Favourite toys growing up.

I fear I'm about to out myself, but here goes:

Did anybody else make their own Scottish Cup draws by writing club names on ripped up bits of paper and using dice to determine the scores*.  Squeaky bum time as teams you didn't like made it through the rounds.

*Throwing a 6 became a nil to keep it realistic, not that Civil Service Strollers winning the final 5-4 against Elgin was in any way unrealistic.

14 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Did anybody else make their own Scottish Cup draws by writing club names on ripped up bits of paper and using dice to determine the scores*.  Squeaky bum time as teams you didn't like made it through the rounds.

*Throwing a 6 became a nil to keep it realistic, not that Civil Service Strollers winning the final 5-4 against Elgin was in any way unrealistic.

No.

But I did use football cards to play games, leagues, cups, Europe, World Cups etc etc.  Even had transfers and noted them in a jotter.  Different parts of the house were different teams' home grounds.  

I'm relieved that's now out in the open.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Anyone who says they didnt is lying.  However I used my soccer dice instead (another thing I found again recently in amongs the old subbuteo shite) and the teams from the Shoot League Ladders things.

Spoiler

FOOTBALL SOCCER DICE 2 Player Game By David Westnedge With Instructions NEW  - £4.99 | PicClick UK

The Football Attic: League Ladders

ETA loved to do  British Cup with every team from the 4 English leagues included.

Edited by Melanius Mullarkey

10 hours ago, Raidernation said:

Surprised no one has mentioned model railways yet. I had a fantastic set up with 3 tracks so I could run 3 trains at once! Hours of fun! We also had Scalextric but I preferred the trains.
Meccano was another favourite of mine......wonder why my first degree was mechanical engineering??emoji23.png
Toy cars as well, spent many a pocket money on matchbox cars.
Airfix kits, made them by the dozens.
Also had Subbuteo and eventually something like 30 teams!

Too old to have been a real part of the electronic game age.

Model railways - was, is and always will be my favourite!

Had loads of model cars as my Dad was car mad and tried to get me interested put never got into the Scalextric thing, liked Lego and other contruction kits

DSC_0010.thumb.JPG.7ebcbf71537232590ad82799803b9535.JPG

16 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Anyone who says they didnt is lying.  However I used my soccer dice instead (another thing I found again recently in amongs the old subbuteo shite) and the teams from the Shoot League Ladders things.

Hide contents

FOOTBALL SOCCER DICE 2 Player Game By David Westnedge With Instructions NEW  - £4.99 | PicClick UK

The Football Attic: League Ladders

Ah, the good old days when Dundee were top boys and Hearts and St J were where they belong

8 minutes ago, Old Diamond said:

Model railways - was, is and always will be my favourite!

Had loads of model cars as my Dad was car mad and tried to get me interested put never got into the Scalextric thing, liked Lego and other contruction kits

DSC_0010.thumb.JPG.7ebcbf71537232590ad82799803b9535.JPG

I had a layout in a spare room, pretty sizable.   When it was complete, I realised the building of the layout was way more fun than running the trains so I sold the lot at a car boot sale in Bolton.

Quite depressing looking back on the toys from the old days tbh. So many toys just for the sake of being toys because they're fun to f**k around with, whereas now if you're in Smyths or wherever, every single thing is a commercial tie-in of some description, right all the way down to baby stuff. 

f**k capitalism m8s

29 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Quite depressing looking back on the toys from the old days tbh. So many toys just for the sake of being toys because they're fun to f**k around with, whereas now if you're in Smyths or wherever, every single thing is a commercial tie-in of some description, right all the way down to baby stuff. 

f**k capitalism m8s

The latest craze is for fidget toys.

These are wee crappy bits of plastic that just bend, click, pop, etc. The ones my kids like are completely unbranded, at least so far. These are like the toy equivalent of abstract expressionism.

Give it a couple of months and there will be Paw Patrol and Peppa all over the Home Bargains versions. 

My guess is that the branding is more for the grown ups buying the toys than the kids. Us grown ups have no idea what's fun for today's wee shites, so go for the lazy "she likes night garden: buy night garden thing" approach. 

If you are ever up in Edinburgh make a point of visiting the Museum of Childhood on the Royal Mile, a very interesting place but made me feel bloody old when I saw the number of toys I used to have listed as Museum artefacts..

17 hours ago, strichener said:

Thisimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHeiJHCCAzXfRvWATy_Z5

I had the rifle version, not the pishy handgun one.

I had that, it was on a shelf above my bed, I'd forgotten to close the blinds one night and as the sun rose it triggered the sensor and I was woken up by the cans falling onto my head.

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

The glorious gift of the Subbuteo Scoreboard, combined with the wee plastic bits from inside a Kinder egg allowed for extremely professional draws.

I never seemed to draw the OF together as often as happens in real life though. And they generally both got papped out in round 1.

13 minutes ago, Old Diamond said:

If you are ever up in Edinburgh make a point of visiting the Museum of Childhood on the Royal Mile, a very interesting place but made me feel bloody old when I saw the number of toys I used to have listed as Museum artefacts..

I thought this as well when I was last in it a few years ago. I am sure they had things like SEGA Master Systems or Mega Drives in there :lol:

4 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Throwing 4 Dice for each team with a 6 being a goal and then swapping dice for the second half and rolling another 4 each works better and gave you  the potential for last minute equalisers taking it to extra time

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)