Fun facts

50 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

Eminem used a sample from Chas and Dave im without me

Chas and  Dave were originally going to call themselves  "The Rolling Stones" but decided against it.

Left it open for some other lot to grab the name.

April 15 is Federal Tax Payment Deadline in the U.S., although since the District of Columbia celebrates Emancipation Day on April 16, when April 15 and/or April 16 is on a weekend, it may delay the actual deadline.

• 3 months later...

Yonks ago, maps were commonly drawn with east at the top (ie not north) due to that being where the sun first appears. 

The word 'orientate' originates from this as folk would orientate their maps to make it so (cf. places in the east being referred to as The Orient).

I just learned that today.

On 04/08/2023 at 11:05, Hedgecutter said:

Yonks ago, maps were commonly drawn with east at the top (ie not north) due to that being where the sun first appears. 

The word 'orientate' originates from this as folk would orientate their maps to make it so (cf. places in the east being referred to as The Orient).

Fun fact thread back with a bang here.

Mediaeval maps had Jerusalem in the middle as that was the Holy City.

If you think about it cosmologically there's no reason why North should be "up" and South "down"

I assume you’ve just watched the latest episode of Map Men. Will post for others.