English Premier League 2021/22 Season

This probably won’t go down well on here but Andy Robertson is an utter bell end.
Not even Ramos levels of bell end, Neil Lennon levels of bell ends.

He definitely is. I think he's a great player and am delighted he's Scottish but I don't think there's much doubt he's a wee dick on the park.

1 minute ago, Proposition Joe said:

Aye, I think the rules actually state that denying someone a clear goalscoring opportunity with your hand is an automatic red.

Law 12:

SENDING-OFF OFFENCES

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off:

denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)

Just now, Gianfranco said:

I wouldn’t be against that if the referees were consistent with it.

Aye, I think this is the issue!

I've mentioned this on here before, but in hockey, everyone thinks the ball can't hit a foot or it's a foul. It's only given as a foul if it's deliberate or the other team is disadvantaged by it (eg a defender gains possession of the ball as a result, or it stops it running through to another attacker, or indeed stops it going in the goal!). If there is no-one near you, and the ball trundles into your feet accidentally, it's play-on.

In theory, written down, that looks complex, but in practice it's fairly straightforward. I'd make that the handball rule in football tbh.

Having seen it again I'm more convinced that under the current rules it shouldn't have been a penalty. The ball was already moving away from James by the time his arm comes forward, and it doesn't make any more contact with the ball. 

Personally that should always be a penalty, but shouldn't have been a red, the ref had no choice because the rules are stupid.

3 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Law 12:

SENDING-OFF OFFENCES

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off:

denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)

Aye, really needs the word deliberate in there somewhere.

6 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Odd decision by Tuchel to take off Kante. He's exactly what a team needs in midfields when playing with 10 men. Injured?

Yeah, I believe it would have been from the tackle that required him to get some treatment for in the first half. Looked at sore one

Surely thats covered by saying a handball offence rather than just a handball.

The ref then has the discretion to call it an offence under whatever the f**k the rule says re what constitutes a handball offence this week.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Having seen it again I'm more convinced that under the current rules it shouldn't have been a penalty. The ball was already moving away from James by the time his arm comes forward, and it doesn't make any more contact with the ball. 

Personally that should always be a penalty, but shouldn't have been a red, the ref had no choice because the rules are stupid.

The good thing is that in one of the Barclays flagship matches, the referee is once again the main talking point.

Its all about Taylor !!

42 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Lolverpool are nowhere near the same level they were 2 or 3 seasons ago.

In their last 12 league games they've won 10, drawn 2 and lost none.

They seemed to struggle with a title hangover last season, with the very short close season, a squad that's reliant on a small number of players and an injury crisis at the back. They've not hit the heights of pre-Covid but they did go on one of the best runs ever seen in top-level football, so that's hardly a failure.

5 minutes ago, Proposition Joe said:

"Deliberate" is in the offence. So if it's a deliberate handball on the line, it's hard to see how it's not a red card.

If it's not deliberate or an arm in an unnatural position, it's not a penalty.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

If he'd yanked his arm away from the ball he might well have got away with it. But he pushed the ball away with his arm, so he was fkd.

I agree that the ref could do with being allowed a bit more discretion there. But fans don't want that cos cOnSiStEnCy. 

13 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Surely thats covered by saying a handball offence rather than just a handball.

The ref then has the discretion to call it an offence under whatever the f**k the rule says re what constitutes a handball offence this week.

There's plenty room between penalty and a red card and no penalty no card, which appear to be the only options for the referee in that sort of situation.

A penalty would have sufficed there, a yellow at a stretch.