Kilwinning Rangers 23/24

7 hours ago, Size Five said:

Just watched the highlights and that is indeed a very poor crowd by the look of it. 

Has the community lost interest or are the club themselves not doing enough to attract fans other than the same social media ‘next game’ posts? 

The crowds haven't been great at all recently and it's hard to muster up enthusiasm at this level - no offence to any other club in the league but most of Kilwinning's local rivals are in the league above or below.  There are only 4 Ayrshire clubs in the First Division (two of which are Whitletts and Maybole) and the sense of local rivalry and the associated interest just isn't there.

Coupled with both Kilmarnock and Rangers playing at home yesterday, a game v Cambuslang when neither team is playing that well isn't going to tempt many people to turn out.

It’s a very competitive league but it holds very little appeal except to the hardcore supporters who turn up every week. Only real way to boost the gates would have been to have mounted a sustained challenge for the league from the beginning - which we singularly failed to do. Having recovered from an awful start we lost our way again recently and momentum and consequently gate money has been lost.

On a positive note we did get the points yesterday albeit against a poor Cambuslang team. Highlight for me yesterday was a comment from the crowd aimed at Langs diminutive left winger who went to ground very easily after an innocuous challenge -  “he collapsed like an MFI wardrobe”.

1 minute ago, Park the Buffs said:

On a positive note we did get the points yesterday albeit against a poor Cambuslang team. Highlight for me yesterday was a comment from the crowd aimed at Langs diminutive left winger who went to ground very easily after an innocuous challenge -  “he collapsed like an MFI wardrobe”.

McGinty dived three times against us as well, one of them was particularly laughable. He's a good player, but he needs to cut out that nonsense.

53 minutes ago, Black Pennel said:

His dad thinks the lad is a wonderful talent who should play at a far higher level.

His dad may (understandably) be a wee bit biased.

The rest of us just see a diving cheat.

He turned out for us in 1 game several years ago and his old man was telling us how he should be playing at a high level. He was let go on the Monday after taking the huff and walking out at training for being asked by the then coach staff to do something he didn't want to do!

Crowds have been poor all season at Buffs Park.

Lack of Ayrshire opposition is definitely an element.

Starting the season so poorly another.

Difficult to know what'll get the crowds returning again other than success on the park.

1 hour ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

He turned out for us in 1 game several years ago and his old man was telling us how he should be playing at a high level. He was let go on the Monday after taking the huff and walking out at training for being asked by the then coach staff to do something he didn't want to do!

Owen is skilful and on his day is a very good player. But Cambuslang are his sixth club in two years.

I do remember him leaving Arthurlie almost immediately after joining. He scored I think seven goals for Largs earlier that season, so he is clearly a good player. But that’s not all you need.

I won’t deny, if he keeps playing I’ll at least be glad for him. He’s still only 22 and a Largs man.

Edited by Josuke Higashikata

11 hours ago, funky monkey said:

Crowds have been poor all season at Buffs Park.

Lack of Ayrshire opposition is definitely an element.

Starting the season so poorly another.

Difficult to know what'll get the crowds returning again other than success on the park.

Credit to those who are trying to make things happen.

The Buffs Foundation is a great idea but I suspect subscriber numbers will have dropped alongside paying supporters.

Tranent 3 Kilwinning 0

Decimated with injuries and no strikers, Buffs fielded 3 u20s including Harvey Gilmour.

Despite this, the team battled hard against a competent Tranent side two leagues above us.

Of the 5 chances Tranent created, they scored with 3 of them. Buffs had a few half chances but struggled to test the Tranent goalkeeper.

Next up is Neilston at Brig O Lea in the league.

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, andy25 said:

Manager cant have much longer to go surely?

Personally, I hope not.

I’ve never rated him.

Was excited when the announcement was first made then realised it wasn’t Stevie so that initial excitement faded quickly.

I mentioned in an earlier post the only thing he has done from a coaching perspective is go on an unbeaten run with a team who, all things considered, should be going unbeaten in their league.

We can talk about Gormley and his reign but the facts and record books will show he is the Manager that took us down and he is the Manager who, it looks like, will fail in gaining us promotion.

That alone should leave the club with no other choice.

15 minutes ago, Peter Culter said:

Personally, I hope not.

I’ve never rated him.

Was excited when the announcement was first made then realised it wasn’t Stevie so that initial excitement faded quickly.

I mentioned in an earlier post the only thing he has done from a coaching perspective is go on an unbeaten run with a team who, all things considered, should be going unbeaten in their league.

We can talk about Gormley and his reign but the facts and record books will show he is the Manager that took us down and he is the Manager who, it looks like, will fail in gaining us promotion.

Aitken insisting in his post match interview that winning all their 6 remaining games will see them promoted. 

Cloud cuckoo land stuff. There is absolutely no chance they are capable of that. They have been wildly inconsistent all season. It’s obvious the mentality is not there in the group and Aitken’s body language suggests he doesn’t believe it for one second either. 

It really has been a very poor appointment and season. And one that could set the Buffs back many years. 

31 minutes ago, Size Five said:

Aitken insisting in his post match interview that winning all their 6 remaining games will see them promoted. 

Cloud cuckoo land stuff. There is absolutely no chance they are capable of that. They have been wildly inconsistent all season. It’s obvious the mentality is not there in the group and Aitken’s body language suggests he doesn’t believe it for one second either. 

It really has been a very poor appointment and season. And one that could set the Buffs back many years. 

Aitken has obviously failed to recognise that even if we do win all of our remaining matches (which we won’t) there are numerous teams that can still overtake us with the many games in hand that they have.

Did he not say that we had to win all ten or so in a previous post-match interview?

He’s tripping himself up with his nonsense.

2 hours ago, Peter Culter said:

Personally, I hope not.

I’ve never rated him.

lololol,  Honestly the crap people talk on here.

No he wasn't. Gormley was sacked with about 16 games to go or something like that to stay up, sure it was the Cumnock 5.2 defeat was the final straw and think it was January he was gone.   The new guy had plenty of time as Kilwinning had games in hand when he took over, but the new manager brought back players who were out on loan who were not deemed good enough but Gormley and the coaching staff for that level and so it proved as fans were moaning about the players not good enough either.  Don't think Gormley can hold his head high with Kilwinning but he should have been allowed to stay longer and try and get out fo the slump.

It was the committee, and new chairman, who got rid of him to early and chose the guy who did put Kilwinning Down

2 hours ago, Size Five said:

Hello gormley

25 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

lololol,  Honestly the crap people talk on here.

No he wasn't. Gormley was sacked with about 16 games to go or something like that to stay up, sure it was the Cumnock 5.2 defeat was the final straw and think it was January he was gone.   The new guy had plenty of time as Kilwinning had games in hand when he took over, but the new manager brought back players who were out on loan who were not deemed good enough but Gormley and the coaching staff for that level and so it proved as fans were moaning about the players not good enough either.  Don't think Gormley can hold his head high with Kilwinning but he should have been allowed to stay longer and try and get out fo the slump.

It was the committee, and new chairman, who got rid of him to early and chose the guy who did put Kilwinning Down

I think you've misread the post you are replying to - you've both said the same thing.