Favourite toys growing up.

32 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I used to love going to visit my uncle in Ayr, as there was always a trip to Beattie's involved. I'm sure they later opened one in the shopping centre at Clydebank as well.

Scotch Corner in Kilmarnock was the boy for me.

Elgin had a tremendous 2 storey toy shop called Smiths in Batchen Lane. It later turned into a pub* and I ended up getting into the drawers of some Burghead scrubber somewhere near the old subbuteo section.  

*St Giles bar.

Edited by Melanius Mullarkey

P

Scotch Corner in Kilmarnock was the boy for me.
Oh, yes. Massive range of plastic models upstairs. Matchbox, Hasegawa, revell, Monogram, Airfix.. Looking back, you could buy the airfix type kits in the Radio Doctor, Road Runner, Scotch Corner, as well as Woolworths, Menzies, and even Boots. A far cry from today. I even remember poundstretcher casting a limited range of Esci kits - impossibly exotic back in the 70s.

8 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

P

Oh, yes. Massive range of plastic models upstairs. Matchbox, Hasegawa, revell, Monogram, Airfix.. Looking back, you could buy the airfix type kits in the Radio Doctor, Road Runner, Scotch Corner, as well as Woolworths, Menzies, and even Boots. A far cry from today. I even remember poundstretcher casting a limited range of Esci kits - impossibly exotic back in the 70s.

Yeah my older brother got loads of model kits out there, planes, ships and a massive Saturn V. I could usually wheedle a Star Wars figure or Hornby accessory whenever we went.

3 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

P

Don't think it was Poundstretchers in the 70s.

I remember I got one of these out some sort of shop similar to Poundstrecher 

image.thumb.jpeg.31e68da082b9bfafa82783fc86054908.jpeg

Unfortunately decided to have him grab on to the metal guard bit of my grans electric fire and his chest and part of his face melted and he ended up looking a bit like Simon Weston 

7 hours ago, Brummie Clyde said:

Transformers including Rock Lords, He:Men, Thundercats, Manta Force, Subbuteo, ZX Spectrum, Amiga 1200 (in particular; Sensible Soccer).

Goalscoring super star hero....

On 24/05/2021 at 09:53, Hedgecutter said:

I fear I'm about to out myself, but here goes:

Did anybody else make their own Scottish Cup draws by writing club names on ripped up bits of paper and using dice to determine the scores*.  Squeaky bum time as teams you didn't like made it through the rounds.

*Throwing a 6 became a nil to keep it realistic, not that Civil Service Strollers winning the final 5-4 against Elgin was in any way unrealistic.

Nope, used to do something similar, although to try and keep it as realistic as possible, I used to make up wee charts to determine number of goals a team scored per dice roll, depending on the league the team played in. For example, Premier league teams dice rolls would be something like:

Roll 6 - 4 goals

Roll 5 or 4  - 3 goals

Roll 3 or 2 - 2 goals

Roll 1 - 1 goal

First division teams:

Roll 6 - 3 goals

Roll 5 or 4 - 2 goals

Roll 3 or 2 - 1 goal

Roll 1 - 0 goals

Second division teams:

Roll 6 - 2 goals

Roll 5 or 4 - 1 goal

Roll 3, 2 or 1 - 0 goals

Non league:

Roll 6, 5 or 4 - 1 goal

Roll 3, 2 or 1 - 0 goals

Made for some epic 4-4 draws in all Premier ties.

Raith Rovers, despite their bottom tier status at the time, were rolled as a Premier League side because, well ma game, ma rules!

I really was a sad little boy!

Talking of toy shops, I remember it being a treat, when we went to visit the grandparents in Aberdeen, to go to Brian Sherriff’s. Wonder if it’s still there?

In Thurso the best bet was Durran’s. Bought a lot of my railway stuff and model kits from there.

7 hours ago, Raidernation said:

Talking of toy shops, I remember it being a treat, when we went to visit the grandparents in Aberdeen, to go to Brian Sherriff’s. Wonder if it’s still there?

In Thurso the best bet was Durran’s. Bought a lot of my railway stuff and model kits from there.

I regret to inform you that Brian Sheriff's of John St, Aberdeen is no more.

Quick look online suggests that the guy(s) running it retired in the late 2000s and didn't see the point in continuing it as the age of internet shopping was upon us.

Edited by Hedgecutter

8 hours ago, Raidernation said:

We had a Brian Sherriff's in Dundee too, a real old style toy shop - I too bought my model railway stuff there.  The only other one I can remember in Dundee was the originally named The Toy Shop.  

Anybody ever play "snips"? Two players cut a deck of cards, highest wins. Loser makes a fist and the winner gets to belt him off the knuckles with the deck of cards by the difference between the two cards, (if winner was 10 of clubs and loser was 6 of diamonds, the loser took 4 hits).  Skinned knuckles and blood a-plenty. 

5 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Anybody ever play "snips"? Two players cut a deck of cards, highest wins. Loser makes a fist and the winner gets to belt him off the knuckles with the deck of cards by the difference between the two cards, (if winner was 10 of clubs and loser was 6 of diamonds, the loser took 4 hits).  Skinned knuckles and blood a-plenty. 

We used snipes as a punishment for holding cards at the end in switch (no of cards = no of snipes) 

Absolutely brutal stuff. Decks of cards covered in blood etc. 

Edited by madwullie

56 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:
10 hours ago, strichener said:
Don't think it was Poundstretchers in the 70s.

Maybe not - it was one of those type of shop mind - a kind of prototype Home Bargains if you like.

Maybe Christie's 99p stores which were founded in the late 70s.  My original pocket money shop!

Edited by strichener