Who wants to live forever?

Thorongil

With Bezos and other billionaires investing in anti-aging research what do you think? 

Personally I’m all for humanity striving and trying to do the impossible. People would have laughed at the idea of magic screens with moving pictures on them or hand held magical communication devices, big metal shapes flying to the moon or all manner of things in the past. 

They might not achieve what they are setting out to achieve but maybe they’ll discover something useful and interesting.

what say you?

Life expectancy is dropping for the majority but I think it will become normal for the super rich to live well beyond 100. Phil the Greek the lived to 99 despite smoking and drinking heavily. 

I also expect new medicines and treatments to be developed that are restricted to the richest. That's already happening which is why Trump's and Chris Christie's Covid treatment isn't public knowledge.

1 hour ago, Thorongil said:

With Bezos and other billionaires investing in anti-aging research what do you think? 

Personally I’m all for humanity striving and trying to do the impossible. People would have laughed at the idea of magic screens with moving pictures on them or hand held magical communication devices, big metal shapes flying to the moon or all manner of things in the past. 

They might not achieve what they are setting out to achieve but maybe they’ll discover something useful and interesting.

what say you?

Doesn’t really matter though does it? Average life expectancy becomes 120, you’ll get your state pension at 115.

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

Life expectancy is dropping for the majority but I think it will become normal for the super rich to live well beyond 100. Phil the Greek the lived to 99 despite smoking and drinking heavily. 

I also expect new medicines and treatments to be developed that are restricted to the richest. That's already happening which is why Trump's and Chris Christie's Covid treatment isn't public knowledge.

The story I read said he quit smoking when he married Her Majesty.

22 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Lemmy doesn't.

He did change the lyrics in Ace of spades to add 'but apparently I am' after I don't want to live forever. He turned out to be wrong but still as a damn good stint, considering.

And no, I would hate to live forever. My body's fucked and I'm only 53. Another 20 max for me and hopefully miss out the wasting away in a home.

If I knew death was coming, a final acid trip would be a way to go.

2 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

And no, I would hate to live forever. My body's fucked and I'm only 53. Another 20 max for me and hopefully miss out the wasting away in a home.

If I knew death was coming, a final acid trip would be a way to go.

I'm 57 and everyday wee things that were in the realms of "ach, fuck it" are now becoming more serious.

Who's your acid supplier? 

34 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

If everyone else is living for ever also, might be ok.  But, if not. f**k watching everyone die, not for me Jeff.

If I thought I had to live forever only with the people who are around now I'd definitely kill myself. My only hope for the world is that future generations are better than us, because we suck.

6 minutes ago, GordonS said:

If I thought I had to live forever only with the people who are around now I'd definitely kill myself. My only hope for the world is that future generations are better than us, because we suck.

I was more or less talking about family and friends. Wouldn't be great watching your kids and then your grandkids die for example.