G'Day! Ange's Gap Year Celtic Euro Backpacking Tour 2021/22.

8 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Far too good domestically. Nowhere near good enough in Europe.

It genuinely must be shite being a Celtic fan. The only meaningful* matches they have are against their bigoted brothers from across the city. 

*Debatable given how shite Rangers are. 

And that's it summed up for me. OF managers and players should be judged on how they perform against much better teams.

German team beats Scottish team isn't that much of a surprise let's be honest.

It's the manner of the defeat, that should rankle.

Rodgers has to own that performance, he's now showing an inability to learn from it. From people that have worked with him he's a control freak and is blinkered to anything but his own opinion as to how things should be done. Hes surrounded by yes men and thats how he wants it.

Most seasons a team from the lesser leagues gets into the knockout stages in Europe's competitions, teams from Denmark, Austria, Belgium etc

Should it therefore be too much to ask that a team with 60,000 going through the doors every second week and a reported £77m in the bank might punch above their weight just once?

13 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

You have to appreciate the Old Firm mentality.  It's all about the grubby little faux religious and cultural war with their local rivals, and due to their huge domestic echo chambers, which includes the media, everything else is reduced to background noise.

Exactly. The sport of football is almost an irrelevance to them. They do not consider themselves to be a football club, they think of themselves as an 'Irish Catholic' club who just happen to play football. And, as longs as it brings in the money, the Kellys, Whites and Lawwells have been happy to pander and encourage the vile bullshit that is this 19th century secterian mindset.

1 hour ago, AJF said:

Yep, I suppose the second part of my point (which was cropped out) is why it would bother you if a Rangers fan was poking fun at a poor Celtic result in the same vein everyone else is?

ETA: maybe it’s something I’ll not understand. It just adds to a perception of being unwelcome on the forum.

No, you’re playing this card far too much I’m afraid. You’re welcome on the forum, but rangers as a club and a fanbase are generally not liked in here, in Scottish football or in society other than brexity English towns. 

Nobody wants to be seen as sharing the same side as you when you join in laughing at Celtic, much like I can’t stand a Celtic fan trying to pat me on the back for not liking rangers. It’s just a different thing. 

22 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

And that's it summed up for me. OF managers and players should be judged on how they perform against much better teams.

German team beats Scottish team isn't that much of a surprise let's be honest.

It's the manner of the defeat, that should rankle.

Rodgers has to own that performance, he's now showing an inability to learn from it. From people that have worked with him he's a control freak and is blinkered to anything but his own opinion as to how things should be done. Hes surrounded by yes men and thats how he wants it.

Most seasons a team from the lesser leagues gets into the knockout stages in Europe's competitions, teams from Denmark, Austria, Belgium etc

Should it therefore be too much to ask that a team with 60,000 going through the doors every second week and a reported £77m in the bank might punch above their weight just once?

I can't think why they would need all that money in the bank. Is it to pay off the sfa and the spfl or Scottish referees for favours granted , can't think what else they would need it for.

24 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

No, you’re playing this card far too much I’m afraid. You’re welcome on the forum, but rangers as a club and a fanbase are generally not liked in here, in Scottish football or in society other than brexity English towns. 

Nobody wants to be seen as sharing the same side as you when you join in laughing at Celtic, much like I can’t stand a Celtic fan trying to pat me on the back for not liking rangers. It’s just a different thing. 

Aye, f**k off to ff you f**king f**k @AJF

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

You have to appreciate the Old Firm mentality.  It's all about the grubby little faux religious and cultural war with their local rivals, and due to their huge domestic echo chambers, which includes the media, everything else is reduced to background noise.

👏👏 Beautifully put, OKI. The very sad part is, there is not one Scottish fitba' scribbler who has the balls, nor the creativity, to say this in print.

2 hours ago, AJF said:

Yep, I suppose the second part of my point (which was cropped out) is why it would bother you if a Rangers fan was poking fun at a poor Celtic result in the same vein everyone else is?

ETA: maybe it’s something I’ll not understand. It just adds to a perception of being unwelcome on the forum.

Perception?

Hilarious but all so predictable. What on earth possessed Brendan to think that Celtic could go toe to toe with last years CL finalists in their own patch?  

In a way we diddy teams should take the credit for this. We've lulled them into a false sense of security. They think that whipping St Johnstone makes them able to take on the best teams in the world on equal footing. They made no plans to deal with any of the German players think that they should worry about players like Maeda and Kuhn. Their team is totally unequipped to play in any other way that charging in.  Until they learn to be pragmatic we can look forward to many more nights like this. 

Hail Hail - may they keep playing the Celtic Way forever. 

23 hours ago, Greenlantern said:

I watched Nuri Sahin's presser yesterday, very complimentary to Celtic. Dortmund certainly won't underestimate us tonight. We've got to go into these games with the correct mentality aiming to cause them problems and with the intention of taking points off them. 

A lot of these players have lessons learned from big european nights, understanding the ebb and flows of these matches and the big moments that change the course of the game. 

Always hopeful but never expectant. I'd love to silence the yellow wall and give them cause for concern. 

Sorry, I've not caught up with this game. 

How did it go?

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think the bold part is what I don’t understand or fail to appreciate. It’s not as if we are joining forces here, it’s just blatantly obvious that we are going to share the same opinion because we each happen to not be Celtic fans.

When I’m poking fun at Celtic it’s not in a collective “all of us vs them” sense, it’s simply because I personally like to see them struggle. Why shouldn’t I be free to voice that opinion without comment just like others do 😅

Edited by AJF