League Cup Group H: Saints, Pars, Thistle, Stenny, Dumbarton

Lex

Hard to judge how good we've been due to how utterly hapless that Dumbarton defence is. 

It’s almost become a rule that we shag one of the lower league teams in the group stage, regardless of how good/average/poor our squad actually is.

11 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Hard to judge how good we've been due to how utterly hapless that Dumbarton defence is. 

Best not to judge us on that. Think we had 2 under 18s in that defence who haven't played much football. Ever. Might even be amateur. 

6 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Best not to judge us on that. Think we had 2 under 18s in that defence who haven't played much football. Ever. Might even be amateur. 

Right back is 16 and on amateur terms at Killie, aye. I don't think Muir is signed as an amateur but he might be. Not a good day for the defence but I'll cut them some slack today given the team we had out, not much protection for balls coming in from wide areas and no protection from midfield runners. I'll judge the team when we've got everyone fit but I like the way Faz tries to play. 

1 hour ago, Reid said:

Penalty looked soft but hard to tell.

Penalty was a stick on for a push.  We had a reasonable first half but were well out of it in the second. Both players at the Thistle goals should have been picked up and far too often we were failing to clear our lines.

The main thing we are allowed back into the grounds and it was great after watching that remote camera shite.

Very enjoyable afternoon and plenty of Pars goals against a clearly undercooked Dumbarton side.

Could easily have scored 8 or 9 on the day and think there were a lot of good performances, with Thomas and MacDonald probably the star men.

Not sure how reliable this squad and system will be against better sides - the middle of the park is still alarmingly flimsy - but it was just lovely to be back inside EEP watching the Pars again.

5 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The thought of Dom Thomas toying with our covid riddled squad and children fullbacks led to me giving it a wide berth today. I’m not surprised we were easily hosed. 

It’s interesting  with Thomas,  he now isn’t toying with fullbacks by running at them and putting them on their arse,    He’s doing it instead dancing about Center midfield and picking out 40 yard balls to the strikers/wing backs.

Certainly not a game to judge how either club will perform long term,  but our own performance was very encouraging.

Edited by parsforlife

18 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The thought of Dom Thomas toying with our covid riddled squad and children fullbacks led to me giving it a wide berth today. I’m not surprised we were easily hosed. 

Like that? 

It's impossible to be annoyed at Dom even when it's us he's ripping the pish out of.

We've got the Covid 4 back for tomorrow night so hopefully we're a bit more resilient. 

Are there any tickets available for away fans tomorrow at Thistle? Wasn't going to bother my arse but a nice sunny evening with a few pints in the West end is now intriguing me. 

Edited by The Moonster

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

It's impossible to be annoyed at Dom even when it's us he's ripping the pish out of.

We've got the Covid 4 back for tomorrow night so hopefully we're a bit more resilient. 

Are there any tickets available for away fans tomorrow at Thistle? Wasn't going to bother my arse but a nice sunny evening with a few pints in the West end is now intriguing me. 

Nope, home fans only.

I've not really been paying massive attention: have Thistle got anything about them at all? Any chance of an upset against us? As has been said, we are a different prospect to how we've been in previous pre-seasons, but Dumbarton's travails have given the group an odd look.

48 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Got my tickets for the Stenny game on Sat. Hopefully another good performance and 3 points but will be weird to not know if we’ve qualified or not with St Mirren vs Thiste taking place on Sunday.

Surely if you win you'll know by full time on Saturday whether you're one of the best runners up regardless of what happens between us and St Mirren. 9 points and a very positive goal difference would almost certainly be enough, there's already at least 2 groups where the 2nd place team can't get to 9 points. 

23 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I've not really been paying massive attention: have Thistle got anything about them at all? Any chance of an upset against us? As has been said, we are a different prospect to how we've been in previous pre-seasons, but Dumbarton's travails have given the group an odd look.

Wouldn't think so, on the limited evidence I've seen we're OK going forward but fairly calamitous at the back due to our only competent CB being out for months. 

Edited by Fuctifano