Fun facts

17 hours ago, scottsdad said:

He is on my subs bench, even though he is in his 90s now. Looks a bit too fit and healthy 

People just drop when they get to that age, unfortunately.

I remember thinking that Christopher Lee seemed like he'd go on forever, and was working more than ever. Then, suddenly, he was just gone.

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

.. and he couldn't sing and he wasn't willing to shave off his beard, and he was involved in a whole bunch of gruesome murders and he just wasn't the right look.

Next.

Stephen Stills auditioned for The Monkees but suggested his pal Mike Nesmith would be a better choice.

48 minutes ago, BFTD said:

People just drop when they get to that age, unfortunately.

I remember thinking that Christopher Lee seemed like he'd go on forever, and was working more than ever. Then, suddenly, he was just gone.

Of the originals, only Shatner, Takei and Koenig are left. I do wonder who will go first. My money is on Koenig. 

15 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Of the originals, only Shatner, Takei and Koenig are left. I do wonder who will go first. My money is on Koenig. 

George Takei's arch bitchiness  is possibly the only thing I miss about Facebook.

oh-my-george-takei.gif

Listerine was invented in the 19thC as a powerful surgical antiseptic. It then went on to be sold, in distilled form, as a floor cleaner. Then as a cure for gonorrhea. It wasn't a bad breath "cure" until the 1920s. This was more successful. The company's revenue went from 115,000 dollars to more than 8 million dollars.

The British army used one million horses and 20,000 dogs in world war one. Given that these facts were presented by Tony Robinson on the telly, i was particularly disappointed not to be informed of any pigeon statistics. 

The British science museum says "over 100,000".

5 hours ago, coprolite said:

The British army used one million horses and 20,000 dogs in world war one. Given that these facts were presented by Tony Robinson on the telly, i was particularly disappointed not to be informed of any pigeon statistics. 

The British science museum says "over 100,000".

The Nazis used 2.75 million horses in WW2.  It was their main mode of transport.

On 02/01/2023 at 10:37, The Skelpit Lug said:

Listerine was invented in the 19thC as a powerful surgical antiseptic. It then went on to be sold, in distilled form, as a floor cleaner. Then as a cure for gonorrhea. It wasn't a bad breath "cure" until the 1920s. This was more successful. The company's revenue went from 115,000 dollars to more than 8 million dollars.

They also invented the "medical condition" halitosis in order to sell their floor cleaner to people with stinky breath.

34 minutes ago, BFTD said:

They also invented the "medical condition" halitosis in order to sell their floor cleaner to people with stinky breath.

Yep, just shows you can fool all of the people all of the time ... as long as the advertising budget's big enough.

10 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

This could be well-known for all I know, but I only just learned that the word 'scuba' is an acronym for Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus.

Why do Scuba divers roll off the boat backwards?

Spoiler

Because if they rolled forwards, they would still be on the boat.

On 31/12/2022 at 10:24, BFTD said:

George Takei's arch bitchiness  is possibly the only thing I miss about Facebook.

oh-my-george-takei.gif

Star Trek ran for 79 episodes. 

Of these, George Takei appeared in 52, Nichelle Nichols in 69, Majel Barrett in 34, James Doohan in 66 and Walter Koenig in 36

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Star Trek ran for 79 episodes. 

Of these, George Takei appeared in 52, Nichelle Nichols in 69, Majel Barrett in 34, James Doohan in 66 and Walter Koenig in 36

You forgot to mention Eddie Paskey who starred in 60 episodes, mostly as Lt Leslie.

He starred in every episode of Season 2 despite his character being killed in episode 13 of that season.

Oops.