Time to go Steve Clarke

I am pissed off with the way Clarke set up the team. McTominay is not a defender and pairing Adams with Dykes is just asking for the ball to be punted time after time.

In fact, I'm fairly confident that was the game plan anyway, which is depressing given how our midfield have shown they can play.

However, he's done better than most Scotland managers of late and I'm 99% sure that whoever replaced him would do a worse job - so it's a no brainer really.

Hail Steve - just do better!

2 minutes ago, Loominous said:

I think Steve Clarke has been the best thing that's happened to Scotland and I wouldn't support calls to change things because last nights game didn't go well.

• He has created a good club like feeling amongst the players.
  • Reconnected supporters to the national team.
  • His results have been really good overall including getting us to Euro 2020 and the 2022 World Cup Playoff.
  • He has involved young players.
  • Trusted Scottish based players.
  • Developed the team to one that is capable of playing a really nice style of football since Euro 2020.

I don't really get why anyone would want him punted just now. 

Pretty much agree with this. He definitely needs to find a few more strings to his bow though for fixtures like last night's.

Just now, Gordopolis said:

Pretty much agree with this. He definitely needs to find a few more strings to his bow though for fixtures like last night's.

Do you not think he's got better players to choose from than previous managers?

More players playing at a higher level and better young players than we have seen for a long time.

Give Strachans team or even mcleishs team better players and results would have improved.

I thought I’d landed back in a discussion about Callum Davidson and St Johnstone. Similar to our season just ended. Initial success but then a rigid system, players out of position and so much to be unhappy about, it would seem.

2 hours ago, andrewh said:

I thought I’d landed back in a discussion about Callum Davidson and St Johnstone. Similar to our season just ended. Initial success but then a rigid system, players out of position and so much to be unhappy about, it would seem.

nah, it's fine - it's only one game mate.  @BingMcCrosbyis just chucking his toys out the pram and making a tit of himself again out of frustration at one bad performance. 👍

Edited by 2426255

Not for me. He's earned another crack at the Nations League and the Euro qualifiers.

People forget how far we've come from getting horsed in fucking Kazakhstan.

There is a slight sense with both last summer and last night, that we've plateaued slightly. We need to kick on again in the next 2 years, and it's on Clarke to adapt and evolve the tactics which have been slightly found out now.

A bad night last night but we’d won six competitive games in a row before then and played some good stuff in the process. Strange to see people suggest things have gone stale or that Clarke has been “found out”. He got it wrong vs Ukraine but he’s definitely the man for the job overall.

I like Clarke. He seems a good spud.

That said, surely he watches the same game we do. It was obvious from early on that his tactics weren’t working and we were in trouble. I suppose it’s not that easy to change things mid game when it’s going that wrong, but waiting until there’s been a load of near misses, then we’ve conceded two goals, isn’t going to win you games. 

Still, I suppose you can’t get the tactics right every time. Hopefully we can get back to winning ways soon. 

Pretty much never, which was why it was initially a surprise that he was so wedded to it.

He started out with Scotland trying to play the same way as he did with Killie and we were mostly struggling, which is why he ended up switching in the first place.

3 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I like Clarke. He seems a good spud.

That said, surely he watches the same game we do. It was obvious from early on that his tactics weren’t working and we were in trouble. I suppose it’s not that easy to change things mid game when it’s going that wrong, but waiting until there’s been a load of near misses, then we’ve conceded two goals, isn’t going to win you games. 

Still, I suppose you can’t get the tactics right every time. Hopefully we can get back to winning ways soon. 

It's not easy to move a midfielder who is playing in defence up into midfield,  by saying,  you, move up into midfield 

I obviously knew the feelings on this board would be pro Clarke. I watched the game in a large group offshore, probably 50 guys and the feeling overall that the manager got it wrong an should walk.

So im not sure this board represents the wider feeling accurately.

5 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I obviously knew the feelings on this board would be pro Clarke. I watched the game in a large group offshore, probably 50 guys and the feeling overall that the manager got it wrong an should walk.

So im not sure this board represents the wider feeling accurately.

Because we lost one game? :lol:

Ukraine were simply much better than us. Many people really underestimated them- I am not sure why. Sometimes you just have to accept that you've lost to a much better team, who I expect to gub Wales too & qualify.

Yes it was a disappointing display from Scotland but Clarke's tenure has been overwhelmingly positive and calls for his departure are pretty ridiculous, at this stage.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

As shit as we were last night, there is no way he should be going anywhere.

Having said that, It is all well and good getting to the play-offs,  but he needs to work on their mentality in the big games.

Blowing a winning position in the last Nations League and last night’s calamity need to be addressed. 

Aye I don’t think he should go, however he needs to stop making a cunt of it in big games. That’s Czech Republic and Croatia at the Euros and last night in the space of a year. 3 huge games and we’ve been laughable in all 3.