SPFL Trust Trophy (aka Challenge Cup)

The Challenge Cup is for teams to pick up some silverware but we have all moved on and Prem U21 sides need to be involved as do some Premier Non league teams. Its working, Kids are getting into the 1st team quicker. People are bigoted as f**k sometimes 

I’d like to see your evidence of “kids getting into the first team quicker” without going out on loan.

For me , the Challenge Cup has always been of lesser importance and that’s reflected in the attendances.

The addition of the Colts continues to undermine any importance the SPFL want fans to attach to the trophy .

Personally it only really gets interesting if my team gets to the semi finals.

If we are knocked out early then I’m not as disappointed as I am being knocked out of the League or Scottish Cup

20 hours ago, stan3600 said:

I’d like to see your evidence of “kids getting into the first team quicker” without going out on loan.

On Loan there is a chance they will be on the bench get limited game time, in a different environment with methods and tactics which may not help their development. Loans are needed but B/U21 is a better drive for players to progress quicker if the same style is played across the club 

40 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

What on earth has bigotry to do with this?

Edit: sorry, just seen this chap on some other threads and realised he's at it. Apologies.

People need to move on with their football. We are moving towards a model which includes B/U21 across the Scottish Pyramid 

On Loan there is a chance they will be on the bench get limited game time, in a different environment with methods and tactics which may not help their development. Loans are needed but B/U21 is a better drive for players to progress quicker if the same style is played across the club 

So no evidence then.

22 hours ago, mrman2011 said:

One of the big reasons why SPL clubs don’t want their U21,s going out on loan to lower league clubs is they don’t play the system their home club plays ie play out from the back with about 50 passes before it gets forward. (not knocking this). Surely playing a different system at a different club in must win games will aid their development. Or are we trying to develop clones/robots who don’t play more than one system?

Dean Campbell, Calvin Ramsay.

The conversation was about the benefits of colts teams in the Challenge Cup. Did these 2 make the breakthrough because of matches in the Challenge Cup? Of course some kids will go straight from the academy to the first team (hopefully).

4 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

The conversation was about the benefits of colts teams in the Challenge Cup. Did these 2 make the breakthrough because of matches in the Challenge Cup? Of course some kids will go straight from the academy to the first team (hopefully).

Did both play matches in the Challenge Cup? Yes.

Did both go directly from the youth squad to the first team without going on loan? Yes

Did both progress to the first team because of playing in the Challenge Cup? Absolutely impossible to say one way or the other.

Calvin Ramsay played for Aberdeen B against once, in a 6-0 defeat to Brora Rangers. Dean Campbell played for Aberdeen B against adult opposition twice, a 4-2 defeat to Inverness and a 3-1 defeat to Raith.

It seems very unlikely that these games had any meaningful impact on their development compared to the dozens of matches they played with their youth teams.

Screenshot_20210904-145036.thumb.png.ce7e6713b93ccc3ef9939f43bfb7e6bb.png
200.gif

That was more like our C team than our B team. Guys like Urminsky, Reid and Finlayson who played in the last round victory against Kelty are on international duty for the youth teams. I don’t think a single player in our team today has played a minute of senior football before.
Still, congrats to the wee Rovers good luck in the next round.