Raith Rovers vs Dunfermline Athletic

12 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

I’m just surprised that no Rovers fan questioned the club about this at the time.

It seems a serious situation that you’d expect people to remember fairly well.

Will try contacting Raith directly to see if they have any further information.

I did, I met them and would have ll of the e-mails backing up my description of events had I not changed jobs.

19 minutes ago, graeme_p said:

The club decided that only those with the Highest rate mobility were to get a free carer ticket. So basically Wheelchair users, the blind and deaf. You know "real disabilities"

Not quite sure thats the correct statement to use. As my son is Epileptic and whilst not going in to the "ins and outs" of his illness doesnt fall in to your categorising. However he is entitled to the Highest Rate Mobility, if they didnt have it set at some level, as someone has said earlier, at what disability would the club then set it at? (Loss of a finger etc). Unfortunately disabilities as you are no doubt aware are still grey areas, however things are improving but still there is room for improvement, not just at football level,  but also ministerial level.

However that is a different conversation for a different part of P&B :)

24 minutes ago, graeme_p said:

I will tell you first hand why the club thought it was being abused.

I DID meet with Bill Clarke and the Fans Director in the Board Room in Starks Park at this time. It was about 3 years ago.

The club decided that only those with the Highest rate mobility were to get a free carer ticket. So basically Wheelchair users, the blind and deaf. You know "real disabilities"

My son is an athlete, swimmer and runner, he is also AUTISTIC and needs a carer in social situations to keep him safe.

The DWP, Social work, Court and a list of medical professionals the length of my arm agree he needs care.

Bill Clarke is a dinosaur who sat opposite me and tried to tell me despite employing a team of 4 carers and having Court issued guardianship order (on the table) allowing me to control all of his health care and financial decisions that because my son could walk unaided he shouldn't get a free carer to assist him in attending matches.

The system was NEVER being abused. Our Directors were of the opinion that it was because they were ignorant of what difficulties come with hidden disabilities.

The decision to remove concessions this year was 100% borne out of greed. Maybe just a coincidence that Bill Clarke returned to the club in the close season before this decision was taken. Yep sure it’s a coincidence.

As I have said before DAFC treat their fans with respect, pair them up with buddies and cater for them, we treat ours with contempt and suspicion.

Really sorry that happened to you. That’s awful. The club made a thing of their values recently and ‘inclusion’ was one where they talked about being a welcoming community club. Sounds like there may be still a distance to travel on this. Hopefully it’s not just empty words. 

18 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:
1 hour ago, TheScarf said:
I presume this is on the Beeb?

The game or the Panorama documentary?

Dunfermline Til I Die IMO.

Just now, Broken Algorithms said:
1 minute ago, TheScarf said:
Dunfermline Til I Die IMO.

Bald or Nothing: Raith Rovers and John McGlynn over the last fifteen years

God that's good.image.jpeg.91c30fa2674113cbcda7f4e8b9f3170e.jpeg

Currently feeling stupidly optimistic about this. By kick-off I’ll obviously be bricking it so just going to enjoy this zen like state. Trust in McGlynn
One of the best bits about Sunday was that there was zero expectation or pressure. People were a lot more patient and supportive of the players. My friend who even pre covid hadn't been to as many games over the last few years commented about how the folk at the back were making a really good atmosphere in the second half.

2 hours ago, graeme_p said:

I will tell you first hand why the club thought it was being abused.

I DID meet with Bill Clarke and the Fans Director in the Board Room in Starks Park at this time. It was about 3 years ago.

My son is an athlete, swimmer and runner, he is also AUTISTIC and needs a carer in social situations to keep him safe.

The DWP, Social work, Court and a list of medical professionals the length of my arm agree he needs care.

Bill Clarke is a dinosaur who sat opposite me and tried to tell me despite employing a team of 4 carers and having Court issued guardianship order (on the table) allowing me to control all of his health care and financial decisions that because my son could walk unaided he shouldn't get a free carer to assist him in attending matches.

The system was NEVER being abused. Our Directors were of the opinion that it was because they were ignorant of what difficulties come with hidden disabilities.

The decision to remove concessions this year was 100% borne out of greed. Maybe just a coincidence that Bill Clarke returned to the club in the close season before this decision was taken. Yep sure it’s a coincidence.

As I have said before DAFC treat their fans with respect, pair them up with buddies and cater for them, we treat ours with contempt and suspicion.

That’s disgraceful.

This issue goes beyond club loyalties imo. There should be an accepted minimum standard for how people living with a disability are treated in football grounds.

There are enough barriers when things run smoothly without making it harder than it needs to be.

1 hour ago, Cardle is Magic said:

That’s disgraceful.

This issue goes beyond club loyalties imo. There should be an accepted minimum standard for how people living with a disability are treated in football grounds.

There are enough barriers when things run smoothly without making it harder than it needs to be.

Agreed,

As with most other things in life, I would rather a few chancers got away with flouting the system to ensure those in need get adequate support. Pretty disappointed with what I'm reading on here WRT how the Rovers are treating disabled fans.

There are some very strange decisions coming out of the club currently, but going after disabled fans because they are not disabled enough is utterly fucking pathetic. 

As for Bill Clark I remember when Nicola Sturgeon came to Starks Park to speak to the girl's team. His introduction of her was reminiscent of a patronising uncle at a family occasion making an arse of himself.

I know a disabled chap who never has a carer when I see him down the street or in the pub. But in years gone by when he went to the Rovers the 'carer' suddenly appeared and in they went together. However, once inside the ground the two would go their separate ways because, as I've said, the disabled chap didn't/doesn't need a carer. I'm sure the club knew of this and other cases.

Fast forward a year or two and we find that, because of the poor behaviour of a few, the club has taken a heavy handed approach to all with the price of this year's season tickets. And that can't be right under any circumstances.

Maybe it's time for a rethink on the part of the board.

Edited by Beachbum