.