Kilwinning Rangers 23/24

2 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

lololol,  Honestly the crap people talk on here.

No he wasn't. Gormley was sacked with about 16 games to go or something like that to stay up, sure it was the Cumnock 5.2 defeat was the final straw and think it was January he was gone.   The new guy had plenty of time as Kilwinning had games in hand when he took over, but the new manager brought back players who were out on loan who were not deemed good enough but Gormley and the coaching staff for that level and so it proved as fans were moaning about the players not good enough either.  Don't think Gormley can hold his head high with Kilwinning but he should have been allowed to stay longer and try and get out fo the slump.

It was the committee, and new chairman, who got rid of him to early and chose the guy who did put Kilwinning Down

Franko making a james hunt of himself. 

Pleasing 🤣

Sadly, there's no chance of Buffs being promoted now.

I'm sure the manager and his players have tried their best, but the committee have a big decision to make now.

Aitken did have plenty of games to keep us in the premier. This season, we just didn't have the squad refresh required and started off really slowly. Individual errors, particularly in defence and a pretty bizarre goalkeeping situation have cost us dearly this season.

It's time to start planning for next season now.

I thought we were a bit unfortunate yesterday - I didn't think we deserved to lose and thought we had the bulk of the play. But I suppose the match summed up our season in many ways.

Although an eternal optimist when it comes to football, I agree we won't get promoted now and I'm not sure where we turn to next - I can't imagine the manager will want to stay either.  Apart from a decent spell earlier in the season the club has been on a bit of a slide for the past 2.5 years and I'm not quite sure how you arrest that.  Having said that I don't actually think we are too far away from (relative) success - considering the gloom around the place the team have fought well to get over the awful start to the season and get into the top 3 for a good length of time - even if it's been an artificially high placing due to other teams having games in hand.

5 hours ago, energyzone said:

I thought we were a bit unfortunate yesterday - I didn't think we deserved to lose and thought we had the bulk of the play. But I suppose the match summed up our season in many ways.

Although an eternal optimist when it comes to football, I agree we won't get promoted now and I'm not sure where we turn to next - I can't imagine the manager will want to stay either.  Apart from a decent spell earlier in the season the club has been on a bit of a slide for the past 2.5 years and I'm not quite sure how you arrest that.  Having said that I don't actually think we are too far away from (relative) success - considering the gloom around the place the team have fought well to get over the awful start to the season and get into the top 3 for a good length of time - even if it's been an artificially high placing due to other teams having games in hand.

Would you keep the manager?

12 hours ago, Thejackdaw said:

Hello gormley

Jeez. For the record Gormley did enormous damage by signing pensioner pros who were well past it and shown up as such. Equally bad, the club let him! 

But yeah, ‘hello Gormley’

Agree with you about yesterday’s game Energyzone. Thought we were better team first half. Sending off killed us - although the boys worked incredibly hard to get back into the game after it. 
Realistic promotion hopes may have ended yesterday but it’s the defeats to teams not in the promotion race that have really scuppered them - think Maybole, Renfrew, St Rochs, Thorniewood, and Whitletts.

I don’t know if Chris Aitken will continue next season. My main gripe with him is that we were in poor shape (in terms of the playing squad not fitness) when the season started. I think most Buffs fans were expecting a hectic close season with a big turnaround in personnel -instead it was incredibly quiet.

2 hours ago, funky monkey said:

Would you keep the manager?

I think so.  As I said, I'm an optimist and always like to give people the benefit of the doubt. I think a team coached by Ian Durrant should be playing better football but maybe it's the personnel who aren't up to it.  Having said that, the fact that no team has pulled away from the pack suggests that our achilles heels - consistency and basic mistakes - are endemic at this level.  So maybe we are expecting too much and this division is just about grinding your way to promotion.  So I'm not sure that any other manager would be much better.  

