Favourite toys growing up.

On 24/05/2021 at 09:53, Hedgecutter said:

I fear I'm about to out myself, but here goes:

Did anybody else make their own Scottish Cup draws by writing club names on ripped up bits of paper and using dice to determine the scores*.  Squeaky bum time as teams you didn't like made it through the rounds.

*Throwing a 6 became a nil to keep it realistic, not that Civil Service Strollers winning the final 5-4 against Elgin was in any way unrealistic.

I remember for the 1976 Montreal Olympics, Weetabix printed a whole load of dice board games on the back of their packets. I adapted the participants so that Scotland could participate and would regularly “adjust” the dice results in their favour as required. 
128DF44B-32D4-4D9F-8063-318025468943.jpeg.f38e5ed407f7b4d620bc0eae1eab93fa.jpeg

http://cerealoffers.com/Weetabix_Ltd/Weetabix/1975/Olympic_Games/olympic_games.html

I broke my wrist falling off a wall at school and my folks got me Domino Rally.

Somebody mentioned it earlier but the Evil Kineval wind up bike was superb - had huge jumps set up in the hall.

Game I remember the most though was Space Attack - it was the absolute nuts.

images.jpgimages (1).jpgimages (2).jpg

On 23/05/2021 at 20:25, Melanius Mullarkey said:

This was the first games console in the house. Including the gun (which was shit).F928EE88-CCDE-4B1F-9E89-57197A216269.jpeg.cefe97512f258d20ccde8d5b9a6896b0.jpeg

Before my ZX Spectrum (48k none of this fucking 128k posh nonsense) I got Astrowars.  Found it in my old boys house a few years back, popped some batteries in and away she went.  Still going strong.

7A639D68-98E2-483A-9D87-AF82A3A01202.thumb.jpeg.7e658d51e3457a74f912435d57498e02.jpeg

Jesus, I had that Binatone console but had forgotten about it. Just remember playing that game with the ball/dot going from side to side while you had to keep it in play by moving your bat up and down. Shite for playing on your own.

On 24/05/2021 at 10:37, Alert Mongoose said:

Probably illegal now but were a guid laugh back in the day.

216D5961-121F-463B-9A6A-EE51CAD3FF3E.jpeg

Bought my 5 year old one about 10 years ago. (Not before he was born). You used to be able to get a similar effect by pushing one of the old plastic MacDonalds straws through a cheese burger and then blowing. The kids loved it.

17 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Anyone else have this? Feels like it was a more obscure LCD handheld, but it kept me amused for longer than any other: https://www.handheldmuseum.com/Grandstand/BMXF.htm

Grandstand-BMXFlyer.jpg

There used to be a cracking emulator for it, but the website seems to be down now  :(

Yes I had this. I'm starting to realise from this thread that my love of computer games was given to me by my dad who would always buy cutting edge for the time tech like this for me - he programmed with the earliest computers for a living. Hence the speccy 48k and the 16k thing he had before that whose name I can't remember. Just sinclair maybe? It had a completely flat 2D keyboard

Edit: behold, the zx81

Sinclair-ZX81.png

Edited by madwullie

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

Yes I had this. I'm starting to realise from this thread that my love of computer games was given to me by my dad who would always buy cutting edge for the time tech like this for me - he programmed with the earliest computers for a living. Hence the speccy 48k and the 16k thing he had before that whose name I can't remember. Just sinclair maybe? 

It was my mum, for me. I never asked for any of that kind of shit, she'd just show up with it and my mind would explode. Got me a 48K Spectrum when I was four, just on the off chance that I'd be into it. Even got a colleague at work to fill a C-90 tape with pirate games so I'd have plenty to be getting along with. Wish I could go back in time and warn her I wouldn't be worth the effort!

The original launch of the rubber-keyed Spectrum only had 16k, so maybe you had one of the early ones? I first thought ZX81, but they only had 1K of RAM. Yes kids, you read that right - 1,024 bytes of memory to work within. 8,192 ones and zeroes to create worlds.

Yes I had this. I'm starting to realise from this thread that my love of computer games was given to me by my dad who would always buy cutting edge for the time tech like this for me - he programmed with the earliest computers for a living. Hence the speccy 48k and the 16k thing he had before that whose name I can't remember. Just sinclair maybe? It had a completely flat 2D keyboard
Edit: behold, the zx81
Sinclair-ZX81.thumb.png.a13406695fb57ecaa39cd7ac4c5e69bc.png

A whole KB of memory

Which was double the ZX80

IMG_1621972799.720099.jpg.0cdd4bb941a207707163fabcdbe8b980.jpg

3 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

A whole KB of memory

Which was double the ZX80

IMG_1621972799.720099.jpg.0cdd4bb941a207707163fabcdbe8b980.jpg

Was the zx81 only 1k? Fucking hell. I was about 3 so remember piss all about it, or what he even did with it. Pretty sure it was hooked up to a B&W portable altho why I'm unsure. 

19 minutes ago, BFTD said:

It was my mum, for me. I never asked for any of that kind of shit, she'd just show up with it and my mind would explode. Got me a 48K Spectrum when I was four, just on the off chance that I'd be into it. Even got a colleague at work to fill a C-90 tape with pirate games so I'd have plenty to be getting along with. Wish I could go back in time and warn her I wouldn't be worth the effort!

The original launch of the rubber-keyed Spectrum only had 16k, so maybe you had one of the early ones? I first thought ZX81, but they only had 1K of RAM. Yes kids, you read that right - 1,024 bytes of memory to work within. 8,192 ones and zeroes to create worlds.

It was the zx81. I was slightly overestimating its k

9 minutes ago, madwullie said:

It was the zx81. I was slightly overestimating its k

"16K of RAM? When I were a lad, we used to DREAM about16K of RAM..."