English Premier League 2021/22 Season

Just watching MOTD2, Maddison ‘wins’ the penalty for Leicester, it’s a clear pre-determined dive, he goes into to the defender, feet off the ground before his opponent gets anywhere near him. You would imagine that the use of VAR should address this blatant cheating, but no, it continues week in week out.[emoji849]

Conor Gallagher would have been written off by this forum after an underwhelming loan spell at WBA last year - sometimes players just click in a certain team or style.

I can't see Chelsea giving him the role they have in Crystal Palace (they have too many good attacking players), perhaps like Willock he will be transferred after the loan (someone like Newcastle will throw lots of money at him).

He was most certainly below Gilmour in the Chelsea pecking order this season and last season (Chelsea didn't even want to send Gilmour on loan - he forced the issue).

Edit: Fair play to Gallagher for killing it on my Fantasy Football though.

Edited by Satoshi

11 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Is Zaha one of the most overrated players in EPL history?

Not even close.

Every Man U academy graduate is automatically one of the best young players in Europe, Kiko Macheda and Januzaj being good examples.

About 15 years ago there was a clamour for Beckham's replacement which had a bunch of mediocre wide right players being bummed up. David Bentley, Aaron Lennon etc.

5 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Not even close.

Every Man U academy graduate is automatically one of the best young players in Europe, Kiko Macheda and Januzaj being good examples.

About 15 years ago there was a clamour for Beckham's replacement which had a bunch of mediocre wide right players being bummed up. David Bentley, Aaron Lennon etc.

Just like the Scottish media and Old Firm kids then.

11 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Conor Gallagher would have been written off by this forum after an underwhelming loan spell at WBA last year - sometimes players just click in a certain team or style.

This forum did exist last year and as far as I can tell nobody wrote him off.

37 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This forum did exist last year and as far as I can tell nobody wrote him off.

I'm referring to the response Gilmour has received for his Norwich loan.

Were Gallagher Scottish, and touted the way Gilmour is, he would have likely received the same response following his loan last season (to say nothing of successive poor loan spells like Kane had).

A lesson in being patient with young players, and football fans and observes being less fickle. 

And nobody wrote him off because he barely got a mention all season. Confirmed: zero mentions for Gallagher on this thread prior to this season.

Edited by Satoshi

Not even close.
In the 2000s the Arsenal kids always got trumpeted well beyond reality.

This team/result were/qas vaunted as proof of Arsenal's future domination. Where are they now?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/7626710.stm

The days after Christmas I'll be in London. For the Tuesday I'm still looking for a game to go to. Both Palace and Arsenal are at home but a membership is needed for both.

A bit of a long shot, but does anyone on here has, or know someone who has, a membership at either who could buy me a ticket?

10 hours ago, Charles Stiles said:

From the little I saw of Gallagher last season he was ok in a poor WBA team and did enough to notice him anyway. He's come on leaps and bounds this season as happens with young players but he was no dud last year. 

Wasn't suggesting that he was a dud. Nobody was seriously considered him staying at Chelsea and getting first team action, he was a tier below their top prospects.

But this is football and things change quickly. I don't think Mount would have gotten his chance if he hadn't worked with Lampad before and he took his chance.

Still, Cheslea don't play the same system as Crystal Palance and he is probably competing with their offensive midfielders like Mount, Havertz, Pulisic, Ziyech etc. He isn't at that level yet and I'd be surprised if he's a Chelsea regular next year (more likely he is sold like Arsenal did with Willock).

Until then, hope he keeps performing as he is dragging me up FF leagues.

3 hours ago, raith_94 said:

In the 2000s the Arsenal kids always got trumpeted well beyond reality.

This team/result were/qas vaunted as proof of Arsenal's future domination. Where are they now?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/7626710.stm

Some of them did become top players to be fair, not often you see so many younger players starting in one match even now.

Agreed on Zaha who has never been great statistically anyway, and seems to have lost the flair that used to make him stand out. He has been a complete failure everywhere he has been except Crystal Palace (and he will never get his move now, not even Newcastle would go for him). Grealish has Zaha vibes.

15 hours ago, Satoshi said:

I'm referring to the response Gilmour has received for his Norwich loan.

Were Gallagher Scottish, and touted the way Gilmour is, he would have likely received the same response following his loan last season (to say nothing of successive poor loan spells like Kane had).

A lesson in being patient with young players, and football fans and observes being less fickle. 

And nobody wrote him off because he barely got a mention all season. Confirmed: zero mentions for Gallagher on this thread prior to this season.

Someone on this forum said Gilmour was better than Kante.