Time to go Steve Clarke

The popular opinion (and mine) at the time was that Clarke's 3-5-2 formation and hoofball approach was not making the best use of the players we had. It's easy to look at past posts after the team clicks beautifully and pretend that you totally knew it was going to work out ok in the end, or that those who dared question Clarke are lesser fitba intellects than you. 

Starting a thread on it actually takes a bit of courage as you know there's going to be a lot of flak coming your way, and before more obtuse minds give it the "it's anonymous and they're just red circles" pish, this stuff does have an impact.

We had a great night. Clarke taught a few of us a lesson in patience and faith and he has the reins now for as long as he wants them. Let's just enjoy it without the smug schoolboy stuff.

59 minutes ago, velo army said:

The popular opinion (and mine) at the time was that Clarke's 3-5-2 formation and hoofball approach was not making the best use of the players we had. It's easy to look at past posts after the team clicks beautifully and pretend that you totally knew it was going to work out ok in the end, or that those who dared question Clarke are lesser fitba intellects than you. 

Starting a thread on it actually takes a bit of courage as you know there's going to be a lot of flak coming your way, and before more obtuse minds give it the "it's anonymous and they're just red circles" pish, this stuff does have an impact.

We had a great night. Clarke taught a few of us a lesson in patience and faith and he has the reins now for as long as he wants them. Let's just enjoy it without the smug schoolboy stuff.

You live and die by your opinions on a forum. If you get it badly wrong then you have to wear it I'm afraid. I've said some absolute nonsense on here and folk have rightly dug it out.

On 23/06/2021 at 22:52, Bob Mahelp said:

He's effectively been saved by 2 penalty shoot out wins

On 29/07/2021 at 11:44, ceudmilefailte said:

That failure is more relevant than his ability to win a couple of penalty shoot outs.

On 02/09/2021 at 08:00, John Lambies Doos said:

He won two penalty shootouts and was hailed as the messiah, thats all he's done

On 02/09/2021 at 15:28, Diamonds are Forever said:

and even then we needed 2 penalty shoot-outs

Excellent, bring on the fucking Italians.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

You live and die by your opinions on a forum. If you get it badly wrong then you have to wear it I'm afraid. I've said some absolute nonsense on here and folk have rightly dug it out.

That's some hyper macho nonsense, or at the very least a projection of your own stuff. Being wedded to your opinions is a mark of insecurity, and one that we all fall victim to now and again. It's a sign of vulnerability (and therefore strength) to go "aye I was talking shite then, I don't think that way now" and you should be allowed to move on. Digging up stuff from ages ago that was absolutely valid at the time is juvenile and wee guy behaviour and forces people to continue to identify with or defend positions they may no longer hold.

What's the intention in doing this? If, say, @DA Baracus whom you quote above is jumping about his living room and basking in the glow of a great Scotland victory, he may want to come on here and share the joy and love with his fellow Scotland fans. Instead he may find himself on the back foot, having to defend himself. I'm  making all of this up as I don't know the man, but you have to see how this "digging out" is designed to shame and denigrate rather than allowing someone to feel their own joy (and to share in yours) uninhibited.

As I said, wee guy behaviour. 

15 minutes ago, velo army said:

That's some hyper macho nonsense, or at the very least a projection of your own stuff. Being wedded to your opinions is a mark of insecurity, and one that we all fall victim to now and again. It's a sign of vulnerability (and therefore strength) to go "aye I was talking shite then, I don't think that way now" and you should be allowed to move on. Digging up stuff from ages ago that was absolutely valid at the time is juvenile and wee guy behaviour and forces people to continue to identify with or defend positions they may no longer hold.

What's the intention in doing this? If, say, @DA Baracus whom you quote above is jumping about his living room and basking in the glow of a great Scotland victory, he may want to come on here and share the joy and love with his fellow Scotland fans. Instead he may find himself on the back foot, having to defend himself. I'm  making all of this up as I don't know the man, but you have to see how this "digging out" is designed to shame and denigrate rather than allowing someone to feel their own joy (and to share in yours) uninhibited.

Come on, it's not like he's said that stuff 2 years ago, he said it in June. The stuff he's saying wasn't absolutely valid at the time, it's reactionary fan fickleness which has proven to be just that by actual, real events only 4 months later. There's no malice in craigkillie's post, simply emboldening parts which have turned out to be ridiculous. If we can't do that on a football forum then you're as well shutting it down. Should Bing not have been pulled up for starting the thread? Bing has held his hands up there and admitted he was wrong in the long run. Nobody has made any personal remarks, I don't see the issue here. 

Edited by The Moonster

4 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

How much do we think it’d cost to get a statue of Clarke in every town and city in Scotland? And should we do now or wait until after we’ve won the World Cup? 

It'll confuse future generations if they see statues erected in 2021 for an event that occurred in 2022, so I'd say now is the best option.

32 minutes ago, velo army said:

what a lot of guff that is, i said some stupid things about tierney, things i was off the mark about, questioning his character, was he really injured etc. Got called out on it quite rightly and now look at him, really fickle naive opinions and stupidly jumped on a bandwagon. Its actually "wee guy behaviour" to not admit you were wrong

28 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

How much do we think it’d cost to get a statue of Clarke in every town and city in Scotland? And should we do now or wait until after we’ve won the World Cup? 

Do the Steve Clarke statues now and we can use the winnings from the World Cup to pay for additional statues of John McGinn's arse. 

43 minutes ago, velo army said:

Hand wringing nonsense. 

The criticism wasn't valid at the time. We qualified for our first tournament in 23 years. We lost the last two nations league games despite playing really well. It was obvious to most we were making good progress and that there was not an obvious  managerial replacement for Clarke to make things even better. There were plenty on this thread who replied to me as though I was an idiot for pointing this out so they can take their medicine now, that's what pnb is all about.

The idea that this criticism forces folk to defend their previous nonsense is laughable. That's not generally what's happened except in your case.

Having said all this I would be inclined to leave off Bing in particular as it's obvious he's had enough and the points been made. Probably Monkey Tennis too.

I've never given an incorrect opinion or wild take on the whole of P&B in my 17 years of using it but if I ever did (unlikely TBQHWY) I'd own it and take it in my stride I reckon.