4 hours ago, energyzone said:

I think so.  As I said, I'm an optimist and always like to give people the benefit of the doubt. I think a team coached by Ian Durrant should be playing better football but maybe it's the personnel who aren't up to it.  Having said that, the fact that no team has pulled away from the pack suggests that our achilles heels - consistency and basic mistakes - are endemic at this level.  So maybe we are expecting too much and this division is just about grinding your way to promotion.  So I'm not sure that any other manager would be much better.  

I think the failure to renew/refresh the squad for the start of the season was just so disappointing. I've never been convinced with Aitken's recruitment or ability to get the players that we need for the budget that we have. It's all about having the right contacts, not all about the money.

That's been very kind too and excusing Chris for our relegation last season despite having lots of games to get us to safety.

On 17/03/2024 at 00:10, andy25 said:

Franko making a james hunt of himself. 

Pleasing 🤣

to be honest, your the one, people usually rip the pish out of.
you keep coming out with this name and that isnt me, but dumb shits can't be changed over night 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

I thought the team were excellent today. One mistake which led to the first Johnstone goal and then a lack of closing down which led to the second. Apart from that I can't think of many mistakes at all.  It was a stuffy match with not a great deal of quality but we were very disciplined and deserved the win.

The midfield were very good and I thought the defence was very composed and knocked the ball around well. The second equaliser was a real sucker punch and came from nowhere.  But to go up the park and score the winner was fantastic. We've heard plenty of criticism of the team when things haven't gone our way so plenty of credit is due for the way they didn't feel sorry for themselves at that point and went on to win it. Great scenes at the end with the players celebrating with the young team and another good travelling support.

What a fantastic ground Keanie Park is - my first time visiting and I was very impressed.

34 minutes ago, Shanner said:

how's Boylan playing since he went back?

He's been ok, he's been asked to do a lot of running and unglamorous work. When he was previously with us he was in a better team (and 5 years younger) and probably had a lot more action in front of goal.  We are missing our two main strikers through long term injury so it's been hard for Boylan and Gavin Millar, who are both natural wingers, to essentially hold the entire frontline and do the dirty work as well as score goals.

6 minutes ago, energyzone said:

He's been ok, he's been asked to do a lot of running and unglamorous work. When he was previously with us he was in a better team (and 5 years younger) and probably had a lot more action in front of goal.  We are missing our two main strikers through long term injury so it's been hard for Boylan and Gavin Millar, who are both natural wingers, to essentially hold the entire frontline and do the dirty work as well as score goals.

he has a cracking attitude to the dirty work stuff. he's as hard-working a forward as you'll ever see but as you say, it keeps him away from goalscoring positions

2 hours ago, energyzone said:

I thought the team were excellent today. One mistake which led to the first Johnstone goal and then a lack of closing down which led to the second. Apart from that I can't think of many mistakes at all.  It was a stuffy match with not a great deal of quality but we were very disciplined and deserved the win.

The midfield were very good and I thought the defence was very composed and knocked the ball around well. The second equaliser was a real sucker punch and came from nowhere.  But to go up the park and score the winner was fantastic. We've heard plenty of criticism of the team when things haven't gone our way so plenty of credit is due for the way they didn't feel sorry for themselves at that point and went on to win it. Great scenes at the end with the players celebrating with the young team and another good travelling support.

What a fantastic ground Keanie Park is - my first time visiting and I was very impressed.

Completely agree 👍

On 17/03/2024 at 17:46, funky monkey said:

I think the failure to renew/refresh the squad for the start of the season was just so disappointing. I've never been convinced with Aitken's recruitment or ability to get the players that we need for the budget that we have. It's all about having the right contacts, not all about the money.

That's been very kind too and excusing Chris for our relegation last season despite having lots of games to get us to safety.

Five wins out of five and Buffs are up 🔮⚽✊💙

All five are definitely winnable but none of them are easy. The start of the season was a sticky patch, we then went on a good run and had another downturn in form. Hopefully last week's last-gasp winner will improve the morale and give the team some belief that it is possible.  It's also possible to lose all five mind you!