Fun facts

23 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The Vatican doesn’t recognise the existence of china

Is this like when the internet decided that Finland didn't exist? The Pope thinks that the Kazakhs can just sail straight over to Korea?

On 15/03/2022 at 18:01, BFTD said:

Is this like when the internet decided that Finland didn't exist? The Pope thinks that the Kazakhs can just sail straight over to Korea?

I'd only heard of that Finland thing recently....the idea is that it's open sea that the Japanese and Russians have carved up the fishing rights to between them supposedly, hence "FIN-land".

Falls down when you realise that's not actually the name of the country...if you slur it a bit, "Suomi" might sound a bit like "swimmy" though.

39 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

I'd only heard of that Finland thing recently....the idea is that it's open sea that the Japanese and Russians have carved up the fishing rights to between them supposedly, hence "FIN-land".

Falls down when you realise that's not actually the name of the country...if you slur it a bit, "Suomi" might sound a bit like "swimmy" though.

I always feel like I'm missing something really obvious with this conspiracy theory, but isn't the expanse of sea between Sweden and Russia (which definitely isn't Finland) rather a long way from Japan?

4 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I always feel like I'm missing something really obvious with this conspiracy theory, but isn't the expanse of sea between Sweden and Russia (which definitely isn't Finland) rather a long way from Japan?

I guess whoever concocted it cast around and looked for a country that really, really liked fish. I wondered how the fact that most of us will have met at least one Finnish person was explained away, but apparently they all actually either live in east Sweden or west Russia and are unaware of the fact 🤨

10 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Australia doesn't exist. It's just a movie studio in the desert outside Las Vegas

So who came up with that fucking accent?

9 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

It's fake, like Aberdonian. They don't talk like that when outsiders aren't around. 

I did wonder how they seem to end up all over the world rather than in Australia.

9 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

No he's no.  Vatican City is surrounded by Rome, but not in Rome. 

If you visit the Vatican, there's a wee outdoors bar down some stairs to the left just before the Sistine Chapel. I can confirm that my Tuborg was served in a 500 ml glass.