Kilwinning Rangers 23/24

1 hour ago, funky monkey said:

Looks like we both suffered with our strikers. Dylan Mackin is out for the season and Graham Boyd is playing through an injury/illness and leading our line alone. That's why getting Bryan Boylan in is such a good piece of business.

Mates didn't mention the sending off much. From our perspective it was probably too late to make much of a difference.

It's a tough league. From what you've seen, which clubs do you think are favourites for promotion?

The big spending clubs will undoubtedly have an advantage over the clubs who can't go out and spend money like that. So Johnstone Burgh, Drumchapel United, Kilwinning Rangers (not necessarily in that order) will unquestionably have an advantage over the likes of Petershill, Blantyre, Shotts, Glencairn and Ashfield. When we're short of striking options, we've signed a talented u20s player on loan. When Kilwinning are short of striking options, they go and buy a top rated striker from Auchinleck Talbot. There's the difference.

2 hours ago, glensmad said:

The big spending clubs will undoubtedly have an advantage over the clubs who can't go out and spend money like that. So Johnstone Burgh, Drumchapel United, Kilwinning Rangers (not necessarily in that order) will unquestionably have an advantage over the likes of Petershill, Blantyre, Shotts, Glencairn and Ashfield. When we're short of striking options, we've signed a talented u20s player on loan. When Kilwinning are short of striking options, they go and buy a top rated striker from Auchinleck Talbot. There's the difference.

Whilst I'm not on the committee, as a season ticket holder and shareholder, I know that the Buffs aren't made of money and haven't been for a while.

Recent signings have come on a tight budget, freebies, boys from the town etc.

It's been rumoured for a while that Boylan was looking to move on from Talbot due to travelling. We are a perfect fit as he lives in the town. I'm sure any deal is based upon these things rather than any great deal of money.

Despite what some still think, we are not a big money club.

A number of players from our 20s are on dual contracts and have played for our first team this season.

Edited by funky monkey

2 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

Whilst I'm not on the committee, as a season ticket holder and shareholder, I know that the Buffs aren't made of money and haven't been for a while.

Recent signings have come on a tight budget, freebies, boys from the town etc.

It's been rumoured for a while that Boylan was looking to move on from Talbot due to travelling. We are a perfect fit as he lives in the town. I'm sure any deal is based upon these things rather than any great deal of money.

Despite what some still think, we are not a big money club.

A number of players from our 20s are on dual contracts and have played for our first team this season.

Under 20s players are not on dual contracts, they are all signed as first team players.

8 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

That's how they've been described to me. Doesn't really matter to be fair, they are getting first team experience.

All of the u20s are signed on the same registration form as the first team players, and they're available to play for the first team at any time. Similarly the first team players over the age of 20 can play a certain number of times each season for the u20s. So in a sense you are correct, they are "dual contracts", but normally that phrase is used for players registered to SYFA clubs who are also contracted to WoSFL clubs. You stated that "a number of players from our u20s are on dual contracts", when the reality is that all u20s players at all WoSFL clubs are on the same arrangement.

The important point is that a number of Buffs u20s have seen game time with our first team.

We didn't make many signings over the summer and that gave our u20s an opportunity to bed in around the first team squad. 

Since moving ground to KSC, Buffs have always stated the aim to use the pathway.

Funnily enough, despite us signing Boylan from Talbot, he is a Kilwinning boy and product of our pathway.

At a loose end tomorrow night?

Get yourself along to Buffs Park for what should be a cracker.

The reverse fixture earlier in the season finished 3 2 to Drumchapel in a highly competitive game. Therefore, plenty motivation for the Buffs to go after the 3 points in this one.

FB_IMG_1703756567060.jpg

Cracking entertainment at Buffs Park tonight.

Prodigal son Bryan Boylan returns with an all action performance, two goals and an assist. What an asset he's going to be for Buffs push for promotion.

Great banter with a healthy support from Drumchapel too.

Football at our level, can't beat it.

FB_IMG_1703888413889.jpg

I think that's the first time we've been in the top 3 all season.  But Drumchapel, Rutherglen, Ashfield, Johnstone and Shotts all have games in hand and could overtake us if they win them (obviously some will take points off each other).  It must be one of the most competitive leagues in the country.

We could have done with Gavin Millar last night when it was clear Graham Boyd was exhausted., his suspension could have cost us.  But it was a great team performance and a great return from Boylan.

Yes, we are in a slightly false position in the league with all of the games in hand kicking around.

Really difficult to look at the league and say who the favourites from promotion are, such a competitive league.

Boylan could be a game changer for us. Obviously he's still a top quality front man, great to have him back.

With the experience of Semple, McGregor and Coleman added to our defence, there's now a great balance to our squad.

5 hours ago, Peter Culter said:

Forgotten man Dario Nimmo completes transfer to Ardeer Thistle.

Nothing from us regarding this but confirmed by his new club.

We were talking about him the other night. Despite several injury issues in the squad, Nimmo just seemed to disappear. Never saw much action at Buffs, good luck to him at Ardeer.

On 01/01/2024 at 13:09, Peter Culter said:

Forgotten man Dario Nimmo completes transfer to Ardeer Thistle.

Nothing from us regarding this but confirmed by his new club.

Dario asked to be released as he was planning to step away from football due to work commitments and asked that we didn’t make a big deal about it.  Which I respected, and didn’t know he was signing for Ardeer until it was posted 

A really poor day at the office. Two in front, switched off, some really fundamental errors and down 3 2 before HT.

Rightly awarded a penalty at the start of the second half to get back on terms, almost immediately we once against passed the ball straight to one of their players who gladly steered the ball home for the winner.

5 points out of 15 over the festive period suggests this Buffs side isn't good enough for promotion.

FB_IMG_1704563271543.jpg

Boylan was ill today.

The concerning thing was that after we scored our two goals (and after the Whitletts goalkeeper made two really good saves) we ceded total control of the match and at no point until the last 15 minutes, when Whitletts naturally dropped back, did we look like we had any idea how to regain the momentum.  We constantly seemed to be outnumbered in midfield and attack and I'm not sure we won a single header all match.  We desperately needed someone to take control but there didn't seem to be much in the way of a change in formation or tactics to deal with the situation.

The "goal" by Graham Boyd may well have been over the line which would have put a brighter note on the scoreline, but I thought we were outfought for the majority of the match and didn't really have a clue how to break down a well organised and committed opponent.

As an aside, the Whitletts support was one of the best I've seen at Buffs Park in a long time.